Yurts
About Estes Park KOA

At 7,500 feet, this campground is an ideal base camp for exploring the town of Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park.

Tent and RV sites.

Fee Info
Adults 18+, Kids 6-17, Free 0-5
Private
Estes Park KOA is located in Colorado
Directions
1.5 miles east of downtown Estes Park on the north side of highway 34 across from the east end of Lake Estes.
15 Reviews of Estes Park KOA
Friendly, Clean, and Accomodating

This was our first stay in Estes Park, and we couldn't be happier with the KOA facilities and staff.

The staff were *extremely* helpful and welcoming. We didn't feel the "Oh, God… another tourist" vibes we got from basically everyone else in Colorado. On the contrary, they couldn't have been happier to see us and welcome us to their little city. They even gave us personal directions and recommendations for what to do in Estes Park. Moreover, we decided to leave a night early, and they completely refunded our last night's stay without hesitation.

The facilities are excellent. There are combo shower/bathroom stations throughout the campground so you never have to walk far to clean up. These stations also have dish washing sinks, and the the campground provided free dish soap and one of those nice soaping-dispensing sponges. The fire rings are dual purpose, as well--with space for a regular bonfire and then an attached 1' x 2' section with a grill for cooking.

The only thing I didn't like about the campground was how close it was to one of the main thoroughfares, but that's not uncommon with KOA's, so it didn't bother me that much.

Decent

Decent campground. Showers, bathrooms, laundry available. More “glamping” than camping

Great Proximity Comes At A Prince

When visiting Estes Park if you are wanting to be close to all the action the KOA of Estes Park is the place to be.    Offering a midsized tent section, a large close together RV section and several cabins to provide the perfect retreat for those visiting the location is within walking distance of the lake and within a short drive of some of the best attractions of the area including the Stanley Hotel, hiking at Lily Lake or Long’s Peak and the entrance of Rocky Mountain National Park.

I found this campground to be well organized, although it was less remote and did not feel like as much of a mountain retreat as many of the outlying camps of the area.     The tent area seemed a bit less bustling than the RV section as there was a bit of green space versus the sandy and clay landscape of the RV and cabin area.

Something that really drew me into this campground was the deck spaces which offered elevated viewing of the surrounding.   It was a really interesting component which allows you to see a much larger range than the camp itself and created a unique setting for enjoying the mountain breeze on a hot day or gave a nice view of the stars at night.

This location epitomizes the idea of KOA campgrounds offering elevated services such as WIFI, Cable TV connections and a dog park.     In addition there is a store which offers a variety of items including propane and firewood.

Since I am a tent camper I really wanted to explore more of the tent area than other areas of the park.  I noticed they had both water and electric sites and electric only sites.    Each of these accommodate up to 6 people, although I would say that would make me feel a bit to crowded.     The tent camps also allow small vans or pop ups in this area.

But here is the BIG KICKER…. The Price!!

Staying in Estes Park and being so close to everything comes at a HUGE price point.   To have all the amazing amenities you will pay $53 or $58 for a tent site.    To me this is WAY above budget and while it is a prime location the price point is not within reason for me personally.    You can stay inside Rocky Mountain National Park at a price point that is half that of this park.   You are paying here to be in the community for sure and have the access to the local shops and restaurants.

One special feature that comes along with staying in the area but is not included in the price is one of the best features, the wildlife!    It is known that the most likely reason for a traffic jam in Estes Park comes from the elk and Moose in the area randomly hanging out in public spaces.    It is not uncommon for them to roam into camp and make their presence known grazing around on any green space they can find.   A stay here is a chance with an encounter of something which cannot be purchased in a price point.

Well Managed

We have stayed here 3 or 4 times due to the close proximity to Rocky Mountain National Park.  The campground is extremely well managed, clean and well maintained.  The staff are extremely helpful and attentive.

The downside of the location is that it is just down the road from a riding stable.  As a result, the campground is frequently filled with the smell of horse manure.  Another downfall is that the location is right on a fairly busy road into Estes.

The views are gorgeous though and we like the location.  We would definitely stay here again.

Very well taken care of, yet not super outdoorsy feeling due to location

The main building has a little of everything you need - from camping supplies to s'more making supplies. The tent camping sites are kind of close to one another, but you get your picnic table and fire ring.

Great location

great location right near most attractions in Estes park. Inexpensive. They gave showering/bathroom facilities. There’s is a store for your camping essentials. Fire pits, great view of the mountains. Campsites are very close to each other. Laundry also is on site.

Spectacular

Breathe taking

A repeat vacation

On a cross country today trip these were the nicest camping cabins we stayed in. The campground itself is relatively small but with a nice playground and camp store as well as bathroom facilities. You can't beat the view, people and the easy location to go into the downtown. We only had one night here but plan to make a week long trip to the area at another time we liked it so much.

Small, cozy, good location KOA

Small, cozy, good location KOA about 25 minutes from the main entrance to Rocky Mountain National Park. We had a very pretty site, but the tent pad was so hard it was almost impossible for my hulk of a husband to stake the tent down (there were huge roots growing through it!). However, KOAs are always great for a road weary family in need of a game room, showers, and flushing toilets!

Clean but a bit too close for comfort

I can't give any KOA a 5 star. It's the extreme of glamping. The only reason we stayed here cause my husband was running a marathon and hotels were booked and other camp grounds were booked. This was our last option. The people were amazing, the bathrooms super clean, lots to do for families with kids. But like I said it's just about too close to other campers. But you can see the mountains, enjoy the fresh air and go else where to have your mountain outdoor fun! :)