Fires Unknown
No Water Hookups
Paradox Lake - DEC is located in New York
7 Reviews of Paradox Lake - DEC
Nice place

Nice quiet campground. The lake was amazingly clear! enjoyed kayaking here. our visit was in July 2016 and the facilities could have been updated but were clean.

Great Campsite!

Just about 3 miles off the Northway, headed east on Rt.74, you’ll find Paradox campgrounds on your left. My family has been going here for 35 years. In my younger years we also camped there. At that time there were no showers and only one small circle of campsites. When we returned 35 years ago a lot had changed. There are now 3 circles of campsites to choose from, a total of 58 sites. A choice of tent, RV and pop ups sites available. No electric hook ups. Shower units are about 36 years old. They are kept clean however they do need to be updated. They are still usable. That being said, the park can only replace things if the monies are there. Sadly, that doesn’t happen as much as it should. They have recently replaced many of the fire places. The roadways have also recently been paved. The grounds are kept very clean. Staff is beyond helpful and informative. There is a boat launch. We don’t use it so I can’t comment on it. We kyack. It is a recycle campground. Schroon Village, the nearest small town, is within 5 miles down south on Rt.9. Supermarket, restaurants, laundromat, gas station and a small “village” department store are some of what you’ll find in the village. There is also a deli/store/gas station on Rt.9 that is even closer. The town of Ticonderoga is about 8 miles east of this campground. The famous Fort Ticonderoga is there. We like Paradox because you can take day trips to Lake Placid, Canada, Vermont or Lake George.

What’s the paradox? If you find out let me know.

Adirondacks scenery, camping along the lake. Trail access from campground. Swim & boat on site. Modern but basic state park. Some tent sites nicely private. Close to rt 87, convenient stop on the way to or from Canada from NYC.

Small and Quiet

It's a small campground with not much to offer. Knowing that going in it was a nice place to stay.

Beautiful Year Round!

Paradox Lake is beautiful all year round. I have been here numerous times throughout the year and it never disappoints. My favorite time to come is during the fall, when the leaves are changing colors and its a little colder outside. I have also visited (but didn't stay) in the winter when the lake has frozen over, and it is still gorgeous. During the summer months you can obviously do more in the water because it is warm outside, but it does get pretty busy June-August. There are many other great lakes nearby that you can always do side visits to if you stay here. There is Schroon Lake which is only about 10 minutes away. There are quite a few camping sites within the park, I want to say there is about 60 sites total. Just FYI, not all camping spots are by the water. I learned this the first time I stayed here. I thought every site would have a perfect, close access to the water, but that wasn't correct. Only about 5 sites are right on the water. The people who work at the campground are amazing. They are so friendly and helpful. We wanted to do some hiking, and they were able to direct us in the right direction. We ended up hiking Pharoah Mountain, which was pretty good trek but totally worth it. The campground is well maintained and taken care of, and the bathrooms are actually clean (which is a shocker because most places aren't!). This was a total A+ for me. I also will say that during the summer months, it is not only more crowded but it definitely is loud. I know my friends and I came here one summer to celebrate college classes being done, and there were a lot of other college students doing the same. A lot of people drinking, and loud music. Just FYI :) Great place, great lake!

Quiet and nice sites

Love staying here, however unfortunately they've started closing earlier in the fall. Close to all the eastern high peaks. Large and secluded sites.

Great Lake!

Paradox was beautiful. Lake had great view, went kayaking and enjoyed the scenery.