Altus, OKLAHOMA
Most Recent Altus Camping Reviews
Our go to place

We absolutely love camp Doris, because of the amazing wildlife that you see since you’re on a  nature preserve, The campsites and facilities are very well-maintained and clean, with plenty of shade trees, and amazing hiking very close by! From easy to very difficult trails you can see several different ecosystems along the trails.

Great area, lots of things to do

We camped here in May 2019 in the tent camping area right on the river, just below the dam.   There is no electricity for the tent sites.  There is water, but not at every tent site.  Each tent site had a picnic table, fire ring and grill.  This campsite caters to RV's and it looks like several of the RV's live there year round.  There is a store.  We were the only ones camping in the tent area until our last day, we stayed 3 nights.  There is a bathroom (no shower) at one end.  Other bathrooms in the campground have showers.  We drove to the bathroom by the store and took a shower one day.  Even though we were the only tent campers, there was an extreme amount of traffic on the road.  The area had record amounts of rain and all the gates on the dam were open which had not happened in 20 years.  So, there were a lot of locals that came to see it.  We climbed Quartz Mountain on the first day.  There is not a well marked trail, you just have to try and find the path of least resistance and not die.  The view is well worth the hike (hiking shoes are a must, lots of slick rock).  You can see all the surrounding mountains, the dam, the lake, etc. from the top.  There are many hiking trails, not very many bike trails.  There is a paved bike trail, but it's not very long.  We did use our bikes to ride around the campground and up on top of the dam.  Tent sites are $10/night. If you're looking for a campground with lots of amenities, this is a good one.

Solid

Staff super chill, lots of sites. Beautiful views of the lake and mountains - if you get a good spot. No reservations, first come first serve. Ice and firewood available to purchase on site. Great place in the midst of the mountains.

True hidden gem

We have tent camped and also used our 16 pull behind camper at an electric site. Campsites are on a first come first serve basis here. We love how quiet and clean the campgrounds always is, and the wildlife running through the campgrounds is incredible! Perfect place for families!

Safe and Quiet for an overnight

I stopped here for the night when traveling solo. The hosts are very sweet and the campground is tucked away, but very close, to the interstate. I had a pt fhu, even though I only I didn't even hook up I was so tired. There's a storm shelter on site too for those notorious Oklahoma storms. I would def stay here again!

Clean and safe

This place is very well maintained and so close to all the trails in Wichita Mountains. Just started doing more outdoor activities and this was the first campground in the area I went to. Highly recommend visiting this place and checking out the Bison Trail

Hidden gem

Great place to camp and unwind. The park hosts were awesome. Lots of wildlife. Great trails, but some can be challenging. Warm water in the Kiowa Campground. This is an IDSP, so it's great for astrophotography.

Clean and Family Friendly

The campgrounds were very well maintained, maps were very easy to navigate! I felt safe setting up my tent and leaving it for the day while our group went out to hike.

A great place for wildlife watching

From when I was younger I remember going to the Wichita Mountains to see the Holy City and the prairie dog city. It has always been a place of fond memories and a lot of fun for not only myself but the entire family. It wasn’t until more recent years however that I was aware that there was a camping area there right within the wildlife preserve itself.

In the footprint of the mountains this campground welcomes both tent and RV campers looking to enjoy an overnight stay or more lengthy stay.  Primitive camping is available with a park and walk through a short trail or in camp there are both electrical and non-electrical sites with prices ranging for these from $8 to $20.

I noticed that the in campground sites are pretty typical in that they offer both fire rings and picnic tables.  They do have a shower and restroom which is available during non-winter months and other toilets for usage during the cooler months.  They do have drinking water available here which is also nice considering distance to nearest stores.

The best feature of this campground is not the campground itself it is the access you have to the refuge area where you can on any given day see herds of deer, buffalo, long horn cattle, turkey and of course prairie dogs.  A lot of times you will find these wandering around into camp itself.

The area has become more and more popular for rock climbing and hiking with several people setting up basecamp at this campground.  This campground does have posted closings of gate hours so you cannot explore in the area past these posted times (during summer 10 during week or 11 on weekends).

TIPS:

• Check into the visitor center for lists of guided tours for Bald Eagle spotting and other tours.
  • Take a drive up Mount Scott for some of the best views in the area.
  • Listen for barking of the Prairie Dogs, this is how they warn one another of people in the area, it is very interesting to hear and if you drive by the sites where you see their mounds, pull off and roll down your windows you can watch and hear them.
What a Surprise!

This is a great park in far western Oklahoma! Not very much shade but Glen Creek is a diamond in the rough! Fun fun fun to paddle in the kayak!

One of my favorite places

Hands down one of my top favorite areas to be in. Loads of wildlife and loads of great trails to hike! Doris is the only campground to stay at if you want to be within the refuge, but there are a couple different campgrounds not too far away if it’s full. The only downside to the refuge as a whole, is they haven’t fixed stuff that has been broken for years. Its almost like they’re just letting it go and it’s sad. I’ve been coming here for years with my family as a kid and now married with my own family and things are still all the exact same. Overall it’s a great place to stay!

Favorite place to camp in Oklahoma

I stay regularly in the walk in campsites here. The walk in sites are 40 to a few hundred yards walk from the parking lot. Each campsite has a fire ring and concrete picnic table. Most have tree shade. You'll want to bring firewood and water. Don't expect cell service but there's a good chance you'll see wildlife.

Amazing!

This so far is my absolute favorite place to camp in the northwest region of Oklahoma. At night you can hear elk. There is a variety of sites from RV, tents, and hike in sites. The park has free range elk, buffalo, and longhorn. Absolutely beautiful and has lots of sites but does fill up fast! Even in March and sometimes February!

nice campgrounds

went there and camped this last weekend . it was a great spot, friendly people, clean and close to everything .

Camp Doris is rustic

There are 20 rustic sites where campers carry all of their gear in to their site. These sites have a fire ring ans picnic table. Porta pots are near by. There are many sites where you can park and camp. The sites with electric hookups have a clean bathhouse. All of the water is under a boil order. Lakes, hiking trails, and wildlife are near by. there is not cell phone service.

Nice lake with great water activities

Well, the sites are very basic and there is a lack of trees. But there is a nice sandy beach area, waterslides, paddle boats and kayaks for rent, a restaurant and a playground in the camping area.

Wildlife everywhere

This camp site is one of my favorites. While it is very rustic and the bathrooms left much to be desired, there were animals everywhere, including bison and wild turkeys around camp. Great short hikes around camp and good proximity to town. Sites are basic and have both drive up and walk in sites.

Quiet, cozy campground.

This is one of my favorite campgrounds when I'm looking for quiet, relaxing camping. The sites are well spaced and the campground is always peaceful. There are nice short hiking trails nearby to enjoy as well. I do wish they had a better designated tent pad. Finding a level spot was a little tricky.

Great place!

My daughter and I tent camp as often as we can at Camp Doris.We brought our dog along this time. Camp sites are always clean and its quite.Lots of hiking to do at camp or nearby.

Great Spring Break!

This campground is great! Sites are nicely spaced and restrooms are clean. It was a little noisy after sundown with some surprisingly loud prairie dog barking! Also a few St. Patrick's Day partiers, but that's to be expected. Hiking in the area is great, but watch for ticks.

Pretty Cool

We camped here over New Years. It got down to 10°, which was crazy cold. This park is a dark sky park, but it was overcast while we were here, so I haven't seen that part of it, yet. The rangers and camp hosts were all very sweet. Bring a mallet and as thick of a mattress or pad as you can find - the campsites are rocky and the ground is very hard.

Desert camping

Campgrounds are modern with electricity, water, tables, and facilities nearby. The park is subject to being under a burn ban for a significant portion of the year. I forgot my shoes (this sounds crazy but it happens when you pack for five people and a dog), I really recommend having shoes at this campground. There are a lot of biting bugs and the trails are not easy to hike in flip flops. Trails are listed as being accessible for mountain biking, however they are not necessarily maintained for mountain biking. There is also a swimming area which makes the kids very happy.

Copper breaks is acknowledged as an International Dark Sky Park meaning that stargazing is spectacular. Kids can also catch fireflies, which are abundant in the evening and after dark.

Primitive Tent Camping

Get There early to get a good spot. There are lots up tent camping and electrical hook UPS for RVS. No street lights, a one shower building, no firewood. Firewood is available for purchase plus you must boil the water before you drink it. All the spots are very clean and have grills and fire pits.

Great Park

Great park with some great trails to hike. Restroom facilities are nice. Staff is amazing. We will go again!

Camping and great hiking

May always be full but if you get there early enough the spots are so great. Can really say have never had a bad spot. The staff is great and helpful.

Animals galore

Camped here in October 2017. It was very cold. We brought our dog. While setting up camp, a flock of turkeys came right up to us - about 12! The camp was easy to get to. The camp also had firewood and Ice available for self purchase. When you arrive, there is a visitors center we stopped at but not much to see there. We headed to the campground and there was a woman in a booth who you pay admission to and determine which campsites are open. The campsites themselves are large and give you lots of room to roam around to find twigs to use in your fire. Our site had a trail linked to it down to the lake. There's a picnic table at the site and fire ring. There's also a grill. The bathrooms are a short walk as well as a composting toilet. The campground was relatively calm and quiet. The hikes in the park were pretty decent and we saw buffalo roaming in the roads!

Open & Clean

We came when Doris Campground was full in the Wichita Wildlife Refuge and were pleasantly surprised. The weather was perfect--70s during the day and 50s at night, my ideal sleeping temps.

The campgrounds and restrooms are clean and well kept; however, there aren't a lot of sites with substantial tree cover. This was not a problem for us in October, but I bet it is stifling in summer and early-fall months.

The sites we stayed in were on the lake. The sunsets and sunrises are gorgeous over the gentle slopes of the land. There are rock formations the kids enjoy climbing all over.

It's maybe a 15-minute drive to the Wichita Wildlife Refuge. Even though there are sites in the refuge, Great Plains had a lot of visitors when were were there.

Doris Campground is Delightful!

This is my go-to primitive campground when camping at the Wichita Mountains National Wildlife Refuge. It's always very clean, quiet, and well-maintained. Wild deer and turkey frequently cross through the nearby campsites and if you wake up early enough, you can listen to the sounds of bugling elk. The refuge often has a water boil advisory in effect, so be sure to bring plenty of potable water or boil thoroughly if you get it from the site. Beautiful refuge, and very peaceful and clean campsite. Highly recommended.