About Elk Creek Campground

Elk Creek Campground is on the north shore of Blue Mesa Reservoir. The lake is Colorado's largest body of water with 96 miles of shoreline and the largest Kokanee Salmon fishery in the United States.

The campground is part of the Curecanti National Recreation Area, which was named after a Ute Indian chief of the mid-19th century.

Recreation

Anglers delight in catching large salmon and rainbow trout, while water sports fans find excitement in windsurfing and water skiing.

Swimming is permitted throughout the 20-mile long reservoir and birders can find bald eagles here in the winter.

Facilities

Campfire programs are in full swing during the summer months. There's a marina adjacent to the campground that's open late spring to early fall. Concession run coin operated showers are nearby, open during summer months.. Cell phone service is limited. Electric hookups are in Loop D only.

Natural Features

At an altitude of 7,540 feet, Elk Creek is surrounded by a vast expanse of sagebrush. Trees are minimal because the reservoir gets less than 12 inches of rain a year.

Curecanti National Recreation Area is sandwiched between the towns of Montrose and Gunnison, Colorado. It spans three reservoirs, named for corresponding dams on the Gunnison River. These include the Crystal Reservoir, Morrow Point Reservoir and Blue Mesa.

Nearby Attractions

Head down to the Gunnison Diversion Tunnel, a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark or visit the Morrow Point Reservoir at the beginning of the Black Canyon.

At morrow point, visitors can take a ranger-led pontoon boat through the upper Black Canyon. Find more tour information here.

ADA Access: N

Sites
Fee Info
There is an additional $6 electricity attribute fee for Standard Electric sites.
Price
$16.00 - $22.00
National Park Service
Elk Creek Campground is located in Colorado
Directions
Elk Creek is located off of US Hwy 50 between Gunnison and Montrose, along Blue Mesa reservoir.
5 Reviews of Elk Creek Campground
Love!!

We have stayed her a few times!! I love this place it’s amazing to SUP at. It can be alittle windy so if you have a canopy just drop it at night. You have to walk into the camp spots but it’s not bad. Will definitely be back!!

Great place to camp to explore this area of Colorado.

I had a fun and enjoyable trip to this campground, but be aware there are little to no trees or shade. Summer trips get hot, so a canopy is needed for shade. Most sites are close enough to the water to walk down to the reservoir but there was also plenty of parking spaces. I had consistent cell service for both phone service and 4g. I did several trips into Gunnison and Crested Butte for hiking and exploration. Great place to camp to explore this area of Colorado.

Views & Spectacular Wildlife

I drove through this area looking for something a little different in the slow pace tour I was taking of Colorado. I kept seeing these amazing views off the side of the road with this beautiful water and it drew me to the Elk Creek Campground. A lot of the areas campgrounds had closed for the season in way of tent camping and mostly only RV areas were still accessible, however this one was welcoming me with open arms as I looked forward to a fall Colorado experience.

It is more than a little removed feeling from the rest of the world around you. I had just passed through several communities with bustling populations but I couldn't have felt further away as I set up for the evening. While I wasn't far from civilization the sites and the woods around them offered retreat from all of that.

Wifi availability reminded me I wasn't completely out in the middle of nowhere, lol.

I was pleased to that night see a moose roaming near camp, it was a first and very cool!!

The campsites themselves were pretty standard, but the view was nothing standard it was amazingly unique.

The next day I was close enough to take the hike I had been wanting to take at Hanging Lake and before I left out for my day the attendant had more than a few very useful tips for my hike, which I was very happy I had been given!!

Not really roughing it, but the wildlife was amazing!

This campground has tent and everything sites. The sites are fairly close to one another, but there is still a feeling of being further away than you really are. There are wonderful facilities (showers and flush toilets) if that is a benefit to your camping style. This campground is very close (drive) to 2 lakes that afford fishing, boating, kayaking etc. The highlight for us was the wildlife. We saw Moose everyday (stayed here over Memorial Day weekend). The moose did not bother anyone, were not aggressive, merely wanted to nibble on all the willow in the area.

Spring Camping

Stayed at elk creek campground. Full for the weekend. Only one loop is electric. No water at dump station due a problem was inconvenient.