Moravia , IDAHO

Most Recent Moravia Camping Reviews
Paved roads

Busy place in the summer. Well used campground with sites close together. The beach is good but not great. All the spaces are paved.

Open in winter but flaky hookups

Swung by here yesterday (late Dec) after calling to confirm hookups were still functional. There was only one hookup spot plowed, and it’s connectivity was not stable. We decided not to stay as our Tesla kept reporting electrical risk every 10 minutes. Not worth the risk to car camp when it’s 18 degrees.

AWESOME CAMPGROUND

Gilmore Campground Farragut State Park, Idaho Lake Pend Oreille

Who Knew?!!

I crossed the Montana / Idaho state line this morning and was pleasantly surprised at the AMAZING scenery . I’m from way over in Kentucky so maybe this is a best kept secret or it’s just not well advertised but NORTHERN IDAHO IS BEAUTIFUL!! I mean, someone says Idaho, I think potatoes/ farmland. So well played Idahoans! I stopped for an overnight at Farragut State Park. The staff was AMAZING! Friendly , informative and took the time to see if there were any cancellations or early departures in the crowded campgrounds. The campgrounds are well laid out in that there are many sites but they are situated in a way that still gives each site space for “stuff”. My site didn’t have a lot of shade but the breeze was enough that it was comfortable all day, temps in the 80’s. We may have hit the end of the mowing cycle or maybe they leave the grass rough cut due to it being dry. Our site was otherwise very well maintained. When I drove in the camp hosts were actually across the lane SWEEPING one of the cement pads clear of gravel. Full hook up, Pit toilets and a few shower houses. The shower house is on the other side of Gilmore CG. The sites over there have older trees and more shade. The general park map is lacking on the hiking trail venue. If you want to hike and in my opinion you do, see about getting a trail map or take a picture at one of the information stands. Even that map was not great, but useable. We took a stroll down through the woods and when we got to Lake Pend Oreille guess what?!! …. IT WAS AMAZING!! If you want a hike along the lake with easy to moderate difficulty 70 along Idlewilde Bay is excellent, it loops around by the parking lots and the shore. Plenty of spots for the dogs to get in and to swim. Once again there are trails coming and going and the trail markings are sometimes confusing but if you have a good sense of direction you’ll be fine.

Bayview, ID is nearby with a laundromat , grocery , etc. On site there is a small museum with the history of the area , a model plane field , a Tree to Tree Adventure Park and of course water activities galore.

Flyfishing get away

A quiet gem back in the woods with a lake perfect for kayaking or flyfishing. No motor boats and just a single trail that is a mile long, it has several generous sized campsites and a porta potty available. It does NOT have running water, but you can always scoot down to South Skookum lake to get water if needed.

Great Beginner Backpacing Trail

We entered the trail from the South Entrance. There’s a lot of trails that criss cross around the trail head entrances (there’s a few places to get on it). There was one steep grade on a sandy hill. We had to cross water (14 inches) which resulted in a pair of wet socks for me (I came prepared)

Unfortunately there was a fire ban when we went about a month ago. I wanted to find huckleberries but they were scorched by the weather.

The camp cites are free but you have to walk or boat in. There were a lot of tents and hammocks when we got there but they (Boy Scouts) arrived to camp after dark and left by boat in the morning.

The only photo I captured was a group photo after arriving back to the trail head location.

The campsites are lake front and the surrounding area has a lot of rotting trees and ferns.

This is a great easygoing backpacking trip suitable for beginners. The trail a through trail! Next time I plan to come in at the north end and hike through to the south end after dropping off a car.

Great for a night (or more if fishing)

We were there mid-week in the off-season and pretty much had the place to ourselves. The sites are close together, but that obviously didn't affect us.

Pretty lake. Good cell service even though its tucked away from the main road. The owner was very nice and helpful.

I wish we were staying longer and we would have rented one of their boats and done some fishing.

Restroom is just an outhouse up the hill a bit, but it was clean.

Picnic table and fire ring, but a burn ban was in effect while we were there. Owner provided a 120 VAC adapter plug for us to connect to 220 service.

Nice stay. Would definitely stop over again sometime.

Convenient, lots of amenities, a bit crowded.

Stayed here for a few days back in June. Since I've been lucky enough to be able to work remotely, I just needed to find a campsite that had cell reception so I could tether my laptop, and this one does (at least on Verizon).

It has a lot more to offer too though, as the lakeside location is pretty great. You can rent paddle boards and head out onto the water. Apparently this is one of the deepest lakes in the country. A local couple that gave us a ride on their boat told us they test submarines in this lake, or at least used to. I love random bits of interesting info like that.

All the standard amenities here, and then some. Restaurant / bar within walking distance.

The only thing that got to be a bit much is how crowded it was. Yes, the campground is large (four different loops in total, if I remember correctly) but still, felt like a zoo sometimes.

Still, if you're looking for easy, don't mind paying and ideally making reservations ahead of time, and can sacrifice some privacy, this will do you very well.

Short but sweet

A small spit of land with 3 fire pits. Beautiful views.

Nice RV digg’s! Great choice for those who like to “Glamp”!

Nice area for RV and camper trailers! Not as many spots for tents but I’ve seen a few on the lower level. Nice long, hot shower’s and nice shower room’s. Two showers per male and female though, which isn’t enough in my opinion. Nice, fancy-ish restaurant at the bottom of the camping grounds right on the big beautiful lake. Awesome views! Sit and eat while you watch the amazing sunsets each night! Spots for boats to pull up at and park. Good swimming beach area. You can have bonfires at night with the big burn barrel down at the front of restaurant’s beach side. A few different beaches along the area. Kind of rocky though so definitely wanna bring swimming shoes or wear flip flops to get in the water! Sam Owens is right next to here in walking distance and is more for tent campers, but they also allow RV campers. Fun place in the summer!

Fun for kids! Tame deer come right up to you!!

This is a nice place to go with the whole fam! It is known for it’s huge friendly deer population!! You will see them everywhere!! Which is fun for out-of-towners! People from the city who don’t get much wildlife action. Also, very amazing views of Lake pend Oreille and the mountains, which surround you. It is down a beautiful peninsula in Hope, Idaho. It has a nice restaurant with a nice outside deck to eat and watch the sunset! People are nice and friendly! Good place to swim! They have burn barrels at the beach by the water that anyone can use to sit and have a nice beachside bonfire! Oh!! And they have firewood you can go and get for free that the staff piles up under a little gazebo thing. .. You can also get a burn barrel and they’ll bring one up to your campsite via golf cart, for free!!! Once a month every few weeks a truck comes around to empty anyone who may wants sewage and water buildup for a fee of $50.00.. They have an excellent shower room, but only two showers for each gender.. So all in all it’s pretty nice!!

Year 2021 Flag