The best WALK IN camping near
McLeansville , NORTH CAROLINA

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent McLeansville Camping Reviews
Quite and Clean...

This is the nicest and cleanest RV park in the entire area. I know, because I actually visited all the others to get a comparison. I have a 43' 5th wheel and was assigned to spot 17, a pull through site. Length wise I fit with room to spare. However I am 13'6" in hight and there is a cable/power line over this site and site 16 that hangs a bit too low and my AC unit got aquatinted with it. I informed the staff, Hana and she and her brother came to assess the situation. Site 16 was apparently already booked so I could not move there so we decided to just stay where I was and when ready to leave, the would help me by one of them going on my roof with a piece of wood to hold the lines up a few inches so I call get out. This park is family owned and run, and they are all so nice and accommodating.(10 children). The landscaping is done so well and meticulously maintained. Well done! To see a video of this place and also see a video of us getting out of spot 17, go to www.MyBucketListDay.com So if you have a Big Rig at 13'6" I would suggest site 16. You'll fit fine(Length and Hight) and be right on the river.(Video will be posted sometime after 9/15/20)

Nice, small campground on the Dan River

Nice level sites, some open, some wooded, but most are fairly close. Several full-time residents, but mostly for campers. We were in site 23, which was wooded, so we had no satellite coverage. It was 30A/FHU. OTA TV is pretty decent with an omni antenna. Campground WiFi reached 0.85 MB/s, but data rates seemed to vary greatly, and often dropped to zero. AT&T had 2 bars and 3.5 MB/s w/o a booster, 4 bars and 4.9 MB/s with it. There is a nice 1 mile loop trail around the property. Campground was about 2/3 full. They also put up Halloween decorations around the whole campground, complete with a grave yard by the bath house, a really nice touch.

Wonderful and Serene Campground

This is a beautiful, family owned campground. Grounds are impeccable and well maintained, customer service was above and beyond. There really isn’t a bad site in the place. Only downside- it’s off a main highway and we did hear a good amount of traffic noise throughout our stay.

New, Basic, but Nice

We only stayed for 1 night as we were passing through, but we plan to return one day.

Positives are it’s a newer campground, nice and shaded, full hookups (w,e,s), lots were wide, Easy to get in and out of, plenty to do within the park (hiking, fishing, kayak/canoe, etc), has a nice dog park, hosts were very welcoming and kind, VERY clean.

Negatives are unlevel lots (we had to lower ours by over 4” and still weren’t level, but couldn’t adjust anymore), sites aren’t exactly private - but there was a bit of space between sites.

Good for Tent Camping

Spent two nights at Site 67. Nice large site with no other sites behind it and nice distance to neighbors on either side. Camp ground host and park rangers very welcoming and helpful. Wood $5 a bundle from camp host. Self check-in board at camp host site. Completely full Saturday night in September, but lots of empty sites on Sunday night.

Well spaced sites

I stayed at site #003 in the Family Campground at Hanging Rock State Park. This was a nice site with a decent amount of privacy thanks to the slight hill that backs the site. Each site has a sand pad for the tent, a concrete fire ring, and a picnic table - and each section is defined by railroad ties. There really isn't an option to put a tent up anywhere outside of the pad on this site. Water is located right next to the site, and the bathroom is right up the hill behind the site. The bathroom has flush toilets and showers, but the showers aren't very inviting. The sites are pretty spaced out, and you don't feel like you are too close to your neighbor. Overall, my stay was nice, but I definitely prefer a more primitive campground.

Great local State Park

Great local State Park. Lots of trails, has swimming lake, waterfalls. The only water/elect sites are for camp host and their guest. We camped at Hanging Rock State Park in a Tent.

Hunt camp

This camp site is only open during hunting season

Perfect campground and location

Our site was HUGE, private and right near the bathroom with hot showers and large basin sinks for doing dishes. But the best part was that right behind the site was a trail and stream where I relaxed and had my coffee in the mornings while my dog cooled off in the water. There was no one at any of the sites near us, it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. I do not drink but the friends I went with do and we did not see anything posted on the website about alcohol not being allowed until we arrived at the campground, kind of misleading but I prefer it as the campgrounds are usually quieter if they are dry. There are trails right around the campsite but so many greats spots nearby not to be missed; Lower Cascades, Hanging Rock Trail (yes that looming rain cloud got us), Upper Cascades, Rock Garden, Tory’s Den Waterfall & Cave. All easy hikes, only the Hanging Rock Trail was a bit long for my 12 year old dog but he rocked it and the view at the top was amazing. All of these places get crowded so definitely go, but go early!

Unlevel & messy

We made a mistake. My wife and I are moving to North Carolina, and we were looking for a place to stay for a month in the Asheboro area. I checked around and Deep River was the only local campground with long-term sites available, so I made the reservation. The owner, Scott, was very helpful throughout the reservation process and we thought we were going to have a good experience.

When we showed up, Scott met us at the office and he took us to the "most level site" he had available. I was a little concerned from the start because the sewer pipe was sitting at a 45 degree angle and it was half buried in the ground. I had to help dig out the pipe and when I looked inside I noticed the connection was broken and any drainage would  have leached directly into the ground. Additionally, the sewer connection was more than 40 feet from the center of the site and I only carry 30 feet of line, so we had to back way up in order to hook-up. Unfortunately, that meant that our primary slide was within 3 feet of a giant pine tree so there was barely enough room to open it. Another problem with being so far back in the site was how unlevel the camper was. It took a while for me to get the trailer unhitched and by the time I had it nearly level, I had used all of my blocks and the jack was extended to the maximum height. Needless to say, I did not feel very comfortable with the arrangement and I was really starting to question whether or not to stay.

Then I started looking around at the site and there was trash everywhere with broken pieces of metal and half chewed dog bones strewn about. I looked at my wife and I could tell she was not happy. So I got on my phone, called another campground and made reservations. Scott was understanding, he tried to talk us into trying another site but by that time we had decided to move on. I will give Scott credit, he didn't charge us a cancellation fee, so that was good.

A quick note, the WiFi was limited to close to the office and we would have had to pay Spectrum for a monthly internet connection. Also, Verizon cell coverage was weak.