Dundarrach , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Dundarrach Camping Reviews
Rustic farm campground

The owners of the property, Lisa and Brian, were helpful and accommodating! It rained most of that week, and during the day I was there. They offered alternative sites for my tent, one of which had a protective overhang. I would have stayed in the back near the treeline, but because of all the rain I ended up staying at the front of the property (near the rv area which had higher ground).

The campground restroom was really nice, has air conditioning, heating, and a clean private shower. There is also a washer, a microwave and even wifi in there.

If you have a family with small children, they will love the horses, chickens, guinea hens, and the couple of friendly cats and dogs that they own.

These folks are awesome people and I will definitely camp there in the spring.

Beautiful, accommodating farm. Perfect place.

This was our very first night in our RV and Brian and Lisa could not have been more hospitable and kind. We were two hours later than expected and they waited up for us late into the night to show us the ropes. In the morning Brian took our two year old on a tour of their amazing farm — horses, cows, ducks, chickens, and all the tractors of our toddlers’ dreams … we felt like houseguests of old friends. The long term residents, many of whom are seasonal workers, were also so friendly. We were just there for one night but it felt like a real community in a beautiful part of the world and not too far from the highway. Highly recommend!!

Camped here many times

Always brings back memories.

TIGHT

Wow! Road to campground is horrible! Very narrow, trees hanging over it, dirt, but huge holes! Obviously needs to be graded. We booked a pull thru per map, but was not. Had to change to site 29. Loose dirt but fairly level. Very quiet and Lake Horton near us. Hosts very friendly. We were in a 38 foot coach.

Phenomenal experience

A quiet and clean state park

Little Pee Dee State Park is a quiet and clean campground on the banks of Lake Norton. Locals often come here for fishing and non-motorized boating.  We were fortunate to witness a mass crayfish event--the recent flooding had brought them out of the swamp and up the spillway, much to the delight of seafood lovers.

The campground had two different campground hosts, and they kept the restrooms and campsites immaculately clean.

Campsites have a fire ring/grate and a picnic table, but no trash cans, and you'll need to bring your trash to a large bin located at the edge of the campsites.

There are some nice sites right at the edge of Lake Norton, but the abundant water plants don't allow you to fish from the side of the lake, and it's not really a swimming lake. These sites accommodate RVs and have water & electric.  If you're on a budget, there are tent-only sites off the water.

The campground recently built a sleeping cabin, which is a cute structure with air conditioning/heat, bunk beds, and a free-standing bed (the cabin sleeps four, total). Guests can use a fire ring and Adirondack chairs, hammock, and grill.

The park also has a nice shelter for use.

There is no WiFi here, and cellular internet is spotty. There isn't a camp store, but the Ranger Station does have ice, firewood, and a small number of souvenirs for sale.

Great place to Hike

Great place to hike, fish, and camp with the family.

Quiet Woods

This campground is definitely off the beaten path, about 15 miles from I-95. There aren’t any stores around, so get your food and supplies before you arrive. It was only about half full when we camped. Restrooms are clean and campsites have a good amount of space. Each one also has a picnic table and campfire ring that you can cook on. The interior roads and sites are sand so you will get it in your camper. This Park is a really nice place to recharge and enjoy nature. You’ll fall asleep to a chorus of frogs every night!

Backcountry Camping in a State Park

Raven Rock State Park is known for its namesake cliffs on the edge of the Cape Fear River. It has over a dozen miles of trails, which include horseback riding, hiking, and cycling trails. Since this park is along the fall line, most of the trails are easy with some rise and fall in elevation. Make sure you hike to the“Raven Rock” while you are there. It is impressive, and there are other trails that offer peaceful walks through the forest and other views of the river. The only camping allowed, for now, is primitive tent camping. The campsites can be reached either by hiking or by canoeing/kayaking in. There is a privy, but there are no showers. I counted seven spaces for camping. There is a site(or was) for group camping. The ranger told me that it is no longer in use. When I was talking to her, she said that they are working on an area for RV camping and that it would be ready next year. If I understood correctly, it will be in the area of the Mountain Laurel Loop Trail. When you camp there, make sure to take a good head lamp or flashlight. I had to walk quite far to get to the privy, and during the night, it is dark! The site that I chose was a longer walk to the privy than the other campsites, but it was a little more remote and private. I also had to by-pass a mud hole on the way to the privy, so again, take a good light source. The best thing about Raven Rock State Park is, of course, the 150’ cliffs along the river. The best thing about camping at Raven Rock State Park is how quiet it is. The hike is 1.7 miles, and other than the sounds of Cape Fear River down below, the only thing you hear at night might be an occasional airplane flying overhead. Since it was during December, I didn’t see any other campers. During the day, however, the park had several day hikers. If you want to camp in the backcountry but don’t want to hike very far to get there, this is a great place. If you have an RV or just want to camp where you can drive to, you will have to wait for a year, according to the park ranger.

Great little place

Nothing to do here but camp and enjoy the day. They will have a beautiful when it fills up. Good hiking trails