Lake Waukomis , MISSOURI

This Black Friday Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Lake Waukomis Camping Reviews
Great place to camp!

This was the second campground I visited with my new camper. It was easy to get to, beautiful overlooking the lake, and was clean. The hiking trails were overgrown and no longer accessible.

Rude Ranger at Gate and dump station disgusting

The campsite was okay. It was a busy weekend and we were not in a preferred spot, but it was wooded. The ranger at the gate was horrid. He was rude, yelled at each person coming through. He was especially annoyed at me for wearing a mask. He wasn’t and was within 3 feet. Lawrence is a college town with high rates of covid across the campus. He is talking one on one with these kids several times a day! He seriously grabbed my phone out of my hand when I asked him not to. The dump station has pooling sewer water and the water was not working. The park lacks maintenance, and it could be cut backs due to covid. Clinton lake it nice, but beware if heading out for camping.

Awesome

Loved our weekend here at this campsite. Like another review said, there are no check in/check out process- check in times are late 5PM and check out is 6PM. Our site was spacious and not too close to our neighbors. It had a few trees perfect for our hammocks and provided ample shade. The firepit had an attached grill but it was too dirty for us to use. There was also a large hook to hang lanterns/garbage. You can find little playgrounds through the campsite. We did see A few rangers patrolling in the late evening.

The bathrooms were a short walk away and were not the cleanest I’ve seen but clean. Shower pressure varies with each stall and does have hot water. There is no hand soap in the restrooms but hand-dryers. dumpsters are a close walk by.

We drove to the loading dock to catch a sweet sunrise - also stopped by the beach but it was too dirty for our liking us to swim.

It was mostly family RV camping, but a quiet weekend overall. The only complaint I have is that there are lots of bugs/spiders. Overall, i would definitely come back again and hopefully snag a site by the waters.

Great Camping

Stayed here for three nights. All spots have plenty of shade when we walked around. Shower house and bathrooms were clean and nice. Lots of things to do such as boating, kayaking, paddle boarding, fishing and swimming. Fire pits were even nice with an attached grill grate.

Great for an overnight stop!

My husband and I pulled into this campground around 7 pm and didn’t have a reservation. The instructions at the self pay were confusing, as the directions made it sound like you needed a reservation but when we talked to the campground host she said we could just pay at the permit office in the morning. We stayed in Campground 1 in one of the primitive sites. There were many sites to choose from even through there were quite a few campers here during the middle of the week. It was a bit of a hike to the water but the bathrooms were clean and had single room toilets with showers. Beautiful area with lots of wildlife!

Middle of town Getaway

The original plan was to be in Blue Springs for an outdoor off-road RC event, camping in our pup with a generator at the track. Cue pouring down rain for a week and the event is postponed, with notification out midday on Thursday. I had been eyeing this campground as a possibility for the area, and I'm so glad we decided to pull the trigger and camp anyway! We had a great pick of sites online, were able to book Thursday night and head out Friday early afternoon from central Iowa. It poured down rain for the whole trip, but you wouldn't be able to tell by looking at our site. The staff was super friendly, as well as other campers nearby. We chose a spot near (but not too near) the restroom on an outside loop (site 50). Pros: Facilities are kept very clean, staff is friendly, gated grounds, sites have great drainage, other campers were very quiet, Fleming Park has a lot to do and see, including a native hoofed animal enclosure.
Cons: You may only use campground firewood (BUT, we got 3 buckets of really great wood that lasted Friday and Saturday night), the previous tenants of our site left a bunch of trash behind (nothing against the campground, but irritates me in general), the highway can definitely be heard, but wasn't overly distracting, the floor drainage in the shower house (men and women) was variable dependent on which stall you chose. Most certainly would stay again!

City Camping

If you’re wanting to camp where you are close to city amenities, this is the spot for you. My husband, our dog and I camped in one of the tent spots, but there were mostly RV’s around us. The bathrooms and laundry area were relatively clean and the camp hosts were very friendly and helpful. You can’t see the lake from the campground, and there was some road noise from morning commuters but overall it’s a nice stop for a night or two. We felt very safe here since they require an access code to get into the gate.

Beautiful 100 Year Old Farmhouse and Property

Very nice hosts. Quiet, secluded spot.

Nicely shaded spots.

We stayed for two days in spot #92. Many of the spots have a good amount of room, but there are some that looked tricky to level. 92 was fine for leveling. The only downside is that the spots, while larger, are fairly open (in the area around 92). I prefer a spot that has a tucked away fire pit and table, but this worked OK for us. Bathhouses were clean and there is a great 3.75 mile paved loop around the lake if you have dogs that enjoy long walks.

Large campground but bad signage

Stopped here on our way from East Tennessee to Yellowstone. The campground we stayed at was called Campground #3. Confusingly called Cornflower loop on the reservation website but never saw anything with that name at the campground. The maps on the kiosks are pretty worthless. No signs point the way so not a good way to start off having a hard time finding the site. No hosts anywhere to be found at 6:00 pm either.

Campsite was nice. Look at or near Site 411 for spacious, wooded, and more spread out campsites. Some are more out in a field setting. Side bonus: Site 411 has an enormous White Oak tree next to it!