the dyrt
Modoc National Forest, CALIFORNIA
Most Recent Modoc National Forest Camping Reviews
Family fun

we loved this campground! You have options of no hiking and enjoying some spectacular views or short hikes to see even more spectacular views! So even my kids enjoyed the hiking! The staff was so kind and the store is away from the camping by a short walk. Close enough but not to close! Absolutely loved this place for family camping.

Cabins though were not what we expected. 2 room cabin and we got 2 bunk beds and a space heater. Nothing in front room. Bring your table and chairs. Bunk beds were comfortable though!

Holy waterfall

Had a wonderful visit. No hookups. So only dry rv camping. Hike around the lake and even made my own trails.

Great Campground

Great campground at the center of the monument.  Really close to the visitor’s center and the entrances to some of the more popular lava tubes.  Only downside is that it is first come first serve, so get there early!

Hidden Gem

This is a wonderful out-the-way spot near Bray, a one house town that is more of a junkyard than town. Ignore it. A mile there are 6 lakeside spots which are perfect for small RVs or tents and 4 more “group” spots on the north side of the lake. Very peaceful and secluded on the shore of a small lily pad covered lake. There are 3-4 small docks but the boating is limited because of the lily pads. Great swimming and fishing though! There’s no water, sewer or electric hook-up so you RV’rs will be boondocking. the Outhouses were the cleanest I’ve ever seen and there are dumpsters and recycle bins.

Bucket List Waterfall

This is a very easy camping site for beginners. Lots of great trails, and the most incredible cliff-like waterfall, with the water not just coming over the top, but shooting out of cracks all long the rock face. There is a store on site with a decent selection of camping and convenience store items, and firewood is for sale at the gate. Amazing caving nearby too.

Flat, easy, drive-in campsites near Mount Shasta

This was a great, quiet collection of sites under tall pines. Not far from McCloud and Weed, and easy access to Medicine Lake and other recreation areas are nearby.

Sacred Quiet Lake

I visited in September of 2017, and it was not too crowded. It is unbelievably peaceful and quiet. Plenty of fallen wood to collect for fires, and by September it does get very cold at night - our water froze, and it was super cold in the tent. Very close to good caving at Lava Beds, and lots to explore in Modoc County.

Great spring camping

We enjoy this site for family camping. Fishing, swimming, and walking trails. Nice showers. Not very much privacy.

Camping with people

This is a great campground but you are right on top of each other. Spots are close but it's worth it for the views and hiking.

Tent and cabin campground near falls and lake!

Has tents and cabin lodging. Flushable toilets with showers. Small store with limited items located in campground. 2 min from Burney falls or small beach on nearby lake. Campground is about 20-30 I’m away from Burney city where there is gas and a Safeway.

Primitive

Not far from Cederville on 299 towards Alturas you can find a DNR campground at Stough Reservoir. The road is 2+ miles of dirt - gravel to the CG.

The campground is sparse and lacks flushing toilets, pit toilet is available. Check the area sign for fire restrictions or warnings of large animals in the area. Keep your food locked up or hanging in a tree.

Close to the falls

Camped at Pioneer Camp in August, 2017. Nice campground under the pine trees even though it was full and a little crowded at that time. Some sites are close so music from neighboring site(s) can be heard. A picnic table, a fire ring and a little storage box are available at each site. Restrooms and showers were nice and clean. Since a store is so close, it is very convenient if you forget anything or just want to get food quick and easy. The falls itself is also so close to the campground so you could just hike/walk to explore. We stayed there only one night, but would love to go back and explore more around this place.

Clean and serene!

This is a great camping spot next to a small lake! The sites are perfect, both single use and group use. The picnic tables and fire pits are near perfect, almost brand new, and the bathrooms are immaculate! The entire area is kept up extremely well. The lake is a great spot to do some fishing from either the small docks of from a non motorized boat. A bald eagle has a nest at this site which is pretty awesome as well. One warning, the bull frogs go all night long! I recommend driving the forestry road to the top of Mt Orr, there is a service lookout tower up there but the guy I ran into was very nice and had no problem with me checking out the amazing view, I highly recommend it!

Crowded but worth it.

Campsites are pretty close and get get pretty busy. But the waterfall is a short walking distance, and Lake Britton is in the park as well. We did have a good campsite backed up to the cliff.

Best campground at the Kern

By far the best campground there. The river front campsites are awesome and have a great size. There's plenty of shade (which is rare for the area), and the section of river is so fun.

Cozy & convenient campground

Separated from the highway by a nice buffer of trees and the creek. This little campground has all the basics- tables, fire pits, grills, garbage cans, vault toilets. The surroundings are nice and the stars are bright. Nice stop to rest for the night when traveling through.

Nice spot next to Lake Britton

Pit toilets available. There are a few level spots for camp trailers. Right next to the lake with a little beach available. A favored local spot.

Great Spot!

Dry Camp with pit toilets. No designated campsites, find a fire ring and make your spot. Beautiful spot, watch out for the cows!

Great Spot!

My husband and I took a quick trip to North Eastern California for some rock hounding. We came upon this campground toward the end of the evening. It's a dry camp ground with pit toilets. The best part was that there were not designated camp sites - find a fire ring, and camp away. Our nearest neighbor was well over 200 yards away. It was a great spot and perfect for 4th of July weekend. We will definitely be returning to this location!

Spellbinding, get away from it all

Large campground, back sites back into wooded away so sites are unofficially almost 2x as big, some new bathrooms & showers, smoothly paved roads, moderate strenuous hiking access to nearby lake, mini cabins, tent or RV camping, the Falls are spectacular but water is VERY cold. Fairly steep hike down to Falls, not very handicap friendly but there are a few overlooks, nice camp store where you can get cell service. Really loved camping here for 5 days. Lace tubes about 20min drive. Don't miss!

On the water

I last minute drove up to the Redding and Burney area to hike and see spring waterfalls in the area. I wanted a quieter campsite to relax at so Dusty was just right. It’s right on the water and soo pretty and relaxing. Each site had a fire pit which was nice though I didn’t use because I was by myself. There was also a picnic table at each site. The bathrooms were pit toilets and well the usual camp bathrooms. The campground is right down the road from Burney Falls so I woke up early and got there before the crowds arrived! The drives in the area are absolutely gorgeous! Another perk of this campground is the railroad/bridge that was featured in the old movie Stand By Me is walking distance from the campsites - it‘s closed off and no longer in use but cool to check out!

Nice clean campground for first come first serve folks

This is a nice clean quiet campground with lots of activities available nearby. I could not get a reservation at the Fowlers Campground but this one was almost empty. Only problem is the Highway is pretty close and the road noise can be a distraction.

Beautiful place, clean simple campground

clean pit toilets. camp host kept things tip top even sweeping between campers. lots of trees. about a 15 minute walk to the most beautiful swimming hole or you can drive in about two minutes. deer walking through. low yellow jackets in mid June. we usually camp nearby at Fowler’s. it was full so this was our first time at this backup camp. thought it was great. fishing was slow which isn’t the case closer to Fowler’s usually.

Never did I know something this magnificent was around!

I’ve always been star struck with Mount Shasta. I never saw the beauty of the surroundings. McArthur Park is an easy stop and a fun walk. Bring a jacket. You’llget wet walking that path!

Stunning falls

The Falls are spectacular and easy to access. The campground is not my style--there is a general store, lots of RV camping and ground workers circling in golf carts. They pulled up at our site as it neared check out time and asked if we were almost done. But with that said, it's clean, family friendly, very comfy camping…if that's your thing.

Burney Falls

There are many camp sites here, all with a fire pit, small cabinet (think just for storage, no way are they bear proof). Camp firewood is available for purchase on site. I think the best thing about this camp site is that it is located so close to Burney falls as well as many other trails (including the Pacific Crest trail).

Mama shasta

Very spiritual to be so close to the mountain

Wonderful Burney Falls

Nice campground though it can be very crowded. If you have kids it's perfect, close to the lake with a beach area, and activities are offered by the park staff. You can hike or drive to the lake, and of the waterfall, which is easily accessible, is simply beautiful. Watch for black swifts by day, and big eared bats at night by the waterfall. Last time I went, there was an Osprey nest at the falls. The park has a nice visitor center and small store. Sites have a picnic table, food locker, fire ring, there are showers, flush toilets and water. The sites are nice sized and mostly level.

A suggestion if you want to skip the crowds - I've gone in the off season when a smaller section of the campground is open. It is cold at night – but you could hear the waterfall all night – best sleep ever! In the evening I had the waterfall all to myself (bring a bottle of wine)! I saw only two other people there in the morning. There are also cabins that looked nice.

Check out McCloud falls while in the area, it's a nice hike to three different falls. Note, the PCT goes through here if that is of interest to you.

A lot of feral horses

We have visited Big Sage a number of times and it used to be a nice little campground set on the shores of Big Sage Reservoir. We have caught largemouth bass and crappie in the reservoir by the campground and we have launched our small boat and fished the upper reaches. Sadly, in the last few years feral horses have shown up and they are tearing up the campground and they are aggressive. There is horse manure everywhere.