Equestrian
About Banning State Park
Banning State Park is located in Minnesota
22 Reviews of Banning State Park
Well maintained campground with plenty of space

We stayed here mid-week in August and there were a few campsites available. The sites themselves are spread out, so they feel relatively private for a campground. Each site had a woodchip bed upon which you can pitch your tent, making sleeping here one of our more comfortable camping experiences during our road trip. You can conveniently pay the site reservation fee online, no printing necessary. You do need to remember to separately pay your car entrance fee, also online. The campground had nice, clean bathroom facilities and an impressive recycling system. Only downside is that the sites in our area smelled faintly like an outhouse, which was likely worsened by the recent rain.

Peaceful

Very quiet retreat. Campsites are well kept and bathroom/showers are nice. Trails are nicely maintained and the waterfall is beautiful. Camp host is helpful and great to just talk to. The office staff were great and very nice. Recommend! We will definitely stay again.

My Favorite Park

The fall colors are spectacular, the trails are amazing, and it does t matter what time of year you arrive.

I make 2 trips here a year.

Really awesome trail heads-moderate to difficult

Secluded campsites, electrical hookups, friendly staff. Beautiful sights and amazing trail heads. Some were challenging but worth it! Bathrooms/showers were really clean as well.

Easy access to a great park

Banning is located just off I35 but you would never know it; unlike other parks close to highways, we didn’t hear any road noise at all. Small campground (34 sites including one cabin, about a third with electric). Some sites (18-34 especially) offer great privacy. Clean bathrooms. Great hiking trails (although the Wolf Creek Trail between the split from High Bluff and the falls is not marked and can get a little confusing to navigate). The Quarry Loop Trail is also interesting and you can pick up an interpretive map.

Wooded Sites with great hiking and river swimming

This park seems to be a missed gem as people head farther north towards Superior. This park has decent facilities and fun hiking along the bluffs of the Kettle River. There is a self guided tour of a historic granite quarry, and a great swimming place with a waterfall.

We will definitely be visiting again!

Just a quick overnight

Camped here #7 for an overnight while heading to the North Shore. camp site was nice and adequate for what I needed. Next morning I captured the geocache I was looking for and back on the road. I loved how the park had clean pit toilets and recycling bins!!

pretty area and easy to get to

Plenty of trails to hike, pretty waterfall and some interesting history. Easy to get to just off of I-35

Lots to explore

This campground has many trails to hike right along the kettle river. Hike along the dirt trail or make it a little more adventurous by holding along the cliffs right over the river! There is also a beautiful water fall sort of like a treasure if you decide to go for a long hike! Wonderful place!

The best trees I’ve seen in a long time!!!

I had the pleasure of stopping at this park as part of a day trip to do some hiking and relaxing and can’t wait to get back!!! Banning State Park also has an old quarry you can see if you’re interested. The hiking trails were well marked and clean and the bathrooms were also nice! (I can now say I’ve been in a composting bathroom that the smell didn’t make me want to die- super bonus!!!) However the real magic of Banning State Park was the beautiful river and the fauna. It was so so incredibly beautiful. Tall and lush trees in every direction! We also saw several different Warblers!