Arlee, MONTANA
Most Recent Arlee Camping Reviews
Jelly stone joke

The roads in the park are awful. Staff are very rude like they don’t wanna be there. Pool is not heated. Putt putt golf course old with rotten wood and holes are all ruined. Need about 20 foot of sewer hose to reach the sewer drain. Will not return to this park.

Spacious and beautiful

Entry fee is $12 per camp and gate closes to get back in at 10pm

I have camped here multiple times by tent and always enjoyed my stay. The camp spot at the very end of the road is by far the most private and spacious spot.

All of the camp spots are close to the river and have easy access to bathrooms and trails. I have camped with 4 tents in one space and still had room for more.

Great spot to stay

Bombs Away!!

Bombs away describes the one and only draw back to our visit, and a funny one. Pine cones dropping on the RV. Were the squirrels tossing them? I had to wonder 🤪

A quarter mile down the road that crosses the river is a grove of Western Larch, also known as tamaracks. The oldest tree is 1000 years old (see photo). Watch for signage and a tiny parking lot on the left. More: https://forestservicemuseum.org/exhibits/jim-girard/jim-girard-memorial-grove/

The campground backs up to the lovely Clearwater river with water lilies. Paved. Water spigot. Put toilets. So quiet, we planned to stay one night and have been here 3 so far. Feels like home… barring those pine cones that drop and scare the daylights out of me…

Seems perfect, but a couple big design flaws

Gorgeous part of the national forest, and the lower five campsites are gorgeous and creekside. Big downer- the 70mph highway is a stone’s throw away and every passing car seems pretty impossibly loud. If this were right next to town I’d consider coming back, but for an hour’s drive I’d expect something quieter. Also the upper sites are packed into a tiny ring and in plain sight of one another.

Out of the way hiding spot

Great little hidden gem. Just a handful of spspots to camp but absolutely beautiful!!

Private campsites, peaceful even on weekend

Plenty of open sites M-Th, even during the summer. Sites are close-ish together but very private because of the tree cover. The creekside sites are especially lovely.

Pretty Spot

This is a free campsite, we stayed on the lake loop, There is water available. Very busy place. One group of people would leave and there would be someone in the site within an hour or two. There is a loop a little before the lake which is wooded. We were there for July 4 weekend and were told to be ready for an amazing display of fireworks and they were right! Lasted about 2 hours - private fireworks but were beautiful. Husband kayaked and larger boats were in the water. For being as busy as it was the nights were quiet.

Nice free campground

Free, close to lake quite campground. The bathroom ran out of TP but what do you expect to get for free? I’ll be back with my own TP

Great KOA, odd location

Our stay here was really good. The sites are large and wooded. Lots of amenities and activities for kids. The bathrooms were incredibly clean. Tip: showers in the bathrooms by the pool. They are huge and you can lock the door so no one else can come in.

The location was really odd through. It was sandwiched in the middle of a mobile home park and between an industrial area off the highway and the back of a strip mall. You could easily walk to shopping from here if needed. It wasn’t bad, just really unusual. If I was in the area I’d stay again despite this. Friendly staff and well kept overall.

Quiet creekside campground

Campground with 22 sites, vault toilets, bear proof garbage, and plenty of water spigots. Placed at the base of 'wagon mountain' there is a small day use parking area, and 22 sites. We stayed in site 1 over a small bridge. It was a bit close to the highway. There was minimal night traffic, but it's a popular motorcycle road so the morning had more noise.

Make sure to pack any food in bear proof containers or a hard sided vehicle.

Right oFF the highway but just what I needed.

I was traveling on my own coming home from a holiday weekend. I needed to find a safe comfortable place to sleep for the night. I arrived at 10:30pm and the two gentlemen that greeted me at this RV park could not have been more helpful or kind.

Really a nice older established RV park.

Right next to beautiful golf course in Polson MT. All the hookups. Pool, hot tub, pickle ball courts.

Nice hosts, but expensive

I came here in a Friday evening hoping to snag a campground, but it was full. The hosts approached me and were very kind and understanding and let me stay in the overflow - however, one night of camping for a non-Montana resident is $34!! The hosts again lowered it to $24 since I didn’t need any electric hookup. Normally I wouldn’t pay that much, but it was getting late and there weren’t many other options.

Nice and peaceful

We stayed at one of the cabins, small but with everything that you need (bed, coffee maker, bathroom with toiletries, mini fridge and microwave). There are several cute hiking trails with gorgeous scenery. Also, the saloon offers good comfort food and beverages.

Beautiful place quiet only issue was the bugs

Great place

Stayed 4 nights Memorial Day weekend , camp ground was clean and well maintained, camp ground was full all weekend but very peaceful, we will be back soon.

Stayed two seperate nights, outbound and on the return. Would do it again.

Well maintained, clean, and easily accessed.  The staff was friendly and helpful.  It is a rather large park but you are guided to your site.  They have a well stocked store if you need to stock up on supplies.  I would gladly stay there again if I'm in the area.

Our New Favorite!

We stayed at a couple of state parks in Northwest Montana, but this one was by far the best! We planned to spend a week in the area and had to split the stay between two parks. Placid was amazing! The water was perfect, campsites were easy to get in and out of. The bathrooms and showers were super clean. We ran into the same park manager again and he remembered us from our stay at another place. The campground hosts were great. We spent a little time in Seeley Lake and had some great food at The Ice Cream Place. We highly recommend it too - and get Huckleberry everything!

Nice campground with lake access

Salmon Lake is quite stunning. There's a nice boat launch and dock right off the highway. It's a busy spot for day use. We camped in our RV so we weren't bothered by the road noise, but if you were in a tent, it might be bothersome. Really impressed by the cleanliness of the shower and restrooms. We constantly saw staff during our 3-night stay. They were helpful and friendly. We met the park manager (Ryan I think). He came to talk to us about Bear safety and our grill. He gave the kids a state park ranger badge and a sucker. It was super nice to deal with someone who handles rules and enforcement tactfully. Now my son says he wants to be a park ranger 😂

Overall, this park was great but we would likely stay at a less busy park in the future.

Nice, clean campsites near the river

My family and I loved this campground. We are tent campers. It was well-laid-out. We did a little exploring by the beaver pond and river. The staff was super friendly. It was great access - right off the interstate. Facilities were clean.

Quick Stop, Very Pleasant

Unplanned road trip from Seattle to Glacier NP. I had planned on staying in Missoula for the night, or at least camping close. It was terribly hot, around 100 degrees at 8pm. We started heading south from Missoula into Lolo Ntl Forest towards Idaho. Every campground we came across was full. Almost to Idaho, we pulled into this lovely place. We pulled into the upper (left) side. There were not many folks camping here, but the right or lower side was full. It was quiet, the vault toilet was clean and stocked. Our site was cut into a steep hill. Tent pad and table were level, but be careful heading the couple feet down to the car. The woods behind us gave me a little pause about bears and wildlife, but we were just fine. It was cool, shady, and quiet. A lovely last night to our trip before pushing back home.

You won't find a more beautiful drive than Hwy 12 through Idaho! I wish I would have taken pictures but I must have been camera'd out after our time in Glacier.

Watch for bears

This campground had bear warnings everywhere - tables, signs, all over. We didn't see any bears.

This spot is on the Blackfoot River, but perched above it. The banks are quite reedy and overgrown. This makes water gathering a bit challenging.

You go past some stunning ranches to get here. There's a gun range just up the road, and you'll definitely hear shooting throughout the day.

Mission Falls

Tribal land, permit required. Primitive road, passable but can be very muddy…

Unremarkable - but no problems

Stayed one quick night in the "Tent Village" where each site gets a pie shaped section of an octogon. Everything was fine. Very ok. Amazingly alright.

The location was a bit funky - had to take a spur street then drive through a trailer park to reach the KOA proper. No big deal, just left me wondering if I came in the back way or something.

Close to town, clean; I'd stay again, but I'd scope other options first.

For a state park fee - totally worth it!

GORGEOUS! dry camping but beautiful view! We had lake front with a picnic table by the lake. Friendly hosts & rangers. Bathrooms & water pumps available

Quiet, Pristine Mountain Lake

If you're looking for a sleepy spot to relax and enjoy that isn't inundated with tourists, this is the place. This lovely lake campground has spacious sites, most are level and graveled, picnic tables, pit toilets, potable water on site, a lodge style restaurant for meals and drinks, and hiking trails right from the campground. Everything is kept neat and tidy, and the boat launch is not far from the campground. The launch is very shallow, so you're not going to get a surf boat in, or a large pontoon boat either, which is part of why this lake is still peaceful. Lots of opportunity to kayak, paddle board and swim. It's pet friendly, and campers regularly leave their water toys, kayaks, canoes, etc., on the shoreline during their stay with no fear of them being stollen. The hike to Holland Falls is suitable for beginners and children, but be aware that it's rocky when you reach the falls, and dogs and children should be supervised in that area. There are both black and grizzly bears that frequent this area daily, so be very careful with your food, and bear aware when hiking. My last stay was only 2 nights, and I ran into two bears, one that strolled right by my trailer. This is my favorite camp ground for an escape from reality!

Lolo Creek Campground Montana

Despite how this site has it listed, the sign says Lolo Creek Campground . This is in Montana . https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/lolo/recarea/?recid=10268

This this is a well-maintained forest service Campground right on Highway 12 about 15 minutes. (20 miles) north of Lolo the town. There is an adjacent day-use picnic area with about 3 or 4 picnic tables pretty well separated and in the woods. I believe they each have a grill with them. If the campsite is full and you are self-contained, the parking lot maybe a good pull off spot.

There are 17 camping sites about half are pull throughs. It is heavily forested and Lolo Creek is adjacent but not in the campground. However, two of the sites are very near the creek. Because it is beside Highway 12, you can hear the road noise but this quiets down substantially after dark. This also makes it super easy if you are traveling and need to pull off for the night.

There are 3 Wells with potable water( lift the handle ) and 2 well-maintained and stocked pit toilets. Each site has a metal fire ring and a picnic table. Some sites have really nice areas for tents , others the tent might be a little bumpy! There is a campground host and a dumpster for trash. Bear proofing regulations are in effect.

There Is No Reservations, no electricity. no services for RVs, no cell, and no firewood for sale.

I stayed the maximum amount of time which is 16 days. Most of that time I could have had a fire if I wanted but the last few days there was a fire ban due to very dry conditions. I was there in August.

The cost is $10 a night payable in cash or US Bank drawn checks. There is a $4 per night charge for a second vehicle at a site. This is for every night that you are there.

There are a few nice but not necessarily Stellar hikes in the area. None originate near the campground, you must drive to them. The campground host was very helpful in directing us to these. Lolo Creek Campground was spared in the Lolo forest fire of 2017. However some areas slightly South between the campground and the town are burnt out. But the new growth of bright green framing the black trees imakes for some visually beautiful hiking.

Lolo Creek itself is cold and I saw several guys fishing. If you can take the temperature it's a great wading Creek too!

There isn't any cell service at the campground and I have Verizon. In fact, you lose cell service shortly north of Lolo.

Up the road going north about three-quarters of a mile is Jack's Saloon. You have to drive about three-quarters of a mile back a very well-maintained dirt road. This is a bar , a restaurant with what looked like a very decent food even though I didn't have any , and music there one or two nights a week. The theme is lumberjacking and the bar is made out of a single giant log , many of the bar stools are carved out of single logs as well and there is a swinging log bar stool. There was a quite good blues band there the Saturday night I went. This bar was in the movie The Best Bar in America. This is your closest civilization if you want to get something to eat. Otherwise, you have to drive 15 or so minutes south to Lolo where there are several restaurants, a couple fast food places Quick Stop's, gasoline and a casino. Do try Florence coffee it's a drive-thru and yummy.

There may be a restaurant at Lolo Hot Springs about 5 miles north on Highway 12, past Jack's. Lolo Hot Springs is a large complex with hot springs pool, many buildings, camping, and cabins and a sign that proclaims a cafe. I assume it's open to the public and not just guests, but I personally did not verify that. Their rates for anything are not listed on their website , neither is availability if you want to camp. You must call. I called two different times and left messages. they didn't return my call either time . I called a third time and got a person who answered my questions. It's more than triple the cost at staying Lolo Creek but then there's all the amenities too. There's another dance Campground on the other side Lolo Creek Campground that has about the same prices as the hot springs.

Also, be careful, there is much wildlife along Highway 12, and I saw deer multiple times crossing the road at night. And though I didn't see any, between the campground and Jack's is a painted on the road moose Crossing.

This is a clean Campground and I was happy to stay there. I I can highly recommend this Campground if you can live without electricity and cell phone for the duration of your stay. And you're main activity is either leaving the campsite to go find something else to do, simply hanging out, or some trout fishing in the creek.

Cabins in the mountains

4 cabins and a bar on site.

loved the quite

We dispersed camp just down from this campground. We will stay here again.