The best GROUP camping near
Ocotillo , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Ocotillo Camping Reviews
“The last resort”

Interesting area, very artistic fallout apoliptic feel. This is a free dispersed area off the access dike of Bombay Beach along the Salton sea. This place is a man made disaster ghost town that has been mostly abandon with everything else that went to the wayside of the Salton sea situation. Bombay beach has become an art creating place with lots of installments and really interesting creations of art. Would highly recommend checking it out even if it is just a day trip. There was two RVs on the beach when I was last there. Not sure how safe this place is, has a slab city vibe and not far from slab city. I would definitely stay here over slab city. Not sure how the locals feel about RVs camping out on the beach of Bombay. Definitely check out the art surrounding all the homes of Bombay. Nothing else like it. Feels like freedom in a post apocalyptic society. I like that it has become a place for artists. All the people I talked to there were friendly.

24 hrs in the SLABS

Ok I went here hoping to spend more than 24 hrs and explore and what not but I stuck out like a sore thumb with a military truck and decent travel trailer. Theirs TOOO much need in this community (comparable to skid row if your familiar but in the desert) This is more than just DISPERSED camping where you pull over and kick back. Its literally survival at all times because that’s what THEY are doing in the desert. I could not sleep with all the evening noises and people tweaking/high on something walking around. That all said Salvation Mountain is pretty amazing and safe due to its state protected and at entrance into the Slabs so it’s well traveled. So much LOVE went into it. Do drive around the outskirts of the slabs some too and you’ll find plenty of random desert art that Slabs City is known for.

Super easy, free, and fun!

We rolled in after dark and found a spot super easy that was secluded and perfect for tent camping. We had a nice hike in the morning before heading back to Julian for pie :)

Amazing scenery and plenty of free camp sites

We are novice campers - didn't have sand tent pegs so with a little wind on the day we arrived it took some time to find the right site for us which really was only after the wind died down after 4pm. Picture a few frustrated moments here while wind picked up tent and wife….. :)

Lesson learned, take sand capable tent pegs and set up site later in the day and not on a nice hill.

Once the wind died down we found a site and settled in for a lovely night.

Awesome caves and walking around the area. Spectacular must do trip when around the area.

Not Much to Do here

The campground area was closed due to Covid, but the park areas were open for day use. It was a nice place to visit and take some scenic pictures, but not much else to do there.

One of the best places

I’ve always loved going to Ocotillo because of the views and the people great for kids and big enough to be by yourself.

Perfect

Typical back of the woods campsite. Perfect spot for large gatherings! We stayed out here with a group of 20 people, it was perfect for us.

Wasn’t closed when we went

It was open when we drove by and no signs saying it was closed. We drove around and had fun in a large dirt lot with our crew. It was a good lunch spot.

Great Camping, beautiful scenery, easy to get to.

We spent 5 days here in mid November M-F. We brought our tiny travel trailer (13 ft) and dog. The campground was nice and relatively empty during the week, and started to fill up on the Friday when we left. We were on site 68 which was convenient to the restrooms, trails, and had very pretty views to the rear of the campsite.

The site was relatively easy to back into for a newbie like me, and did need about 4-5 inches of leveling blocks on one side. On the side of the driveway is about 3 ft x 3 ft grating for drainage that dips about 6-8 inches below grade that we dubbed "the tank trap". I was worried about it because of my low clearance on the trailer, but we were able to avoid it on the way in and out.

Because of the way this site is organized, there was not a great deal of room by the trailers front door. I could see that being a bummer for people who would want to use their awning on the right hand side of the trailer. However we use a pop-up shade, so we just set it up to the left side of the trailer.

Julian is about 25 min away and is a fun place to visit and have lunch or dinner, and the Wolf rescue nearby would be a neat place to visit if we were not traveling with a dog. We also drove the nearby Sunrise Highway for a ways for some beautiful views down into Anza-Borrego.

Other sites that looked nice and level for a small trailer, easy to back into,  and had pretty views where sites #52 & #35

It should be noted that there are no water, sewer nor electrical hookups at this campsite (as stated on their website). There is a pumpout station near the entrance that can be used for $10. My freshwater tank is a 7 gallon jug that I filled at the nearby water faucet (water is very sweet here).

Perfect for group sites. There’s an endless plethora of campsites. It will never be full.