the dyrt
Goldmine, GEORGIA
Most Recent Goldmine Camping Reviews
Family trip...

Really enjoyed camping here with my family. Took our 19, 11, and 4 year old. Tested the trails and enjoyed plenty of scenic views. Will definitely be going back.

In the north Georgia Mountains, land of Many Falls

Unicoi State Park is a large Park in north Georgia. The Park has a Lake, rope courses, a restaurant, lounge and beautiful Lodge. It's 2 miles from Helen Georgia, an Alpine gem nestled in the mountains.

Hiking trails of all levels abound including many with falls destinations.

Great

Good and spacious. Depending of what sites you choose some have water and electricity.. there is a store that sells wood and a diversity of items in case you forgot something (opens until 8). Good trails and views! Well marked so you don’t get lost.

Scout camp ground

We have camped here once so I have not seen the whole park. Be the group Primitive area is great on the left side of the area. The right side has been over used and the ground has washed and the only place to Pitch a tent is on camping pads that are on the small size for a large groups. But all in all the park is well Kept and Bathhouse well Maintain. The park is Very beautiful. Great for large groups.

Clean, friendly and quiet.

Great hiking trails. Beautiful covered bridge.

Close to amazing climbing

I visited this area while on a day off from staffing a sleep away camp in the area. We spent the day doing sport climbing on some of the many amazing rocks in the park and then trekked up to the viewpoint to get a beautiful look at the nearby area. The park is really wonderful and has a whole lot of trails and different areas where you can either set up top rope or lead climbing routes. The campground itself is slightly down the road from where the hiking and climbing is but has amazing amenities and is really well taken care of. The tent sites are large and spaced out though not so private but great if you have a group staying at several different ones. They also have volleyball courts and other fields you can use if you are staying there.

Love!!!

I absolutely loved these primitive campsites and was so bummed when they started to tear them down to make cabins. The campsites are very secluded and right on the lake. The bathrooms are within walking distance and there are also playgrounds, a sand volleyball court, and picnic tables. Make sure to book a few weeks ahead of time if you are camping on a holiday!

alright

its a good place to stay for a few days a lot to see and beautiful views.

amazing!!

some of the greatest views in Georgia! this place is a great place to explore and sight see! surrounded by a small town its great to go and see what the town holds!

Great Weekend Trips

There are 3 trailside primitive campsites that are on a peninsula overlooking Lake Keowee. Although only one of them is considered on the shore, they are all within walking distance (down a little hill) from the shore. But make sure to check the water level; I’ve had to help push boats back into the water a few times and there has also been instances when our canoe floated off when the water rose. Parts of the trail feature waterfalls and overlooks onto the lake which is a great photo opportunity. Apart from hiking in, there is a canoe/kayak ramp available about 1/2 mile to the campsites. There is also a rentable cabin, paved primitive/RV campsites, and a bath house available.

Strenuous but absolutely worth it

The hike was a little more intense than I thought it would be. We took the shorter more direct trail and I definitely recommend taking that one, setting up camp, and then exploring more. Sunsets and sunrises over the lookout points were gorgeous and absolutely worth the trip.

Hiking, fishing & Dillard, GA

Black Rock Mountain SP is Georgia’s highest elevation park. It’s located on the Eastern Continental Divide, in Rabun County, in The Blue Ridge Mountains. The road up into the park is very steep, narrow and winding, so large RVs could have trouble. There are 2 camp loops. The front one is on a hill, sites are small and tight. But, they are in a grove of rhododendrons, which is nice in spring. To get to the 2nd loop you drive along the side of the mountain. These sites are larger, and mostly level. There is a fishing lake, hiking and wildlife. And, there is the Dillard House!

Fall Vacation

The campground is pretty old. That said the showers are warm and there’s a flush toilets, so it beats a straddle trench in Afghan, but not a penthouse master bath in Asheville.

There’s numerous sites, and they are now available online to reserve through recreation.gov.

We stayed on campsite # 11 which abuts against a small creek. Each site has its own grill pit and a grate that swings out over the the Pitt as well.

The campground was probably 80% occupied and seemed like it could be a possible base camp for some hunters. The only bad thing was, there were some loud kids screaming at six in the morning, I came to get solitude so this and the prison style all metal toilet are the only reason I gave it 4 stars.

There was one trail that myself and my better half went down. It was about 3 miles. We just wanted to take it easy, so we didn’t go on the foothills trail about 1 mile or so away on the same road the campground is on. It’s hard to see, but it it has one or two parking spots on a turn off for it. On the way out we saw hikers going in from there so it is probably a popular headway.

All in all we had a great time, the ranger/ host had firewood available for sale (20pieces and some kindling for 10$)would definitely go back, and keep exploring the area for overnights and stay here as a base camp.

Family-friendly with little privacy

Campground is very family-friendly! Definitely a campground to bring your bikes to ride around in. Campground has a small playground and store. Some campsites are way too small, even for people staying in tents; however, changing sites was easy. Issaqueena Falls is a MUST see only 11 minutes from the State Park. Enjoyed our time, met some nice people since campsites were so close. We would go back!

Nice and shady sites

On beautiful Lake Jocassee the campgrounds is close by. Very nice size and very shaded.

Beautiful & quiet

Most every site is on the water and a big discount for seniors with a Golden Eagle National Park Pass.

Awsome camp site in the middle of nowhere

I did not camp here yet. I start my hike here. Have to say I can not wait to camp here. It is a bit of a walk down a rode to get here and saw a Father and son taking there stuff down with a hand truck which is a very good idea. So you can either backpack it in or take a wagon to take your stuff in. Nice sites by the river and lots of secluded sites.

Nice place to stay.

So I came right when the office was closing and the park range was so nice to unlock and boot up her computer to get me a site to camp for the night.. I got a site by the lake which was made definitely made for campers and not for tents. Was hard to find a flat site and ended up sleeping on a small incline. I did not check out much of the park since it was dark and I got up early In the morning to hit the smokies but from what I seen the park is very beautiful and I will come back. Also visit the lake a dusk to watch the bats.

The hike to the lake is worth it if you go early and stay all day.

There is a short path from the camp sites down to the lake. If you want to go swimming there are only a couple of locations that you can hang out for the day and swim. If you want one of these make sure to get there early. There is not a true boat ramp here either, we saw several people that came with power boats trying to launch and the ramp here is more suitable for kayaks and canoes.

Not a ton of separation from other campgrounds

As another reviewer stated, there is not a ton of separation from other sites, but this is a great campground. Some sites were closed while we were there because the forest service was going through and trimming dead limbs that were overhanging.

Squirrel's Nest was very different

We stayed in the squirrel's nest area during Oktoberfest in Helen, and it was a great experience. Remember that you won't have a ton of privacy there, but you can have a pretty big group.

Highest State Park in Georgia

This was an awesome campground experience, but it fills up quickly for spring break. We made reservations two months in advance, and when we arrived there are only 4 designated tent camping spots. We ending up pitching our tent in a RV spot. Fire wood is available for sale from the ranger, but you have to make sure of their hours. When we were there they are closed on Sundays.

Nearby equestrian trails

It is a very family friendly site that is always a favorite. The lake isn’t the cleanest but it’s great for boating, kayaking, and paddle boarding. The biggest plus for me is that it is a short distance from Fants Grove and T Ed Garrison arena. During rodeos held at the Garrison arena we often take breaks to Fants Grove for the wonderful horse friendly trails on Lake Hartwell. As far as I know no facility offers over night horse boarding at this site which is a shame.

Toccoa falls

Spent 4 nights here for a family vacation. It unfortunately rained half the time but it was still an amazing trip. Clean nearby lake, perfect for kayaking, paddle boarding, and boating. Plus it’s near the wonderful Toccoa waterfall.

Lake Camping

Camping on beautiful Lake Keowee in Six Mile SC. Large sites, most with lake views and many sites on the water. Sites have fire ring and picnic table, most sites are shaded. Boat ramp, picnic area, 2 playgrounds for the kids, clean facilities with showers.

Mountain Miri le

Whether you are in your tent or your RV or in a cabin , Unicoi will take your breath away. Perched on the side of the beautiful Georgia mountains, I feel as if you're 1,000,000 miles away from the madness. But indeed, you're just an hour and a half north of the major metropolitan area of Atlanta. Trails, waterfalls, wildlife, & unlimited amazement !

Unicoi, great for the trails, great for your family, and great for a piece that goes beyond what you can imagine

beautiful

this campground was really nice, had water and power hook ups as well as some sites had sewer hookups.

the hiking at this park is was really set it apart though the gorge hike was absolutely beautiful and very much worth the stairs going down and back up.

small but pleasing

this campground is very kid friendly. they have a stream they stock with trout for kids 12 and under and seniors 65 and older. this park is a great place to allow kids to get into fishing and feel like they have accomplished something. the wildlife here is also beautiful and very abundant.

relaxing

this is a great campground and super peaceful to be at great travel travelers spots and water and power hook ups and sites. the falls is also a great view to see.

primitive

this place was a great place for fishing, exploring and hiking, great place to back pack into and tent camp.