Standard (Tent/RV)
Equestrian
About Cuyamaca Rancho/Paso Picacho Campground

10/19/2020 Please visit website for current restrictions due to COVID

Each campsite has a picnic table and a fire ring. Restrooms with flush toilets and pay showers are in the campground. Water faucets a located every few campsites. There are no hookups. Each campground has a dump station. Firewood and ice may be purchased at the camps. Interpretive programs are offered during the summer season. Campsites are $30 per night. Reservations are necessary for weekends April through October. The camping fee includes one motorized vehicle. Extra vehicles are $10 per night. There is a limit of 8 persons per campsite. Dogs are allowed but are restricted to the campgrounds, picnic areas, and paved roads and Cuyamaca Peak Fire Road. They may not be left unattended. Reservations may be made through ReserveCaliforniaTM at 1-800-444-PARK.

Environmental backpack in or horseback ride in camps are also available. Granite Springs and Arroyo Seco Environmental camps are open on first come, first serve. Both have chemical toilets, non-potable water, corrals and tent sites.

Price
No Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 25 ft.
Cuyamaca Rancho/Paso Picacho Campground is located in California
Directions
East of San Diego, the park is on Highway 79, five miles north of I-8.
21 Reviews of Cuyamaca Rancho/Paso Picacho Campground
Great Camping, beautiful scenery, easy to get to.

We spent 5 days here in mid November M-F. We brought our tiny travel trailer (13 ft) and dog. The campground was nice and relatively empty during the week, and started to fill up on the Friday when we left. We were on site 68 which was convenient to the restrooms, trails, and had very pretty views to the rear of the campsite.

The site was relatively easy to back into for a newbie like me, and did need about 4-5 inches of leveling blocks on one side. On the side of the driveway is about 3 ft x 3 ft grating for drainage that dips about 6-8 inches below grade that we dubbed "the tank trap". I was worried about it because of my low clearance on the trailer, but we were able to avoid it on the way in and out.

Because of the way this site is organized, there was not a great deal of room by the trailers front door. I could see that being a bummer for people who would want to use their awning on the right hand side of the trailer. However we use a pop-up shade, so we just set it up to the left side of the trailer.

Julian is about 25 min away and is a fun place to visit and have lunch or dinner, and the Wolf rescue nearby would be a neat place to visit if we were not traveling with a dog. We also drove the nearby Sunrise Highway for a ways for some beautiful views down into Anza-Borrego.

Other sites that looked nice and level for a small trailer, easy to back into,  and had pretty views where sites #52 & #35

It should be noted that there are no water, sewer nor electrical hookups at this campsite (as stated on their website). There is a pumpout station near the entrance that can be used for $10. My freshwater tank is a 7 gallon jug that I filled at the nearby water faucet (water is very sweet here).

Not for me

I stayed at the Pasa Picacho part of the park. It started out great, as 2 deer ran in front of me pulling in. When I first booked it, I planned on having working solar, but I’m still having issues. No hookups at all, and I didn’t want to cancel, but in hind site I should have, since I forgot to fill my fresh water tank. The space they gave me is only a couple feet wider then rig, and it’s on a corner. I tried to park it, and tried again, before I rode around and tried again. This time I got it. Then I take a walk around with my dog and see these huge sites sitting there empty! Plus there was no Ranger when I arrived, and haven’t seen one riding around. My stay is being cut short anyway, because the solar guy gets it this weekend. I’m sure it’s beautiful here, but I didn’t come in the right frame of mind. Would definitely be back at a larger site. They have restroom/showers around, and water on spigots around the campground.

Close to SD

Stayed here in mid August, and it was warm during the day but surprisingly not too hot. Nights were comfortable. The hosts were great, bathrooms were clean, and the site had a fire pit & picnic table. Lots of hikes nearby too. We did find a scorpion under one tent, so keep an eye out for visitors!

Perfect San Diego get away

Lovely campground, lots of shaded spots. We came during the week and essentially had the place to ourselves. Short walk to Stonewall Peak trailhead. 15 minute drive to Green Valley Falls. Nice amenities: coin showers, individual bathrooms. Tons of cool birds to watch.

Solid campground

This place is a good campground but the sites are to close together. A few hiking trails in the area but the best option is a 30 minute drive to a 3 pool gorge that you can swim and frolick in.

Great spot to camp, noisy neighbors.

This camping site is great, clean, beautiful and spacious. Only complaint is quiet hours were not enforced. Me and my buddies took a trip here to relax on our first day off work in weeks. Couldn’t sleep or hear each other with the amount of noise and music the neighbors created. Other than that the trails were beautiful and there are spots to swim within the water falls.

Love it... Great tent camping!

Love it… I’ve been camping there since the 1990’s… the camp sites are great… lots of room on your sites, trees, hiking, beautiful. I have camped other places but this is my favorite.

Nice Place

Didn’t know that this type of camping (actual woods) existed this close to San Diego. Located under stonewall peak south of Julian; this campground is close to Lake Cuyamaca, hiking and plenty of mountain biking. Flushable toilets and showers were clean. Our site had a running water spigot. There are reservations on recreation.gov but we just showed up and paid via the iron ranger (envelope drop box). Any site on on the board at the entrance station was fair game when we arrived. The rangers update the board daily depending on the online reservations. Will definitely stay again in the future! Our site was #41.

Don’t come here

This review is very late but I just found this app. We went here in april 2017 to find a very eirie and secluded campground. There was nobody around and it just felt creepy. Later that night we heard screaming in the forest. Blood curdling screams from a woman off in the distance. We packed up and left in under a few minutes and found that somebody had closed the entry gate from vehicle traffic where the unmanned ranger booth was. Very bad experience and I am somebody who has been camping my whole life. Wouldn’t recommend. Super creepy area.

Worth a visit

We've stayed at the sister campground, Green Valley, a few times and always enjoyed it. This one was similar and equally nice. Decently maintained, good sites, and a nice remote location.

Some of the sites are not level though, so be careful choosing.

We also liked that we could do the Stonewall Peak hike from the campground without having to drive anywhere.

Year 2021 Flag