Alexander Mills, NORTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Alexander Mills Camping Reviews
Great Family Campbround!

Our family had a great time! Lots of stuff for the kids to do! Bath house clean and laundry facility great! We will definitely be back!

Mostly Permanent Campers

I traveled here alone and did not feel very comfortable. The campground is very simple. It is almost full of people in campers.

Rustic no cell service

bit of a drive through the forest to get here, but great spots if you're looking to get away from civilization. Ended up locking my keys in the car and had to walk 10 miles back towards town to call AAA, but other than that loved this spot! once you arrive to the campground coming from Asheville, there will be parking on the left a road on the right, and just past this road is a big campground that can fit bigger rvs, or if you want the feel of a community campground this is for you. If you want your own spot along the river take the road on your right hand side and the individual sites are right there along the road. Very nice spots, not super close to each other nice and secluded.

Our favorite!!!

We love this campground!! Lots of trees and privacy at our site. The sound of the river is very relaxing and our son loved it. Super quite at night!!

Fabulous

This park is new and clean. There’s miles of winding golf cart trails in the woods. Beautiful pool. Great friendly owners. We will be regulars.

Best sunset view from an Asheville campground

The campground is situated on a mountainside overlooking the French Broad river. Most of the sites are for RVs but they do have an assortment of tent sites. The premium RV sites have the awesome views. The tent site we stayed at had a nice carpet of grass and a good deal of space to spread out. Overall the campground was clean, quiet and a great place to chill out after a long day of hiking, rafting or whatever.

Serenity

Very clean and quiet!!!

LOVED this campground

Fun family friendly campground. They have a pool, playground, store, air conditioned bathroom/bath houses. There is a river that runs through the camp that is fun to play or fish in. There is also a pond for fishing. We were in row D near the end and the bathrooms were a good ways away. Definitely suggest having a bike or something to make the trek each time a little quicker. Our view was amazing. I would definitely recommend this place. We will be back.

A layed back quiet campground. Nice for relaxation.

Very large campground. Has  alot of hiking trails . Some has waterfalls , ponds . Easy to get to grocery store, has shopping, restaurants,  places for children to go… Nestled back in the woods campground…

Great weekend getaway by the river

This campground is great for a full hookup experience. We enjoyed the pond for fishing and the playground. The campground has lots of events at their community building. They were having a campground wide yard sale while we were there which was great. Sites are level and easily accessible.

Perfect Escape into Nature

This campground is perfect for those wanting to escape into nature for a few days. There are only two sites with electric hookup but it is really not needed in this cool cove below mount Mitchell. This is a family favorite for us. Some sites are wooded and some are along the river. South Toe River has some of the clearest water nation wide.

I wanted to love it

The campground is surprisingly pretty (especially the western end next to the lake and river), and well maintained, but it was just way too loud. Between the next door mobile home park with dogs barking ALL night, to the train, to the busy road with emergency vehicles and jake brakes, I slept awful even with ear plugs in our tent. Also, our section had some college aged kids who were really loud till 2:00 AM one night with no quite hours enforcement, I wanted to love it due to the natural scenery but the sleeping issues really put a damper on an otherwise great campground.

Very convenient to lots of sites.

Very close to Chimney Rock and Lake Lure.

Great price for nice campsite

Local to me but 20 a knight u can’t beat it .

Off the beaten path

This campground is down a pretty long gravel road, so it's best to have what you need when you arrive. No quick trips to Wally World for resupply here. Some of the sites can be a little muddy after wet weather. Many are closed off because they are prone to flooding. It is convenient to a few trails and waterfalls and there is a spot nearby where a lot of people like to float on tubes kind of like a lazy river type thing. It's a unique place. My family and tried swimming at the base of Thorp's Creek Falls here, but the cray fish chased us out.

Can no longer recommend.

Riverbreeze is conveniently located in Marion, NC. Their primary focus is fulltimers. We made a reservation for one month and were told we had a "pull through" site. We were given what I would call an overnight site. We stepped out of our front door into the road and had no yard area. We moved to another campground after the 3rd night. We will not be going back to Riverbreeze. Our first time here was several years ago. We enjoyed our one week stay on our first visit. I've heard they had to make 3 high water evacuations last year.

Nice spot to camp

This place is close to some good hiking and not too far from towns. They have a playground which is cool and the staff is very friendly. Unfortunately, they do not allow hammocks any more since people were cutting off tree branches to make hanging hammocks easier.

So-so campground

The area is beautiful and the falls are a worthy destination, but the campground leaves a little to be desired. The spaces are close together and many of them are not shaded very well. There are better campgrounds nearby.

Cool but spooky

The best part of this campground is Crabtree Falls. It's absolutely beautiful and there is plenty of room to picnic on a rock and swing in a hammock near by. The sites are large and many are very private. On that note, I have never heard as much animal activity outside my tent as I did camping here. It sounded like something, perhaps a fox or coyote, was hunting mice in the leaves right next to my tent.

Nice but crowded

There are multiple campgrounds here. I stayed in the drive up campground for people without horses. There is also equestrian camping and campsites one can hike to. My experience was the campsites were a little close to each other and, since it's a small loop, they fill up fast. I prefer more space and privacy when camping. My tent pad was a little uneven as well. There is a lot of good hiking in the park and horse back riding for those with horses. I'd like to try the back country camping at some point.

The doorstep to Mt Mitchell

This is a well maintained campground. Showers and bathrooms onsite. Water is available throughout the camp ground. While camping here there’s a creek that runs along the campground and many trails to explore. From here you can climb 4000ft to the summit of Mt Mitchell. It’s a great, challenging hike with many rewards along the way.

Quiet and Private Camping

This campground was well laid out. None of the sites were on top of each other, and every site was very lush with greenery.

We had a lot of rain while there, however we made the best of it and the kids loved it!

Bathhouse was clean and had showers.

Several options for kids to enjoy the property with a game room and fishing lake.

Moderate Trail to Spectacular Views

This campground and trail is located off of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

We decided to do the loop, rather than hiking back up the rocky path after the kids were tired from playing in the water. The trial was easier on the second half of the loop, as it was dirt rather than rock.

Overall, the view of the waterfall is mesmerizing! And a nice breaking spot for the loop distance.

Family Favorite Campground

How exactly do you beat these views?

Campsite #6 is our favorite, and never disappoints. Our first night on this trip, the sky was clear and we could see the milky way! We left home and the temperate was well into the high 90’s, however the temperate on top of the mountain never came above 62! The sunset from the campground parking lot and our campsite, is breathtaking as you can see in the photos I’ve included.

This is a primitive campground. So if you’re family needs some ‘downtime’ to disconnect and unwind, find your way to Mt. Mitchell Campground. Explore cooking over a campfire and hiking the trails in the refreshing 60 degree weather. No electricity, no wi-fi, just pure quality time.

Important note: Do pay attention to the weather, listed on the state park website. Wind gusts easily get into the double digits, and if you aren’t prepared for that, it can be alarming, especially while tent camping.

Very clean good river access

Limited sites, fills up on the weekends

Water everywhere

A lot of the sites have water beside them. Bathrooms were clean. There is a store on property that has things you may have forgotten and a grill