Witherbee , NEW YORK

Most Recent Witherbee Camping Reviews
Not the best facilities but the location is great

I am torn about this campground. I love the location. Well that is about the only positive. That is why I give it 3 stars. It actually would be less stars if not for thd location. The campground is located on the lake in the village of Lake George. It is nice that it is not directly in the center of the town but still within the village. It's really the only reason we stay here.

I have noticed over the years the increase of security. It seems out of necessity not as a precaution. I stayed summer of 2019 and it was the worst of my stays yet. The bathroom constantly flooded from broken toilets. Bathrooms stunk of weed all weekend. If that wasn't bad enough, a toliet seat ripped off the toilet and thrown in the middle of the bathroom. People are disgusting idiots. We are a group of families who stay every year. It was about 10:30 at night and I got yelled at for talking by an over zealous park ranger. Of course I treated her with respect and did what I was told. We quieted down but the pot smoke in the bathroom continued all weekend. Not sure why they went indoors to smoke. Feel free to smoke outdoor on your site. I wouldn't care but inside the bathrooms where children use is just out of line. I did complain at the gate but nothing was done.

In closing if you don't mind not being in the village of Lake George, check out Rogers Rock further north on Lake Shore drive in Huage NY. Much nicer in many ways and is on the Lake as well.

One of the best NY State campgrounds

The campground is located on the shores of Northern Lake George (Huage NY). It's worth noting that the campground is located about 30 miles North of the village of Lake George. You are a few miles from Ticonderoga NY (which has a super convenient Walmart). Before the pandemic, the campground let a local man come in and sell wood and ice. Not pricey but super convenient. When I camped Summer 2020, they did not allow the wood guy in. It was a bummer but wood is easily purchased along Lake Shore Drive. New in 2020- Verizon customers have strong cell service. I am T mobile and I did not.

The bathrooms are super clean and well maintained. Always stocked with Toliet Paper. Reservations are done online. Easy and convenient. Prime sites reserve quickly even on none Holiday weekends. It still feels less crowded then most campgrounds. There is a hiking trail which located in the campground. The view at the top is breathtaking. So worth the Hike and not supper hard. See pictures. The Lake itself is undoubtedly the clearest lake I ever seen. Simply beautiful! (Wish my pictures would upload). We return every year.

One of my favorite places on earth 🏕🏞

Family-friendly

There are a lot of amenities that come with staying here. There is a fire pits at every campsite along with a large community fire pit to socialize with and meet other campers. Its a great way to let the kids find someone to play with while being supervised. You can leave your car/RV at your site and take the trolley into town/to the lake to avoid parking in town. There is also a bike path you can take to town. The pool is heated by solar panels so it is refreshing without being cold. It is safe to let kids ride their bikes around the campground, go to the arcade, pool, or playground because nothing is too far away. It is a cozy campground.

Wonderful site, great overall location

I've stayed here a couple of times and both times had a blast. Canoeing or kayaking on the lake is great and there are paddle only sites available.  Some of the best sites ore up on a bluff with views over the lake a towards sunrise.

This is just a great place for a getaway.

Great campsite on the way to Mt. Marcy

If you’re coming from Marcy Dam by way of Lake Colden, this campsite is a great spot to stop for the night on the way to Mt. Marcy. There’s a good water flow for water that is safe to drink (suggest bringing iodine just in case). There’s a lean-to and a latrine in the area as well.

An awesome site

This is one of several sites found on Forestry Rd 55. The site we found is visible from the road but is best accessible with a 4x4 as it has a rocky entrance and can be muddy during heavy rains or spring thaw. We loved being on Clark Brook. The sites and sounds were soothing.

Private scenic campground

We had a lean-to site that was just far enough from the bathroom that it felt far. I found the site to be well maintained and for the rangers to be kind and help. Great place to visit on the island.

State Park

Lake front leento's have amazing view of mountains and sunrises. Plenty of tent, rv sites as well as secluded leanto's. Plenty of recreational opportunities

Quiet, spread out, and fun

I would recommend camping at Moosalamoo Campground because the campsites are spread out and it's nice and quiet with great privacy. The campground is conveniently located less than 20 minutes from Middlebury and still is down a long access road, therefore has no road noise. Moosalamoo campground has awesome bike trails with with smooth trail beds and nice rolling bumps. The kind campground hosts can tell you all about the hiking and biking trails within Mossalamoo National Forest. When you are in the Moosalamoo area, beautiful trees and wildness surrounds you! You should definitely come to the Mossalamoo campground.

~AJB, 10 y.o.

separated sites, quiet, clean

My family has been camping at Rollins Pond for years.  With the coronavirus concerns, they have made changes to their cleaning schedules and social distancing rules.  While there this year, my site was right across from one of the bathrooms.  They were there at least twice a day to clean them and they did a great job with keeping the facilities clean, minus the usual bugs and spiders you find in them.