Aitkin, MINNESOTA
Most Recent Aitkin Camping Reviews
Family owned & operated

Peaceful and serene, at the end of the road. Family camping RV sites have playground right there. Paddle Boats available and swimming beach. Right on the lake so kids spent a lot of time in the lake and on the lake fishing. Shower house has bathroom and washer & dryer.

Stunning yurts and unbelievable clear lakes

For someone who likes to do it all Cuyuna Country State Recreation Area is the place to be!!!

From Rv Camping and tent camping to amazing secluded Yurts on a trout pond there are more than enough options to camp and stay.

The campground itself isn’t anything to rave about, and is mostly open and pretty close together but the yurts, those are a different story!

The yurts are set on a beautiful only mine pit that is stocked with all kinds of trout. The have a wood burning stove, bunk beds, table, chairs, bear locker, fire ring and picnic table. There is a pergola style shelter with a full roof for outdoor cooking.

The view of the trout pond is absolutely stunning and fishing isn’t bad either if you know how to fish trout. There is a shop in town that will deliver kayaks and pick them up when you are done for a small fee, like 50$ for the day?

The old mine pits around and in the park are pristine and literally crystal clear! You can see hundreds of feet down through crystal clear water making it an amazing place to canoe and kayak.

If you are into mountain biking, this is definitely the park for you! Some of the best mountain biking red dirt trails are located in this recreation area! Shops in town rent bikes too! The views from the trails are breathtaking!

Overall, one of my favorite places to hike, bike, camp and, paddle!

Short, but awesome!

Our reservation was for June 28-July2, but ended up coming home yesterday due to my father getting ill. Although our stay was not as long as planned, we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The resort is small, something we appreciate, but offers enough for my 84 yr old father to my 3 yr old granddaughter. Ron and Lois are amazing, and I promised them I would return to their charming resort.

Nice spot on the lake

A nice surprise We had site #50 in Lakeview Campground, this site is located on the rise and had nice breezes, close to showers, lake and playground.

Town of Isle is very close by along with other small towns dotted around the lake. Casino within 30 minutes.

Nice campground with very clean bathrooms. The new owners are very nice but all over your business every step along the way. The microscope on every one of your moves is exhausting.

Great place

Great campground. Very clean and nice. Good fishing, nice lake and and good staff.

Decent place for the price

We had a decent time at this campground. The seasonal sites are much nicer than the regular ones. We kept catching smells from the septic throughout the weekend. There is also a pretty decent hill you have to go down to get to your site so if you’re nervous or new to pulling a camper just be aware. Other than that it was a decent time.

Nice campground surrounded by activities

Nice spacious sites. Clean. Lots of amenities in the surrounding area. Good golfing. Good times

Great campground

The staff is friendly, and go above and beyond to make sure your stay is good. The sites are clean and level. They have a pool and playground for kids among other activities. We go here every year and will continue to do so.

Family friendly

Great campground with lots of fun activities. Has a pool to cool down on a hot day. Sites are nice size some with decent tree coverage.

Beautiful State Park

This is a wonderful state park with parts along the shores of Mille Lacs.  The park hosts various seminars throughout the week.  There are several places to swim and a big playground for the little ones.  Mosquitoes are thick here so come prepared.

Not a campground

This listing is a duplicate for the Warba American Legion campground. There is no campground in Warba center, the actual campground is just to the west on Hwy 2, see correct listing and review for Warba Legion Campground

Nice place to camp

My friend and I go here about twice a year. It is an excellent Campground that cost around $26 a night there is on-site electricity but not water or sewer there are several stations close by then you can hook a hose to and fill. The lots are spacious and has a good size playground . It also has a shower and toilet facility and great views of the Mississippi River.

Welcome to my dream home and camp in its glory for a night

What a pivotal moment - to invite strangers into your home - and yet this is what you become part of at Yurt in the Pines. First Bob and Roxanne sit down with you to lessen the distance of unknowing. Their commitment to an ethical lifestyle permeates their conversation and continues as you tour their property. Reclaimed and/or locally sourced building material went into creating the elements that make this off grid home. From a solar powered dehydrator to the solar panels powering the house, a commitment to living with a small carbon footprint is evident. The mowed paths guide you around - past the impeccable garden and the building they’re preparing as another guest house. You’ll want to stop at the outhouse. A brilliant rope catch holds the door closed. A repurposed solar shower provides running water. To top it off, local students built it to help fuel their college dreams. The path meanders through the property. We saw deer and beaver tracks along with a variety of wildflowers. Watch your step as you explore this former Christmas tree farm.

Eventually the path leads to the yurt. It’s in a large grassy opening with plenty of room for additional tents. A picnic table is near the fire pit. Bob and Roxanne even started a fire so I would have warm coals as a base for my own fire. Plenty of wood and some kindling was nearby. Open the glass door (with another fascinating closure system) and enter the wood floored yurt. A table holds fresh water. They gave me a mat that folds into a couch to use. After a comfortable nights sleep, I woke to sun rays outlining the pine tree framed by the glass door. Bob and Roxanne thought of all the details to make this a perfect place.

If the yurt and beautiful setting don’t entice you to come back, the friendliest hosts around will beckon your return.

State forest dispersed camping

Dispersed camping along the forest roads. Areas are cleared away that are quite separate giving some privacy. They are right on the road so vehicles pass by. Off road trails can be found but we did not discover cleared hiking paths. After finding a tick quickly we just hiked along the road. Only one other camper so during the non-hunting season this might be a good stopover.

We did encounter a lot of birds as well as deer.

My Favorite Park

The fall colors are spectacular, the trails are amazing, and it does t matter what time of year you arrive.

I make 2 trips here a year.

Fisher’s would like it

Vault toilets and a dock. Not s great swimming area, but if your goal is for a fire and some fishing, this isn’t a bad place

Great park

Park Rangers were super helpful and friendly! Loved the campsite even though I made a dumb mistake and booked the wrong weekend. Ranger helped get us a different site despite the busy weekend. Watch for ticks though, they were out in droves in the area. Very clean toilets.

Our Dogs Loved It -

Just kidding, our dogs hate camping but we definitely enjoyed Crow Wing. The park ranger was super helpful on our first visit to the park. The campgrounds were beautiful, hiking trails were fun and the fishing was a blast. We would definitely head back to Crow Wing for more camping adventures!

Great hosts

This campground is small, but everyone is friendly. No tent sites available on the lake as those are reserved for rv, but the tent area is nice and wooded.

Great family campground

Great place to camp. The dedicated tent sites are limited, but lots of rv sites. Electrical at every site and everyone is friendly. There are even showers and plumbed bathrooms. Only reason not a five star is that the bathrooms tent to get pretty bad and could use more than once a day cleaning on holiday weekends.

Awesome setting

Stayed at RV site #4 on their opening weekend. Finishing touches still underway but this plus will be outstanding when finished. Looking forward to our return visit

Large sites, beautiful location

Located just south of Mille Lacs in central Minnesota, Mille Lacs Kathio State Park is large and welcoming.

In addition to a state park and campground, the park is also on the nation register of historical sites, owing to the large number of archeological digs, revealing human activity in the area that dates back thousands of years.

The sites are large and spaced decently from each other. We could have used a little more privacy between sites, but this can be written off as an effect of being nearly in the season.

With the exception of a large family reunion, the park was quiet and you can easily find yourself alone from the crowds.

Canoes are available for rental, which allow for fishing in the Rum River. There is also an observation platform- the climb can be intimidating, but the views are well worth it!

I wasn’t able to find a spot to find a spot to fish from shore at, but that could just be my failure.

The Interpretive Center gave you a really good glimpse into the wildlife and history of the area, as well as provided an assortment of activities.

The facilities were a little time-worn, but clean, and the water in the showers heater fast.

My family and I had a wonderful time, and will be back!

Wonderful people

In ground pool game room volleyball basketball Very new owners

Ranger Review of OOFOS shoes at Father Hennepin State Park in MN

While I have seen parks and campsites with more privacy, there are so many trees (and many sites with a lake view) that it's worth a stay at Father Hennepin State Park in MN. Especially if you are rocking out with a pair of OOFOS flipflops!

CAMPGROUND REVIEW:

We've stayed at this campground a few times before, and it should seem obvious that since we keep coming back, it's not too shabby. Yes, I've seen campgrounds that have more privacy between spaces, but I don't think this place is every terribly crowded (at least not when we visit, in May). The leaves are just beginning to bud on the trees, so there is less coverage from your neighbors than in the heat of the summer, but since there are less campers, you can spread out a little bit. My only complaint, and this is the same of previous years here, is that the electric sites are so close to the tent sites that you can generally hear the generators and/or those that think that the wilderness is for loud music dance parties. Fortunately, this time, we were in our new teardrop camper and could shut out the tunes!

We were at site 7, which was the last one in this campground that sits and faces the lake. And while we've been to this site before, it's the first time we've been in our Teardrop Trailer at this park. Lucky for us, the ice was gone and the wind was pretty calm, so the icy chill wasn't too bad. Each site has a fire ring with a grate that swings back and forth, depending on if you want to chill by the flames, or grill off some burgers. The site we had was fairly level. and provided ample space to park our teardrop and our car without hanging out into the road. A picnic table rounded out the scene to provide a full on camping experience. And lovely night sounds of frogs that sang us to sleep!

There are well over a hundred sites, about 100 of them tent pads (no electric), and about 50 with electric. A few group campsites as well as 4 handicapped sites.There are 2 shower houses, 2 flush toilet buildings, vault toilets scattered around and water (in season, when it's turned on).

In Minnesota, reservations are required. We've found that if you make them in advance, and then decide to cancel the day of the reservation, there are cancellation fees and first night fees and blah blah blah. If, however, you decide to take your chances and book it the "day of", there are no online reservation fees and you can cancel without penalty if you decide to go elsewhere.

Drive in sites are approximately $23/night. Electric are about $34/night.

PRODUCT REVIEW:

Now, I have to admit, I'm an OOFOS junkie. Ever since I won a pair in my very firsts campground contest. That said, I'll never pass up the chance to review another pair! This time, I had the OOFOS Women's OOriginal Sandal. The last pair I had was a light color, and I loved the shoes, but they got dirty so quickly. Since these shoes are a type of foam, they scuff and dirty a little easier than other shoes, but the comfiness of them is off the chart, so they are totally worth having in other colors! This time, I chose black, to combat and dirt issues I might have while camping. If you can't see the dirt, it's not there, right?

OOFOS are recovery shoes, and I didn't know what that meant at first, but just wait until you put them on at the end of a hard day on your feet (long work day, long hike, etc). They literally massage the sole of your foot. I'm not joking. I can't believe how my feet feel when I change shoes. If I listen veeeeeery carefully, I can hear my feet smiling! They are sort of spongy and squishy, but not in a strange way. Like walking on marshmallows! (but not sticky). Seriously, they cushioning, higher arch and wide fashion of the shoe (yes, it's a little chunkier, not a huge fashion statement) make it stable and comfy. They hug your feet and don't slip off the way some other "slippy" flipflops can. And so lightweight! The price is a little more than I normally pay for shoes, but I'd absolutely invest in another pair if this one wears out. The bottom has some fun grippy texture that looks as if it might channel away water if you stepped in a puddle.

Quite frankly, as long as I have my OOFOS, I don't care what campground I'm staying at, but this one is good enough that I enjoy staying a little while, to look at the lake and enjoy the singing frogs!

Great campground in Cuyuna country

Super convenient to excellent restaurants and Cuyuna Brewery in downtown Crosby. Very clean bathrooms/showerhouse. Connected by trail to Cuyuna Rec Area world class mountain bike trails. Owners are very responsive.

Great campground

Great campground for kids,

Great camping in Gull Lake

This is an impressively well run campground nestled on both sides of the Gull River and on the shores of Gull Lake. The campsites are very large and impeccably maintained, there are several bathhouses, and many of the sites have electric hook-ups for those who want them. There is a picnic area, playground, and fishing pier on the river, and another playground at the beach on the lake. There is a full boat launch with double docks, also hiking trails, access right in to the Paul Bunyan state bike trail, and close proximity to several nationally ranked golf courses.It is a pretty great location for a family vacation at the lake without being too rustic and remote, for those who like to be outdoors but have a variety of tourist and outdoor activities to do. I would also mention that the campground really is nicely handicapped accessible, with broad open campsites, accessible bathrooms, and paved trails, so this would be a good place for folks in wheelchairs or scooters. Overall I really wish I could give the campground a 5 star rating as the facilities and setting really deserve it; however, the lake has been recently found to have invasive zebra mussels, which is a serious problem. Fortunately I didnt see evidence of them at the beach, but they are everywhere at the boat landing.

Hidden gem for rustic camping!

This campground is really a hidden gem that i never knew about even though it is within an hour drive of my home. It is a rustic state forest campground with great campsites located in a gorgeous oak-birch-pine forest and right on a pretty lake. Although the campsites are karge enough to accomodate RVs, there are no hookups and no amenities like a bath house, so the campground favors tent campers. Many of the sites are right on the lake, including oarking space, tent pad, fire ring and picnic table, and each of these have a small lake access for swimming or launching a canoe or kayak. There is also a day use area with beach and boat launch, plus a nice nature trail. You can enjoy a quiet family weekend in the deep woods here, but still pop into the town of Pillager which is only 10 miles away. Well kept, quiet and peaceful

Upscale marina living for RVers

I am not an RV camper, but thought I would visit as I was passing by and this campground had no reviews yet. For RV camping, this spot is very nice, very upscale for an RV park, and rental of a camp site not only comes with full electric water and sewage hookups but also a slip at the marina. The grounds are immaculate, and the setting on Gull Lake and near Love Lake is very pretty and will appeal to fishermen and boaters fir sure. The only downside is that there is no daily or weekly rental possibility, only monthly or seasonal. The monthly rate is 2500$ for one month, but the seasonal rate for five months (May to October) is 5500$ inclusive. If you hsve you own RV and boat and want to park them for the summer season and go back and forth between home and “The Lake”, this seems like a reasonable option as the price is right and the campground is nice. I am giving it a 4 star rating rather than 5 because of the lack of short term camping options, and also it doesnt seem family friendly in terms of amenities like playgrounds, but I think adults would really enjoy it!