The best BOAT IN camping near
Ocotillo , CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Ocotillo Camping Reviews
Nice

The customer service is great and the people deem safety as a priority. This place is beautiful.

Great campsite, easily accessible

I loved how accessible this campsite was, especially if you're coming from San Diego. Our site had electricity and water, a fire pit, and a picnic table. There were plenty of sites to go around. The rangers were helpful and the facilities were very well maintained. You can buy firewood from the front entrance or get some from the local general store down the street. There were coin operated showers available and bathrooms at each end of the campground. It did get pretty hot during the day, so I would bring a canopy if you have one. My boyfriend and I hit the trails in the afternoon and at night. We saw wild turkeys and the stars were endless. Overall, I loved staying here. This was a perfect escape from the madness going on right now.

Fun times

We had a fun time here staying local but far enough to feel like we went away!

Not worth the price.

Watch your children that like yo play on the ground. There are fire ants everywhere and the yellow jackets would swarm every time there was food. The water pressure was at the highest 40psi and at times would go down to 0. The electric also would surge causing my LED lights to flicker.

Peaceful and family friendly campsite

Beautiful and peaceful place to camp around the lake. We were at the Westshore campsite, which seemed for me the best ( the two others are lone pines for RV and tents and Chambers for tents and cabins) Westshore has a dozen campsites with direct lake view (not allowed to swim in the lake though). Picnic table and barbecue available for each site and additional picnic tables around the lake. The sites are separated by walls for more privacy. Bathrooms available near the parking maybe 100m near the campsites. No showers though. There's a nice restaurant with a lake view. There's also a mini market shop and a bait shop. Boat rental available, but all reserved already in the morning though. I think a lot of people come fishing for the day.

We had campsite #49 which is not the best one, because we only had one wall separating us from the other campers, instead of two walls. So we had the sun directly hitting on us early morning whilst the others were still in the shade. So if you can choose, I wouldn't recommend the #49. The other sites are fine.

Well-kept campground

The Lake Morena campground is well-kept and relaxing. It has a variety of sites including full-hookup, partial hookup, and tent only. The restrooms (flush toilets) are located in the middle of the grounds. They were large and clean and usually well-stocked with toilet paper, soap, and paper towels. There were also two shower stalls on each side (men’s/women’s) which took quarters. At the time of our stay, one of the women’s showers was not accepting any quarters and wasn’t working. The other one had a pretty badly clogged drain, but was still usable. Many sites have a partial view of the lake. One highlight of the campground is all of the birds! We saw woodpeckers, cowbirds, bright yellow orioles (?), wild turkeys, and several other species right by our campsite. Our tent-only site(#75) was huge! Plenty of space for multiple tents and 2 cars, though it really only had shade in the afternoon. My one complaint is that the main hiking trail by the lake (Morena Lake Trail) was way longer than the map said and you couldn’t see the dam from the end! From campsite #1 to the end of the trail and back was 5.9 miles! Beware! All in all, we really liked this campground and would come back again. It would be really great for a group and there’s even an indoor pavilion you can rent.

Clean & great for families

We visit this site a few times a year. Always clean, plenty of shade at most sites. Pic is view from spot 80.

Hike the PCT from Lake Morena

The campground at Lake Morena has around 80+ spots that range from hookups for RV to basic tent camping. There's a indoor entertainment room and multiple bathrooms. The campground is not located right on the lake but a 15min walk away. The cell service is roaming but was decent; around 500kb download. The PCT goes thru the campground and there's an area designated for thru hikers camping. The campground can get crowded during the weekend. The adjacent town has a small store.

Great off-the-grid park

Lovely park, where you can truly check out. No cell service other then AT&T, no over the air TV, no over the air radio. Sirius works great. I would stay here again. Love it.

Our fist stop while hiking the PCT

Our fist stop while hiking the PCT They have showers local food is great Through hikers camp for a small fee