Altus, OKLAHOMA

Most Recent Altus Camping Reviews
Great weekend getaway

Nice clean park with the friendliest staff. Boating, kayaking, swimming, camping, hiking. We always enjoy our visits to this park. Facilities and grounds are well kept.

Good 1-night Stop Off

A nice place for a one night stop off. Nothing fancy. Owners are super nice. They offer military discount. They have a chicken coop and sell fresh eggs for $3/dozen. They have a small swimming pool. The old cotton gin on site is a cool feature. It was full of dusty furnishings. Looks like they used it as a venue in the past. The back row of the park appears to be full timers. Be prepared to hear trains blasting their horns all night long.

Good location

Fort Sill has a lot of history to view.  Great museums.  Full hookups.  Close to MT Scott and wildlife park.  You can reserve a spot online but they will not save your spot for you. I visit yearly and have never gotten the spot I reserved.

Good place to get away

A private company owns (I think) and operates the campground. It’s nice and clean with good amenities. It does fill up on weekends quickly. The campground itself isn’t what I go to WMWR for but I’m not at all disappointed by the campground. Lots of trees and wildlife. Bison can and do walk through the campground which unique and pretty amazing.

There’s lots to do in the Refuge like shorter and somewhat long hikes as well as fishing and non-motorized boating. Watching wildlife like the bison and prairie dogs are very entertaining and remarkable. The towns of Meers and Medicine Park have their unique offerings as well. WMWR is a fabulous place to get away for flatlanders….or anyone really.

Unique Anti-Suburban-Type Camping!

What a unique place! Stand-alone sites, each with a distinct character. It's like yours is the only occupied site and you have the run of the whole parcel.

Great walk-to bathroom. Hosts are very relaxed and helpful.

The property is interesting and beautiful. If you get bored there's the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge only a 15 minute drive away.

Would recommend anyone to go check it out. Take some cash they have peddle boats and kayaks you can rent and a little fun park with carnival type ride and water slides.

Nice little state park

Great little state park right on the shores of Tom Steed Reservoir. Sites are well spaced. Campground is well maintained. Good fishing. Lots of walking area around the lake. Friendly staff. Most all sites have a view of the water. You’ll need to make reservations to ensure you get a site. This is not a huge campground. It’s very quiet and relaxing. Not a lot of shade. Good view of the Witchita Mountain range in the background. The Witchita Wildlife Preserve is nearby and worth taking the family to see free roaming bison.

Wildlife refuge

Buffalo, deer, turkey, and more can be glimpsed here. Nearly Primitive camping in a gorgeous natural setting.

Peaceful and serene

If you are looking for peace and quiet this is the place. It is a National Dark Sky site and perfect for star gazing. The sites are almost 70 feet apart. Well maintained. Daily activities run by staff. Great hiking and a nice lake. Staff super friendly. If you love nature this is a great spot. It’s worth a couple day trip. They even have a herd of longhorn steer.

One of the best!!

The operators are so great they made every effort to accommodate us and make us feel welcome. They also make some of the best fried chicken onion rings and potato salad I have ever had. I highly recommend this place very pretty very safe very well maintained nice not so private camp sites. Some spaces around the outside are more private but we came in so late and kept the guy up I can not complain at all. But no public showers or bathrooms but its an rv park so that’s ok. They had everything else you could ask for. A beautiful Bon fire area too.

Can’t beat $12 a night

This campground is located between the city pool and golf course. Self check in. Sites are long pull throughs with 50 amp electric and water. A dump station is located on the road outside the park. No bathrooms unless you walk across to the public ones for the city park. No amenities, but easy, convenient and inexpensive That’s the reason for 4 stars.

Beautiful Wichita Mountains

The area is beautifully scenic and you will very likely see plenty of wildlife.  We saw bison, elk and coyotes.  We also enjoyed visiting the nearby town of Medicine Park.

Just a stop off at best

This site is located on Altus Air Force Base. It only has 12 sites. You must be a Department of Defense ID card holder to stay on base. The camp area has little to offer. It is only $17 a night and a good stop off if you are in the area. You do have the security of being on a military base.

Really nice place

We stayed at the lodge. Nice rooms. Really good restaurant. Nice hiking trails. Haven’t stayed at a campsite though.

Nice place to stay the night .

Good clean camp ground ..I have stayed here several times

Extremely popular for more than one reason

Weekends at WMWR (Wichita Mountains Wildife Refuge)are very popular beginning early in the camping season making it difficult to find open spots by Friday evening. But that doesn’t keep people from trying late into the night.

The facilities are well maintained and allow anyone to choose very primitive to RV hookup and car/tent camping also.   Always lots of friendly folks to visit and get hiking insights from. Many activities are available in WMWR. Hiking trails can be accessed directly from Doris Campground, or there are numerous other trails in other areas a short drive away. Carry in all your water with bovine (longhorn, buffalo) covering virtually all areas of the refuge. I have visited all months of the year.

Our go to place

We absolutely love camp Doris, because of the amazing wildlife that you see since you’re on a  nature preserve, The campsites and facilities are very well-maintained and clean, with plenty of shade trees, and amazing hiking very close by! From easy to very difficult trails you can see several different ecosystems along the trails.

Great area, lots of things to do

We camped here in May 2019 in the tent camping area right on the river, just below the dam.   There is no electricity for the tent sites.  There is water, but not at every tent site.  Each tent site had a picnic table, fire ring and grill.  This campsite caters to RV's and it looks like several of the RV's live there year round.  There is a store.  We were the only ones camping in the tent area until our last day, we stayed 3 nights.  There is a bathroom (no shower) at one end.  Other bathrooms in the campground have showers.  We drove to the bathroom by the store and took a shower one day.  Even though we were the only tent campers, there was an extreme amount of traffic on the road.  The area had record amounts of rain and all the gates on the dam were open which had not happened in 20 years.  So, there were a lot of locals that came to see it.  We climbed Quartz Mountain on the first day.  There is not a well marked trail, you just have to try and find the path of least resistance and not die.  The view is well worth the hike (hiking shoes are a must, lots of slick rock).  You can see all the surrounding mountains, the dam, the lake, etc. from the top.  There are many hiking trails, not very many bike trails.  There is a paved bike trail, but it's not very long.  We did use our bikes to ride around the campground and up on top of the dam.  Tent sites are $10/night. If you're looking for a campground with lots of amenities, this is a good one.

Solid

Staff super chill, lots of sites. Beautiful views of the lake and mountains - if you get a good spot. No reservations, first come first serve. Ice and firewood available to purchase on site. Great place in the midst of the mountains.

True hidden gem

We have tent camped and also used our 16 pull behind camper at an electric site. Campsites are on a first come first serve basis here. We love how quiet and clean the campgrounds always is, and the wildlife running through the campgrounds is incredible! Perfect place for families!

Safe and Quiet for an overnight

I stopped here for the night when traveling solo. The hosts are very sweet and the campground is tucked away, but very close, to the interstate. I had a pt fhu, even though I only I didn't even hook up I was so tired. There's a storm shelter on site too for those notorious Oklahoma storms. I would def stay here again!

Clean and safe

This place is very well maintained and so close to all the trails in Wichita Mountains. Just started doing more outdoor activities and this was the first campground in the area I went to. Highly recommend visiting this place and checking out the Bison Trail

Hidden gem

Great place to camp and unwind. The park hosts were awesome. Lots of wildlife. Great trails, but some can be challenging. Warm water in the Kiowa Campground. This is an IDSP, so it's great for astrophotography.

Clean and Family Friendly

The campgrounds were very well maintained, maps were very easy to navigate! I felt safe setting up my tent and leaving it for the day while our group went out to hike.

A great place for wildlife watching

From when I was younger I remember going to the Wichita Mountains to see the Holy City and the prairie dog city. It has always been a place of fond memories and a lot of fun for not only myself but the entire family. It wasn’t until more recent years however that I was aware that there was a camping area there right within the wildlife preserve itself.

In the footprint of the mountains this campground welcomes both tent and RV campers looking to enjoy an overnight stay or more lengthy stay.  Primitive camping is available with a park and walk through a short trail or in camp there are both electrical and non-electrical sites with prices ranging for these from $8 to $20.

I noticed that the in campground sites are pretty typical in that they offer both fire rings and picnic tables.  They do have a shower and restroom which is available during non-winter months and other toilets for usage during the cooler months.  They do have drinking water available here which is also nice considering distance to nearest stores.

The best feature of this campground is not the campground itself it is the access you have to the refuge area where you can on any given day see herds of deer, buffalo, long horn cattle, turkey and of course prairie dogs.  A lot of times you will find these wandering around into camp itself.

The area has become more and more popular for rock climbing and hiking with several people setting up basecamp at this campground.  This campground does have posted closings of gate hours so you cannot explore in the area past these posted times (during summer 10 during week or 11 on weekends).

TIPS:

• Check into the visitor center for lists of guided tours for Bald Eagle spotting and other tours.
  • Take a drive up Mount Scott for some of the best views in the area.
  • Listen for barking of the Prairie Dogs, this is how they warn one another of people in the area, it is very interesting to hear and if you drive by the sites where you see their mounds, pull off and roll down your windows you can watch and hear them.
What a Surprise!

This is a great park in far western Oklahoma! Not very much shade but Glen Creek is a diamond in the rough! Fun fun fun to paddle in the kayak!

One of my favorite places

Hands down one of my top favorite areas to be in. Loads of wildlife and loads of great trails to hike! Doris is the only campground to stay at if you want to be within the refuge, but there are a couple different campgrounds not too far away if it’s full. The only downside to the refuge as a whole, is they haven’t fixed stuff that has been broken for years. Its almost like they’re just letting it go and it’s sad. I’ve been coming here for years with my family as a kid and now married with my own family and things are still all the exact same. Overall it’s a great place to stay!

Favorite place to camp in Oklahoma

I stay regularly in the walk in campsites here. The walk in sites are 40 to a few hundred yards walk from the parking lot. Each campsite has a fire ring and concrete picnic table. Most have tree shade. You'll want to bring firewood and water. Don't expect cell service but there's a good chance you'll see wildlife.