The best BOAT IN camping near

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Five Points Camping Reviews
Hidden gem

Traveling with a dog is not always easy, but I throughly enjoyed my stay. Will be back again, happy it wasn’t full of people. Wifi strong, Verizon service great, premium electric (I have 30amp and there was a hookup), no water as it’s winter meaning no bathrooms (there is a porterhouse). Clean sites and friendly folks.

Roomy sites!

We LOVE this campground - particularly sites 81-86. The sites are large with plenty of room to spread out, throw the frisbee or play other games. The sites are also near hiking paths that lead to the camper beach.

There is a nice playground down the road from the sites and additional hiking trails on the other side of the campground. Very quiet, peaceful camping.

Stay in Loop A or B!

We love this campground. The sites in the B loop are pull through and can be converted to buddy sites (camping with a friend - face your awnings toward each other). I think you can get a travel trailer on A, B, E & G loops too but with the other loops you may be parking on the grass. The sites are sloped on loops C, D & F.

There's also a great creek off B loop that you can walk including a fun waterfall with a 'swimming hole'.

The lake has a horsepower limit and is great for kayaking or using a SUP.

There are several hiking trails near the B loop - one winds around to the lower campground. Nice elevation change. Other trails near B loop are much easier to navigate for anyone - even those with mobility challenges or pushing a stroller.

Easy Drive from the City

Located within an afternoon’s drive of downtown Dayton and Cincinnati, this park makes the perfect weekend getaway from the day to day grind. Located on a large reservoir, the state park has everything from boating, hiking and mountain biking to just sitting around the campground not doing much.

One important thing to think about with this state park is site selection. For a park surrounded by trees and forest the campsites offer a surprising dearth of shady maples for the sites. On first visit, one might suppose this was a young park, newly cleared for recreational purposes, but upon visiting some 20 years later, one would be disappointed at the lack of opportunity taken for shade production. Most of the sites nearer the lakeshore or cul-du-sacs, have adequate shade.

The bathhouse was kept very clean, even when it was pretty busy.  Overall, the place was pretty quiet despite the number of campers there.

Off Season and No Water

We love camping in the off season but with that comes closures. Some sections of the campgrounds might not be open, no camp hosts and limited bathrooms and showers houses. This is to be expected, but when I called the morning of our trip to make sure potable water was available and I was told yes it was only to drive 2 hours and realized they were wrong. No water 🙁. This would not have been a peas we have dry camped before but all the bathrooms were closed as well.

After called the park ranger he did let us get some water at the maintenance building so we were at least able to finish the weekend. Lesson learned always pull with at least some water.

Now back to the campground itself was nice and clean. Site are a little close together. The biggest down side is you are there to enjoy the lake but the lake had algae warnings everywhere not to go near the water.

They do have a dog park, pool and splash pad when in season and a marina. Also they have WiFi and good cell coverage.

Horse Campground - Great

I came here and stayed in my tent (family had their horse trailer with camper) for a night during the chilly nights of October. I wish all campsites were like these - very, very spread out!

Totally makes sense given that you have large horse trailers/campers and also horses at each site, but even then, they were very spread out and had lots of great space to actually enjoy nature.

In terms of trails, there was a starting access point at the horse campground for horseback riding trails that also led to the horse barn, but if you are wanting to hike, you have to drive, unfortunately. Another flaw is that the bathrooms in the horse campground aren't modern and they're pit toilets. Even with the cooler weather, they still wreaked and were not pleasant to use.

Nice location

Beautiful hiking, great views of the lake. Nice place to put a boat/kayak in the water. Downside, very few sites have water/sewer hookup. They do have locations to get potable water and a dump station on the way out of the park, we were just hoping to have a water hookup on site.

Indian Lake State Park Campground

Very nice campground with larger campsites. Campers varied from tents to large RV’s. Most sites are shaded with large trees and at the end of the cul de sac’s were canals that let you access the lake from the campground. Even had docks for boat campers. A very pleasant and relaxing atmosphere here. Park and restrooms were clean and the showerhouse in “B” section seemed to have been just remodeled. Some fast food and restaurants were close by with unique places like the “Tiltin Hilton” which offered a selection of sandwiches and beer. Nice large playground for the kids as well. Always seemed to have a breeze through the campsites.

Very nice small park and campground

My wife and I love this small state park. There are two main camping areas, wooded and shaded for smaller rv’s, trailers, tenters while the other section caters to larger RV’s and Motor homes with pull thru and longer pads. This section does have some trees but mostly sunny. There is one main bath house that is quite nice and kept clean. Several restrooms are scattered throughout with flush toilets. Camp hosts are friendly and helpful and do a great job of keeping the campground clean when folks leave. There is a small camp store, though its been closed this summer. There are places to get firewood and prices vary from $5-20 per bundle or stack. Marina is on the other side of the lake but only rents small boats and pontoons. The lake is limited to 9.9 hp motors. OK fishing from the beach area and docks. There are a few hiking trails and they do have cabins that have been updated recently. We are there several times a year camping with our teardrop.

Great Campground

With this being my first time camping, I don’t have much to compare it to, but I really enjoyed my stay! I had spot 66 (non-electric standard) and I just had my tent and my car and I would definitely pick that spot again! It was absolutely stunning over looking the water with the trees turning colors. I went the first weekend in October so they had a lot of families there because they had all sorts of Halloween activities going on, so it wasn’t very quiet, but I still enjoyed myself. Got in on a Thursday and it was decently quiet that day. They have some play areas for kids, a few hiking trails and a wetlands, but most people were fishing and kayaking. There is a store, but I didn’t go in. Tons of spots to camp, from very secluded to right in the middle of the action. Very family friendly place. I think some small rules were broken here and there by some of the families, but it was just little things, so no harm no foul. Overall a great campground!