the dyrt
Alexander Mills, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Alexander Mills Camping Reviews
Falls creek trail hike

We did a short day hike to check out the camp sites and look at the waterfalls. We went on the weekend and was pretty late start so we did have to wait a good while to be let in the park - minor annoyance but it was OK. The trails and the park are so very well kept up! Was a beautiful day and hike. We are definitely coming back and looking into getting the year pass since it's so close to home.

French Broad River Camping

Nice for a night or two to get away but not be too far a town or necessities. Good for camping with kids too.

Pisgah is Big and Beautiful

So many trails at different levels of difficulty. Incredible sights and access points to all kinds of campsites. You can care camp or hike for a couple of days.

Linville Falls

Beautiful scenery, great hiking all around you!

Great Camping Experience

Big, clean campground with great amenities such as a scenic walking path around the lake, pool, playground, clean and efficient bathhouses, hot breakfast options, nice camp store, etc. The cabin was perfect for a girls' weekend away. I was completely satisfied with my stay. I gave the campground 4 stars because a 5 would have to really put the wow factor into play. In summary, this campground provided a great camping experience.

Nice little campground with good flat sites. Can hike to the river for fishing. Nice bath house.

Relaxing and beautiful

The campground is nice and some sites have more room than others. Lots of clean bathrooms throughout the campground and park. Nice play area for kids. Good hiking. The rangers dropped off flyers on Friday night to let us know the events for the weekend at the military park (which were free events). Very pet friendly.

Awesome trails for u & ur horses

Love this place

Mills River camp ground

It's an awesome place to take n different views

Great camping, close to Asheville with awesome mountain biking trails

We stayed here on a road trip for a trail race in Brevard in early December. Campground was fairly empty. Site was spacious, with a fire ring and picnic table. Bathroom facilities were great, with free hot showers. Close proximity to Asheville, with its many restaurants and breweries, and very close to the Blue Ridge Parkway as well. We used this as a jumping off point to do some hiking along the blue ridge, with some local beers afterward.

The campground is in the Bent Creek experimental forest, which has some really great trails for mountain biking, hiking, and trail running. We have mountain biked here before and loved it. We didn't check out much of the lake, as it was cold when we were there. Really liked this campground!

Ranger Review: Escape Campervans at Davidson River Campground

Campground Review

Davidson River is a really nice campground located in the Pisgah National Forest in Brevard. There are several sites that are right along the river. There is a short walking trail within the camgpground, and the Art Loeb trail starts right at the beginning of the campground as well. There are miles and miles of hiking/running and mountain biking trails in the surrounding area, as well as numerous waterfalls. The campground is less than a mile from The Hub bike shop/Pisgah Tavern, a great bike shop offering rentals also, and several breweries are nearby - check out Ecusta and Oskar Blues!

Our site was very spacious. We stayed in Late November/ early December, so there weren't leaves on the trees but the site was still pretty private. There are only 3 loops of the campground open in the off season. The bathroom facility for the loop was open and there were showers (free and hot) and the camp host was very friendly and helpful and had firewood for sale. Campground was very quiet. Very convenient starting point for trail adventures in the area! Campground was quiet in the off season, but definitely not empty.

Product Review

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - I was lucky enough to be able to take an Escape Campervan out on a camping road trip for a trail race that started at this campground.

Escape Campervans have become my favorite way to travel! The vans are small enough to maneuver in cities and to trailheads, and can be parked in a normal parking spot. Click here to see the different models they offer. There is something for everyone! The vans include….

• A kitchen area in the back, with a 2 burner propane stove, sink (5 gallon fresh water tank), and a drawer fridge. Dishes, pots, pans included. Just pull up, hop out, and get cooking! The dometic drawer fridge is fantastic, keeps things super cold and can fit a TON! (way more than it looks).
  • Seats inside fold down to a bed. Add a rooftop tent to the top and bring your friends! (or just sleep up top, and don't worry about converting the seats to a bed. Both beds are really comfortable, and the ladder up to the rooftop sleeper is super easy to use. Bedding included (sheets, pillows, and duvet with cover).
  • Plenty of extras. You can add on (for additional cost) and e-z up tent/awning, small picnic table, bike rack, rooftop tent, and more.

We have traveled as a couple and a group of four adults, and had an awesome time. The vans fit in anywhere. From boondocking in the wilderness to established campgrounds or RV parks, pull up, park, and have fun!

I really can't recommend Escape Campervans enough. From adventurous singles/couples to small families, they are the BEST way to explore.

For more pictures and a more in-depth tour of the Mavericks version of the van, check out one of my blog posts here: http://adventuresneaker.com/2017/01/04/escape-campervan-review/

Clean and well maintained campground.

Sites are close together, however there are lots of activities for the kids.

Full hook ups available, some with cable. The stream and lake are beautiful. Next time I will reserve a spot near the lake.

Nice Campground

We stayed here over the summer and really enjoyed it. It is prime location to downtown chimney rock and lake lure beach/water park. The staff was very nice and accommodating. We had a site that was covered and that was nice to have. We were right on the river so the sound was serene and sight was beautiful. Definitely plan on returning again for another trip.

Wonderful Campground

This is a very beautiful campground. Sites are very well kept and clean. Bathrooms were very clean and nice. The staff was amazing and helpful. Prime location to so many amazing places. The pool was nice and clean! Will def. camp here again.

The Little Gem Where the Blacktop Ends

Just a stone’s throw from the bustle of Asheville, yet secluded enough to forget it all, this little gem is conveniently located at the entrance to Pisgah National Forest.

I went camping here on November 2nd, just after half of the campground closes for the off season. Usually starting at $22 per night, after November 1st the prices get cut in half, so I stayed for $11 (hard to beat)! To pay you fill out a permit envelope, tear off the receipt, include your payment and insert it into a mailbox of sorts. Make sure to bring a writing utensil (I forgot one, but luckily my neighbors let me borrow theirs). You then simply place the receipt portion in the provided zip-lock bag on the number post in front of your site. Check-out time is noon.

Each site comes with a gravel platform for your tent, picnic table, bear box, and a fire pit with a grill top. I opted to set up my backpacking tent in the bed of my pickup, but the site was very clean and well maintained. The host made rounds in the evening and the following morning, and was very approachable and informative, and even gave out weather predictions for the coming days to those who asked. The bathroom facilities may be limited in the off-season due to being unheated, but they were open during my stay, and shower facilities are available during the regular season.

I had a blast enjoying the peace and serenity of the woods, smelling the autumn spice of decaying leaves and campfires, and listening to the babbling river that runs through the center of campground. The other occupants were quite mellow, with no unwanted noise or partying (not that it would be a deal breaker, everyone camps a little differently). In the morning I took a stroll through the recreation area and got to see the group sites; everything was pristine and gorgeous in the gleaming yellow sunlight. My pooch also enjoyed the area, and I was grateful for the free bags to pick up after her.

I would recommend this little spot to anyone looking for a quick getaway from the traffic and humdrum of the nearby townships, as well as visitors to the park. Hiking trails, fishing and hunting opportunities, and scenic waterfalls are all nearby, making the location prime. A big chain grocer is also just a 10 minute drive up the road, making it easy to grab last minute items you may have forgotten. I look forward to returning!

Fun Little Trail

This trail was lots of fun! My friend and I decided to go here on a whim and it didn’t disappoint. There are lots of features to this camp and the surrounding trails such as waterfalls, rock outcroppings, cable crossings, and access to Caesar’s Head trails. My favorite thing about the boy/Girl Scout campsites was that it was along a river and was very large. It would be a great campsite for those who have a big group or just like the space. The only thing I didn’t like about the campsites was that it was visible from the trail so offered little privacy from hikers or fellow campers. My word of advice is to not take dogs that can’t swim across the river; we saw a few couples who struggled to carry their pooches across the cable.

very pretty cg on a pristine river (great trout fishing), convenient to gas

very nice cg, convenient to gas/grocery. a pristine river runs thru it,

with excellent trout fishing. very helpful host, campsites afford privacy (most).

has all amenities in a very pretty setting but OVERCROWDED !

don't go on weekends in nice weather…it's too crowded and

campsites are crowded together, privacy lacking.

Backwoods camping and nice trails

Paris mountain is a personal favorite of mine and take any chance to go. This is a great dog friendly park with clean trails, plenty of parking, and friendly staff. Now is the time to go as it is less crowded and and the leaves are changing color.

Very Secluded

I absolutely love this campground! It’s a bit of a longer hike to get to the primitive campsites but is worth its since it’s along a river for the most part and the sites are not that close to each other either. I haven’t seen many people camping during the winter months, although during the summer and fall it gets booked quickly. But make sure to call ahead of time because every time that we have called short notice they have been closed or booked. Nearby the visitor center are the bathrooms and fish hatchery (all of which are kept very clean).

Hidden Gem

This place is wonderful! My friend and I hiked the Raven Cliff Falls loop trail a while back and have added it to our list of top 10 favorite trails. I was really bummed about the removal of the cable crossing, but still loved the trail due to climbing ladders and walking along The Cathedral! I strongly suggest wearing waterproof hiking boots/trail runners as there is lots of water on the trail and because the Dismal Trail is a steep climb to the lookout.

Catawba Camping

The sites in this family campground are right on top of each other, so you will not have privacy! The bathhouse was not good, and pretty far away, and there was only one for the entire property. They have some cabins and a tiny house that you can rent, those looked cool. The owner is super nice, and the sites are right on the creek, so you hear the running water all night so that is really nice, and you are close to Black Mountain, Montreat, and not too far from Asheville.

Wonderful Stop off the Parkway

This review (just as future reviews to this page should be) is about the Crab Tree Falls Campground that is in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and is managed by the National Park Service. There is another Crabtree Falls Campground quite a ways away in Virginia. Google Maps recognizes this campground as Crab Tree Meadows Campground (which is the name of the area along the Parkway that the campground is located in) but the Parkway's Crab Tree Meadows and Crab Tree Falls campgrounds are one and the same. It's all a little confusing.

This is a wonderful stop along the Blue Ridge Parkway. There are few campgrounds that are a park of the Blue Ridge Parkway National Park area. This campground passed by more often than some of the bigger Parkway campgrounds which means that it doesn't fill up as quickly. That doesn't mean that it won't full up. I visited in late October and the campground was pretty darn full by early evening.

This is one of the few national parks where you can collect firewood. However, campers are prohibited from bringing their own wood in, especially from out of state, unless it was been properly treated.

There are picnic tables, fire pits, and running water in the bathrooms. It's a little but funny that many of the campsites share parking with neighboring sites. It was occasionally challenging to tell which parking went with which site. Many of the sites are a little removed from their parking spot which help create separation between the sites.

Loop A is for RVs while Loop B is for tents (Loop C was closed when I visited)

The campground hosts were very friendly. If you have time take the short but very steep hike down to the actual falls.

Wonderful Stop off the Parkway

This review (just as future reviews to this page should be) is about the Crab Tree Falls Campground that is in North Carolina along the Blue Ridge Parkway and is managed by the National Park Service. There is another Crabtree Falls Campground quite a ways away in Virginia. Google maps recognizes this campground as Crab Tree Meadows Campground (which is the name of the area along the Parkway that the campground is located in). It's all a little confusing.

Loop A is for RVs while Loop B is for tents (Loop C was closed when I visited)

Great Little Private Campground!

We Loved This Place! Right on the French Broad River in North Carolina another little hidden treasure. The staff was awesome and the view every morning amazing.

Wilderness retreat at Montreat

This is a campground that is part of the retreat and conference facilities adjacent to Montreat College. It is located in a peaceful, idyllic hollow alongside Flat Creek, just north and east of Black Mountain, NC. This is truly a special place for a spiritual time-out, to “go to the hills, from whence cometh my strength” and to “be still and know that I am God.” The location is breathtakingly beautiful, you can hike the surrounding mountain and river trails for all the solitude you want, fly fish in local streams, participate in the colleges nature programs or wilderness adventure classes, attend lectures workshops or conferences at the college or conference center, or head into the nearby village of Black Mountain for local mountain music, heritage crafts and regional cuisine. This is really a peaceful magical place for family friendly camping or a solo pilgrimage of sorts.

Rural campground on a creek

This campground is located in Rosman NC, west of Brevard. We camped here as a base camp for day hikes in the area. It is very wooded, in a valley with a creek running alongside the tent camping sites. The scenery is gorgeous and horses and chickens were sweet. The tent sites are small, smaller than average park campsites. We woke to the smell of our neighbor smoking and coughing throughout the night.

The facilities are good, nice hot water in sinks and showers. Clean bathrooms etc. We also had a spigot and plug near our campsite if we needed them. The people were extremely friendly and kind.

We like for our kids to be able to run, play and explore while camping and this was not the site for that. Across the creek is a busy road which was not busy during the night, but had constant travel during the day.

Fairly clean with great water

I randomly stumbled across this camp recently. It is a Christian retreat that holds religious summer camps as well as boy/girl scouts retreats. As for hiking trails there’s a few within the camp some including caves, waterfalls, and river cable crossings. My favorite part about this location is that you can access Ceaser’s head state park from the Asbury Hills camp.

Quiet and pleasant place to camp

We love this State park and campground. We go there for day picnics, hiking, group activities, or just a family cook out. The campground is very peaceful and quiet.

Great Facilities!

This campground has some of the cleanest and best maintained facilities that I have encountered. There were several trails that we went hiking on in the area and lots of places to go mountain biking nearby. Check-in time is late in the afternoon though, we couldn't go directly to our site once we arrived.