Columbus, NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Columbus Camping Reviews
Victor Road Dispersed Camping

There are three campsites located in Victor Road. Victor Road is approx. 2 miles north of highway 80 (highway 80 is is approx 16 miles north of Mount Mitchell) on the Blue Ridge Parkway. The road is initially pavement but quickly turns to packed gravel. The road is a little rough in spots, but I had zero issues in my Honda Accord. Sites are free and do not appear to be managed by any official municipal, state or federal authority…but they are in great shape.

Three sites are available from what I could see. The marker on this map is at the site of what I am calling #3. Sites 1 & 2 are located about 1/2 mile down Victor Road on the left and are adjacent to one another, but appear to be large and have foliage separating them. One of the sites had three tents pitched along side a beach tent and still had plenty of open space in the middle around a stone fire pit. I stayed at site number three. This has enough room for two cars and a four person tent at most. I have a three person tent and it covered most of the flat pad area. The site has a fire pit and is located just before a large(ish) stream that crosses the road. Beyond this campsite, the road turns private. The site is on the left hand side as you approach the stream. There is room on the right hands side of the road for perhaps another tent if one wanted to do so.

This is fairly remote, despite being close enough to the BRP to hear cars occasionally. There are no amenities aside from the fire pit, but it's handy to have a creek for water for filtering or boiling. You should note that there are hunting blinds at the top of the hill between sites 1/2 and 3. These are facing a field that points away from the campsites. I imagine during turkey season (I saw a lot of turkey), you may hear gunshots.

There aren't any trails down this road, but you are within a few minutes of the BRP where they are plentiful and Mt. Mitchell and associated trail systems are less than 20 minutes. The BRP would have to be open for you to access these sites, so plan accordingly (my suggestion is the real time map on nps.org).

Beautiful & Clean Camping

So many beautiful sites! This is our family’s favorite getaway and we have been here a dozen times! The campground is in a peaceful setting close to Asheville shopping, restaurants, Blue Ridge Parkway and Arboretum.

Fantastic stop!

Loved this place - great sites, clean bathrooms, nice showers, it was all good! Hope to come back!

Scenic and Peaceful

As other reviews have said, this campground is in a lovely location, right on a small creek/river. The grounds are well maintained and grass covered for the most part. Some tent sites are sorta marked (picnic tables), but you can camp anywhere you want.  When I stayed there, it was not very crowded, quite and there was a car in the campground (not sure how that fits with "motorcycle campground".  There are also lot's of cabins if you prefer.

Facilities are ok, could be cleaner and better maintained, but the host is trying. I think times are tough for this business. Food is available on Friday and Saturday's, limited options, but available. On the subject of food, that is probably the biggest drawback about this campground. Plan on a 15 mile +/- ride to eat. The host has coolers for free use, sells ice, I didn't notice grills, but he may have them.

All-in-all, a nice place to which I'll return.

Cute park hidden away

Croft State Park was right on our route so it was a convenient spot. However, it turned out to be really nice too!! It is on a lake and there are trails in the campground for exploring. There are plenty of sites with a great view of the lake. Also, they supposedly have a big event every year for Halloween. We weren’t there for that, but it seems fun! The staff was super nice as well. This was a great way to spend a few days enjoying the lake view and getting caught up on work!

Absolutely love this place

This is my favorite place for cabin camping! They are cozy, comfy cabins. The staff are the sweetest! Very helpful and gave us directions to all the waterfalls and hiking we could handle! Everything to cook and clean in the cabins is all provided! I wish I could give them 10 stars!

1st Camping Experience Couldn’t Have Been Better!

This is a private camping ground and it has a very small site fee. The place is absolutely stunning next to a running river. At night they set up a camp fire where all visitors can meet and greet, have a beer, or eat some burgers. The place offers a lot. They got a lounge, showers, clean bathrooms, and they have a small kitchen where you can buy some food each night. The owners are pleasant folks. Really nice and polite. I mean you can’t go wrong. Give this place a shot. Well worth it.

Great little resort

Nice low key resort. Only back in spots but still nice. The front desk does close at 4 from what I have found though

Hidden Gem

Definitely one of our favorite state park! Super clean, wooded, and right on the lake.