Ballantyne East , NORTH CAROLINA

• Orange Sun

Get 3 Months Free
Most Recent Ballantyne East Camping Reviews
Great spot, great fishing

If you want to get away, this is where you go. Secluded but still able to get into town for supplies. Beautiful area, lots of space on the lower ground, gorgeous views from the higher ground, and some damn good fishing. I didn’t take enough pictures when I was there. The upper landing is relatively small, my Dodge Ram fit with nothing being exposed on the road, but there was still plenty of camp able space begins my truck. Short but steep walk down to the river. I would be careful when the river is swollen, but otherwise it is gorgeous. My friends both caught a couple of channel cats. One enormous female catfish we released because she had eggs on board. Great. Definitely recommend it for a day or weekend trip. You have to haul all your supplies and trash in and out to include water.

Remote Grandure

I loved the place. Really remote and FREE. Lots of spots on Botha sides of the road. Not for bigger rigs. I’ve got a 13 foot pull behind. Backed in mostly but a few could be pulled in an out. Road posted 25 mph but recommend 10 mph. Was also narrow in spots. Very bumpy. Last 1/2 mile don’t go. Steep rocky Muddy. Photos show. Fire rings were rocks. No water all primitive. Will go back when warmer. Lots of trails and wildlife. Stayed in 2 different spots.

Great place for our 1st Camper Trip

This was the shakeout trip with our new to us, 2015 R-Pod 176T. This turned out to be a great trip.

The Campground and Host Kitty were wonderful. The Campground is wooded and very scenic. We stayed in site 25 which had a view of the pond. Also it was a short walk to the bathhouse which was clean and warm for a cold fall/winter trip.

The Campground is on a park which has lots of attractions for the family including a gem mine, carousel, small zoo, fishing, padle boats and other things to do. These were closed due to COVID 19 but will be available once the pademic is over.

There was WiFi across from our site which was really good. We were able to stream Netflix and AT&T TV with no problem. The Camp host Kitty, was kind and helpful throughout our stay she had suggestions for us and assured us that if we had any issues she would be there.

I would highly recommend Dan Nicholas Park.

Especially post COVID 19!!!!!!

Loud drunk neighbors!

If you happen to have loud drunk neighbors, who party until 3:30 am, the hosts will not tell them to be quiet. Someone did call the sheriff, but no one came until 10 am the next morning. They woke the drunks up to tell them to be quiet, but they were allowed to stay in the park. I give it 2 stars because this is a beautiful park.

Hidden Gem

Nice spot within the Nature preserve. Sites are close but not on top of each other. Paved but not necessarily level. The cleanest and most well designed bathrooms I’ve ever seen in a campground. Lots of great hiking trails throughout the preserve. Level boxed in pads for tenters in a separate area from RVs as well as sites that can be packed out to. On a visit during COVID it was open but limited. Set on the beautiful Lake Wylie, surrounded by marinas and large beautiful lakeside homes. Well designed for fishing, boating, gatherings and picnics. It feels so remote but is literally minutes from the full metropolis of Charlotte, NC. A must see for at least a day hike if you are in the area or camping if you have the chance.

Happy camper

It was our first time camping as a family and now we wish we could camp every weekend!

Nice spot with lots of space

Great spot there’s some open areas to camp before you get to the water. You need a truck or something big to get down to the water unless the re-did the road. There’s a few campsites surrounded by trees but also a large open area that can hold multiple vehicles

Great hiking and awesome views.

Lots of trails to choose from. Beautiful views. Lots of history. Visit here often.

Love this place.

Very close to my home. I hike in to the remote campsite on the lake. Lots of fishermen and trash since the scum can’t seem to pick up after themselves. The cabins here are also great. Clean and nice location. I would suggest the overlook cabin. I generally tent camp and the Point, not many know of this location as it’s a decent hike in. Great place.

Not for the weak of heart

Took 3 boys camping here. The 1.5 mile hike to the campsite was very much an uphill climb. The primitive outhouse scared them. It was extremely seclusive. Went on up another .5 miles the following morning and looked out over the clouds. Quite a sight! It was an experience they won't forget!