Long Beach, CALIFORNIA

Most Recent Long Beach Camping Reviews
Quiet. Solitude.

Great primitive campsites. Need sturdy vehicle to get there. Quiet area with very little traffic. Stayed on a Sunday night and we were the only ones in the camp. Fantastic hiking up a nearby creek.

Not for those seeking quiet and seclusion

Easy to get to, but fills up VERY fast. Open spaces for large group camping. Fire pits at every campground and easy to walk to hiking trail. Most of the people camping there played loud music all night. Not exactly a get away from the city.

Awesome location no privacy

This campground is cool because you can literally take a bus to it. It is right outside of Avalon and walking distance to everything. This is where the TCT begins.

Lovely little campground

This is a hike in campground that has stoves and a creek running through. The sites are nicely spaced and there is plenty of shade. Perfect little backpacking trip.

Glorified parking lot

This campground has a great location but has absolutely no privacy

Location is rare

If you have the opportunity to stay here, please do! Its not too common to be able to camp this close to the water! The sites lack privacy but are perfect for RVs and trailers

Location is great, sites are meh

The location is obviously great but the sites are on top of each other. No privacy and are definitely built for RVs and Trailers

Typical Beach Campground

Much like most California Beach Campgrounds, it is very crowded with little privacy. The beach is great but it is basically a glorified parking lot

1st Campground on TCT

We were only there for one night and arrived at Dusk. Its not the best campground but it had water and a bathroom, it did its job but it isnt somewhere I would use a destination

Secluded but easily accessible

When I lived in San Clemente, this was a great campground just to get away! This campground can get rowdy because it is so easily accessible but nothing too crazy! Great views especially at sunset!

Walk to Trestles

San Mateo is one of the better beach campgrounds in California, some sites have some great privacy. Of course it can get very crowded and a bit noisy but thats to be expected with trestles in walking distance! Its also very cool to be right next to the military base, and if you are lucky you can hear mortars at night!

Quiet and Close By

Whenever I need to get away from LALA Land, I head up here.  I grew up in the mountains of western Pennsylvania, so , sometimes , I need to kick back and recharge. Sort of going back to factory settings, as it were.

There are lots of cool spots up here and plenty of quiet.  Whether you like to hike, or fish or just kick back, this is a nice little hidey hole to do it in. There is a small , 2 acre lake that is occasionaly  stocked with fish. Not so often during drought, though.

There are few amenities , such as no showers no close by stores, or other distractions. There is a small concessionaire store near the Ranger outpost.  It may or may not be open, depending on the fire danger and the time of year.  Take your own food, water and anything else you need to regain your sanity and go up here.

Don't forget your bear canister for your food. There are bears and other wildlife that live up here year round.

Enjoy the peace and quiet and reclaim your soul.

Wonderful park. Plenty of grassy areas and you are not on top of your neighbor. Access to the lake to go fishing.

Best Place in Chino to Get Away

Chino Hills State Park has a campground with a small number of spots. These hills are amazing after a good rain. This year it was a good place to see the wildflowers. Unfortunately the campground has been closed for awhile due to water line construction but should open in Mar 2020.  There's plenty of restrooms and parking. There's also a number of hiking trails that leave from the campground.  The only cell service is on top of the closest hill.  Its a good spot for a quick getaway from the city.

One of my favorite spots!

I have camped here a few times and it is one of my favorite go to spots. I like that there is a camp store near by just incase case someone forgets their coffee mug🙄 or if you need some more firewood. The spots are inexpensive, $10 per night, most nights. There are lots of trails to hike and things to explore. It's a nice place to go when you need to get away from the city.

Perfect for a quick trip!

Feels like you’re in the middle of nowhere but so close to home! Perfect for a quick night trip. My friend and I decided at 8 pm that we wanted to go camping. It’s a first come first serve but there was only one other camper there. The fee is $20 self pay per night. Clean sites, with bathrooms, dumpsters and water.

Good Overnighter

This is a good spot to spend the night. It’s close to Ice House Canyon trail.

Good Overnight Spot

This is a nice quiet spot that lets you enjoy an outdoor experience. All sites have fire pits. Dumpsters are available as well. A few nice trails near. I don’t think they take reservations so it might be a first come first serve. We stayed overnight and didn’t pay for it.

Nice campgrounds

Very clean bathrooms with flush toilets.

Great fun little trial

Me and my girlfriend decided to go on this trail with our two doggos on a hot 95 degree day and we had such a good time the waterfall trail is nothing but shade provided by the trees foliage and the creek kept our dogs cool as they would jump in and out of the small pools we had a great time we hung out at the waterfall as it's a gorgeous spot to hang out we were also the only ones there the trail is only half a mile but we definitely took our time as it's a gorgeous trail would recommend it to anyone

Great Sunsets and Views

San Clemente State Park is a great place to go camping and enjoy the beach. The campground is located on a bluff that offers great views up and down the coast. It's also a great place to catch the sunset.

The facilities are very clean but bring quarters for the showers.  It's close to the freeway but I didn't hear anything. There were a few helicopters and Ospreys that flew over from Camp Pendleton Marine Base that made for a good airshow.

We lucked out with this little gem

We were looking for a place to plop the night before hiking Bridge to Nowhere and stumbled into this little campground.  There wasn't a lot of options since it's first-come, but we found a great little spot right on a stream to set up.  The ranger came buy to say hello and he ended up giving us some advice on the weather and a warning about the hike.  If there's weather coming it can get dangerous fast!  The skies were blue on the hike out but suddenly hail started and it down poured!  I've never been so scared of a flashflood in my life so we ran the 5 miles out to safety.  It was pretty memorable!  Definitely do that hike if you stay here!

Hidden Gem

Casper is a great park located 15min from the city. It has three main camping areas that cater to campers, RVs and horses. There are a number of hiking trails around that range from a 1 to 12 miles. On Saturdays there’s a nature walk.

Hidden Gem

I loved this place, this hidden gem is located in the in the middle of the city, with the feel of the outdoor. Lots of trees, biking and hiking trails, fishing area, beautiful views, very peaceful, family friendly, pet friendly, the C9 RV spot was very spacious, I also liked the A & B area. Not every site has a fire pit. Definitely coming back again.

My favorite place

We go every summer and the group keeps getting bigger. I love the trees, views and even the skunks (the are tame and love pizza). The walk up from the beach is a little tough, but the lifeguards are super nice and helpful if you need assistance. I always come home with a nice tan and great calfs. The upside of the walk is that there aren't as many people as down the beach by the public parking.

Great hidden away spot

Fairly easy hike in (after the 1st mike at least!) went over Labor Day weekend when it was its “busiest” and was still not very packed. Campsite is very nice looking and has a great natural spring by that has water year round. Bear lockers and back country ovens. One of My favorite places.

Quick Getaway to Nature

There’s about 38 campsites

If you want to do group camping there’s plenty of it there . 9-10-11 are the best ones with shade together , they have a campfire circle big enough for 10+

Plus there’s a nice waterfall trail which will be 2.5 in & 2.5 miles back

Gem tucked away 👌🏽

We love to travel and camp but can’t always carve out the time for a long drive out of LA. We found this gem, just 1 1/2hrs from LA and you’d never know you were anywhere near the city. It’s the perfect getaway, birds singing, and the scenery makes you feel like you’re in Tahoe. Amazingly quiet space, so tranquil and an absolute perfect temperature in August during the day and night. The only thing I’d recommend is bug spray, there’s lots of flying critters but that’s about it. We love this place and will certainly go back!

Secluded camping in the city

ONeil is a great little park that’s tucked away among the urban sprawl of Orange County. Once in the park you feel like you’re far out in the wilderness. It makes for a great weekend great away. The park is well maintained and has 78 sites to choose from. There’s a general store nearby but its stock is limited. There’s also Trabuco Oaks Steakhouse across the street if you get tired of cooking. There are a number of trails in the park for hiking and mountain biking. Overall it’s a great park.

Most beautiful sunset

Come here if you want to be able to park your car and camp right next to it. Great for a quick rest stop with one of the most incredible views! Saw tons of wildlife in a place that looks uninhabitable!