Marquette, KANSAS

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Marquette Camping Reviews
Lakefront winter gem

We camped here from December 7th till 8th. A quick trip. A little chilly, but not bad for what we were expecting. This was our first time to Ottawa, and I must say we were pleasantly surprised. The grounds are free for 14days before you have to move along. We took a drive around the whole lake to scope out a good camping spot. A few of the areas on the north and east side were closed off for the winter, leaving the large west side as the only option. We found a great spot near the lake, take the farthest road to the right when the road splits, it’s backed by the trees and next to the lake. Open areas, no hookups. Trees were very helpful with blocking the wind. There were only two other campers on the grounds with us, both at opposite ends of the grounds. Campfire rings are chained down, some are bigger and taller than others. Only a few had grates if you didn’t bring your own. The only real downside about the grounds we had was the trash. There are no trash cans, so people just leave trash lying around. We did a quick pickup around our area, and gathered what you see in the grey bucket picture below. The toilets were open, however they are pretty much a hole in the ground with a seat attached. No sinks. There are a few benches, wood or concrete, around, but not at every site. There is a nice open building with two fireplaces if you are needing some place to gather. It looks like it may have been closed in at some point because there are spots for toilets closed off. It also looks like it has possible electric hookup. If you are looking for a great spot for a quick getaway, or quite vacation spot, this would be a great place to do so! We will definitely be back.

Rockin’ K

We stayed at Eagle Point as we don not have horses but this campground had the shower house that we used which was very clean and the water was actually hot! Very well maintained!

Eagle Point

Well maintained campground right on the water! Will defiantly return!

Ok for Stopover

Very small campground. No frills here but shower house was clean. We were arriving around 7 pm and no other campground would answer their phones. The owner met us and helped us get into our spots after dark. Close to the highway but it was very quiet.

Very Nice But Noisy

This is a nice campground with pull-through spots, playground, nice washroom/showers. Some spots even have concrete patios with fire pits and grills. A few tiny cabins and a “glamping” tent. The only negative is that the sites are very close together and it is right off I-70 which is very noisy all night long.

Beautiful views with full hookups

Well kept, beautiful views with water/electric/sewer and only 4 pull through spots next to a few cabins so it’s quiet and not crowded. Rangers are helpful and friendly. Water is clean and clear. Great park! Full service marina and store on site with supplies, groceries, fun stuff.

Wonderful Facilities

Very nice laundry room and bathroom facilities! Standard tent camping site. Nice staff - check out the postcards in the office!

Options For Every Camper

When traveling to Kansas there are 26 state parks to visit.     It might be a bit difficult to decide which you would like to consider for your outing however I would like to encourage you to give Wilson Lake State Park a thought.    There are several reasons which you might find appealing however one of the most impressive I have found is the sheer amount of camping you can find featuring a variety of options.

Wilson's Lake State Park has everything from primitive camping to Cabins and everything in between.   There are sites designed for RVs both small and large offering everything from standard electric to full connections.    With 240 sites on location this can quickly be considered as one of the best camping of this area.

Lake views are accessible from almost every campsite at the Park with up close and personal access in several of the loops.     Prices vary from Primitive to Improved sites  from $13 to $26.

I found that while some of the loops provided more primitive restroom accommodations others had very nice flush toilets and showers.   There is a playground central to the park and several areas which you can launch smaller vessels such as canoes or kayaks and a larger boat ramp.

I checked out the various loops while visiting and found that many of the loops were semi even and provided various levels of shade to help you even on the hottest of days.   When I visited there had been a lot of recent rains which elevated the lake levels and lessened the beach access dramatically however typically there is a very nice beach area near two of the camping loops.

The outdoor space of the park has been a point of focus and the creation of a large bike trail was constructed to allow people to get out and enjoy the surroundings.    Many additionally, hike this path to see a bit more of the nature of the area which include deer, rabbits and foxes.

I really enjoyed my visit to the park.   Upon meeting the camp host I learned that the booking policy for the campground is very flexible and they do encourage you to make sure you try to book in advance during peak traffic season.

TIPS:

• Try to book in advance of 2 months for a cabin.   These spaces are very limited and often from June to September they are booked all weekends.
  • Bring your fishing pole.   There is a great access point for those wanting to fish from the shore before you get to the park entrance and another just after entering.
Most Coveted Campground of the State Park

Wilson’s Lake in Kansas is something of a departure from surrounding areas of Kansas. If you take a moment to pull just a slight distance off the major highways and toward the Wilson’s Lake area you will be pleasantly surprised as the world begins to roll and open up into vibrant hillsides winding their way though the area.

I honestly stopped myself for a moment and checked the map thinking to myself in such a cliche way,“ We are not in Kansas anymore.”

But just as the map proved, I was in fact still in the same state, I noticed more and more signs for Wilson’s Lake State Park and found it was a must see while visiting the area.

The road winds you down to the park and down to what seems like a dead end just at the Yarrow Campground. This campground is one of the most coveted in the park because of its location, its convenience and its size.

When visiting Wilson Lake you might want to consider this loop for improved camping.   When I visited I noticed that the roadways in and out of the campsite were well structured to provide ample movement for larger units with back up capabilities.   While this loop also offers tent camping, it really is designed for the small to mid-size RVs.

Each campsite was equipped with a picnic table and fire ring, although I must say that some of the tables in this area were lacking a bit and needed some updating.    The sites also included water and electric hook ups with reasonable spacing between sites.   Pull- in/ back-in sites were graveled and semi level while the area between the spaces were grassy and lush.    During summer months this would be a perfect retreat for families looking to have a little fun together but still have convenience.

What I liked most about this particular site was the proximity it had to the swimming beach and also the restrooms.   Within 100 yards of one another you could access flushing toilets and showers or fun in the sun.     This was the best overall campground for accessing both of these amenities and therefore I believe would bring about the most fun for the family overall.   Additionally, a playground was located nearby.

I would definitely recommend arriving early if visiting on a weekend or making reservations online to ensure a site at this campground in particular.   The most popular of this lake region, Yarrow, stays booked well into the later portion of summer on weekends and is hit or miss on weekdays.

TIPS:

* Check out the rental shop just outside of the park where you can find anything from a paddle board to a canoe.   Also this is a great place to check in if you are needing a few last minute supplies.

* Make sure to check out park rules at the kiosk before entering, this can be very valuable information especially when crowds are flocking to the area.

Small First Come First Serve Peninsula Camping

One of the smaller camps around the park this only has 6 slots available but the views are available on 3 sides of this peninsula style campground.     Available on a first come first serve basis there are no frills with camping at this location as it is primitive only style camping.

Small RVs or Vans could use this campsite however it really is designed with the tent camper in mind as it has great grassy areas which are semi flat.

Each campsite is equipped with the basics a grill ring and picnic table and there is some shade in the area scattered throughout.    Access to playground and restrooms is very close by so this could easily be a great location for families looking to spend some time at the lake.

The shore line alongside 2 of the 3 sides of this area are rocky and ideal for fishing while there is also a sandy beach which is directly alongside the camp.  When I visited recent rains had forced the lake levels to be very high and this made a portion of the beach submerge below the waters edge but this is not typical.

Prices here are very reasonable at only $13 a night but they do quickly fill during peak season due to the lakes popularity.

TIPS:

• Rent a watercraft from local retailer.   Information on all those which have units is available online or on the kiosk just inside camp.   There are a variety of options ranging from paddle boards to small fishing boats.
  • Take the bike path trail which loops through the park.   This is a great way to have a little fun outdoors away from the lake activities.  The course is pretty well known in Kansas.