Angeles National Forest, CALIFORNIA

Camping California Angeles National Forest
Most Recent Angeles National Forest Camping Reviews
Wilderness Camping

There is nothing but you, the heat, the rocks, cactus and snakes… yes, snakes! Snakes were everywhere. This is a great place if you are interested in rock hounding, hiking or off roading, nothing else beyond that. Beautiful cactus and desert critters crawling about. But if you are not accustomed to heat and desert sunlight, be sure to wear plenty of protection as the Summer months can be brutal. While we were exploring we came across old military tanks to our surprise! Theres no fee to camp in the undeveloped campsite areas. There is no water, no trash, or restrooms available and no local cities nearby. I would recommend planning throughly and accordingly, depending on your needs for travel.

Island Time

You’ll get lost here in the beauty. Gorgeous clear water perfect for diving and fishing, great for relaxing in the sunshine with a beverage on the shore, while grilling the catch of the day. Close to a bit of everything and plenty of activities to keep you occupied! I didn’t have gear and was able to rent wetsuits and snorkeling gear to go exploring. Everything is a bit pricey here but it’s worth trying once, especially if it’s your birthday the charter is free!

Desert/City Lookout

Great spot along the PCT. Our site even came with a creepy manakin… make sure to look for it and add a sticker!

Each site has its own fire pit and we did not expect to find nice bathrooms here, but they were great!

Good little campground

Came here in mid November for a picnic and rest from our off roaring adventure. There are no amenities at this site, but it is maintained, and good for a day picnic or a pct resting spot. Bugs weren’t bad and tables were surprisingly spider web free. We had the whole place to ourselves

Centrally located but needs improvement!

Pros:

- location; easy to get to from LA County

- lots of campsites

- showers (bring quarters and the cost is $1.00 for @5 minutes

- playground and splash pad kept the youngins entertained

Cons:

- no lighting in restrooms; it was somewhat difficult taking my two toddlers to the restroom to potty in the evening before we turned in

- restrooms got really nasty in the evenings; it would be nice if the restrooms were cleaned multiple times a day

- non-enforcement of quiet hours; there were a few groups that were having too much fun well past midnight and no ranger/staff around to ensure quiet hours were adhered to

- ants galore; ants, ants and more ants and they got into everything

- no fishing allowed due to toxic algae

- horrible cow dung smell permeated the air

3 min Hike Camping

When you can’t do a 2h hike before setting camp, but you also don’t want to camp close to your car, Millard campground is perfect. The parking lot is just behind the corner out of view. The only downside is that there are a couple of holiday houses in the surrounding forest and there is the trailer of the camp manager. Also don’t go during week ends cause families bring their kids to camp. Besides that it’s a really chill and nice camp. There is a stream of water that flows close to the campground and there are toilets (no water).

Very dispersed and tons of solitude

2 Yellow post sites. High clearance/4WD vehicles highly recommended. Take a rocky bouldery creek wash up into the hills. Primitive camping with a single fire pit, no table, no hookups water or bathrooms. Awesome place to get “lost”in.

Quiet. Solitude.

Great primitive campsites. Need sturdy vehicle to get there. Quiet area with very little traffic. Stayed on a Sunday night and we were the only ones in the camp. Fantastic hiking up a nearby creek.

Quiet with Views

Great spot, clean vault toilets, and a good view. Only downside was the incredible high number of yellow jackets in the area and a fire restriction.

Not for those seeking quiet and seclusion

Easy to get to, but fills up VERY fast. Open spaces for large group camping. Fire pits at every campground and easy to walk to hiking trail. Most of the people camping there played loud music all night. Not exactly a get away from the city.

Some characters there, program local sheriff's number before going

It's a pretty nice little campground there's no water at least not that I've seen and there's a pit toilet that is probably the most disgusting toilet I've ever encountered I don't use it I don't go near it I bring a portable toilet every time I stay at this place. There can be some crazy characters and a lot of vagabonds that call this place home and sometimes you can hear some rambunctious conversations and activities which may lead you to want to call 911 but I would call the local sheriff since I'm sure they are very familiar with this campground. Lots of bugs, really nice tables, some of the spots have pretty deteriorated fire pits but they work and I'd say most of the spots have a good place for a hammock.

Lovely little campground

This is a hike in campground that has stoves and a creek running through. The sites are nicely spaced and there is plenty of shade. Perfect little backpacking trip.

Quiet except for trains

Stayed here a few times — quiet except for trains electric and sewer hook ups

Quiet and Close By

Whenever I need to get away from LALA Land, I head up here.  I grew up in the mountains of western Pennsylvania, so , sometimes , I need to kick back and recharge. Sort of going back to factory settings, as it were.

There are lots of cool spots up here and plenty of quiet.  Whether you like to hike, or fish or just kick back, this is a nice little hidey hole to do it in. There is a small , 2 acre lake that is occasionaly  stocked with fish. Not so often during drought, though.

There are few amenities , such as no showers no close by stores, or other distractions. There is a small concessionaire store near the Ranger outpost.  It may or may not be open, depending on the fire danger and the time of year.  Take your own food, water and anything else you need to regain your sanity and go up here.

Don't forget your bear canister for your food. There are bears and other wildlife that live up here year round.

Enjoy the peace and quiet and reclaim your soul.

Wonderful park. Plenty of grassy areas and you are not on top of your neighbor. Access to the lake to go fishing.

Best Place in Chino to Get Away

Chino Hills State Park has a campground with a small number of spots. These hills are amazing after a good rain. This year it was a good place to see the wildflowers. Unfortunately the campground has been closed for awhile due to water line construction but should open in December 2019.  There's plenty of restrooms and parking. There's also a number of hiking trails that leave from the campground.  The only cell service is on top of the closest hill.  Its a good spot for a quick getaway from the city.

One of my favorite spots!

I have camped here a few times and it is one of my favorite go to spots. I like that there is a camp store near by just incase case someone forgets their coffee mug🙄 or if you need some more firewood. The spots are inexpensive, $10 per night, most nights. There are lots of trails to hike and things to explore. It's a nice place to go when you need to get away from the city.

Good Overnighter

This is a good spot to spend the night. It’s close to Ice House Canyon trail.

Private sites and helpful staff

Each campsite here is pretty private and has a lot of shade. Close to the lake but we had to walk down a bit to go swimming. Some sites are smaller than others but it was only the two of us so everything worked out well. Park rangers here were very helpful, fun to talk to, and offered other suggestions for the coming camping weekends if I didn’t want to stay here again. Sites were 45 dollars or 10 for parking and 35 for the site. One vehicle included in the stay.

Great fun little trial

Me and my girlfriend decided to go on this trail with our two doggos on a hot 95 degree day and we had such a good time the waterfall trail is nothing but shade provided by the trees foliage and the creek kept our dogs cool as they would jump in and out of the small pools we had a great time we hung out at the waterfall as it's a gorgeous spot to hang out we were also the only ones there the trail is only half a mile but we definitely took our time as it's a gorgeous trail would recommend it to anyone

We lucked out with this little gem

We were looking for a place to plop the night before hiking Bridge to Nowhere and stumbled into this little campground.  There wasn't a lot of options since it's first-come, but we found a great little spot right on a stream to set up.  The ranger came buy to say hello and he ended up giving us some advice on the weather and a warning about the hike.  If there's weather coming it can get dangerous fast!  The skies were blue on the hike out but suddenly hail started and it down poured!  I've never been so scared of a flashflood in my life so we ran the 5 miles out to safety.  It was pretty memorable!  Definitely do that hike if you stay here!

Will not return.

The campsites are along a busy road. Lots of noise and lights during the night. The lake was absolutely disgusting. Dead fish all along the shore and floating in the water. Gross and stagnant, overrun with mosquitos.

Hidden Gem

I loved this place, this hidden gem is located in the in the middle of the city, with the feel of the outdoor. Lots of trees, biking and hiking trails, fishing area, beautiful views, very peaceful, family friendly, pet friendly, the C9 RV spot was very spacious, I also liked the A & B area. Not every site has a fire pit. Definitely coming back again.

Great hidden away spot

Fairly easy hike in (after the 1st mike at least!) went over Labor Day weekend when it was its “busiest” and was still not very packed. Campsite is very nice looking and has a great natural spring by that has water year round. Bear lockers and back country ovens. One of My favorite places.

Busy!

This is a huge campground on pyramid lake! The sites are small and close together. The lake levels are always a little low and this lake is especially muddy. Wear water shoes here! The camp sotes are pretty standard, however there are good amenities, like a volley ball court, horseshoes. It is not very shaded, bring a canopy. It's often very dry so I don't do campfires here. Full hook ups available. Good fishing.

Quick Getaway to Nature

There’s about 38 campsites

If you want to do group camping there’s plenty of it there . 9-10-11 are the best ones with shade together , they have a campfire circle big enough for 10+

Plus there’s a nice waterfall trail which will be 2.5 in & 2.5 miles back

Gem tucked away 👌🏽

We love to travel and camp but can’t always carve out the time for a long drive out of LA. We found this gem, just 1 1/2hrs from LA and you’d never know you were anywhere near the city. It’s the perfect getaway, birds singing, and the scenery makes you feel like you’re in Tahoe. Amazingly quiet space, so tranquil and an absolute perfect temperature in August during the day and night. The only thing I’d recommend is bug spray, there’s lots of flying critters but that’s about it. We love this place and will certainly go back!

Great Car Camping

I took my co-workers here and they loved it! We had campsite 101, which was beautiful. It didn't have the sweeping views that a few of the campsites have, but it was probably the most isolated campsite in the campground, so it was great for us because we tend to stay up by the fire talking late. Sunsets and sunrises were stunning. A local warned us of wind but it wasn't a big issue. The campground manager was great.

Most beautiful sunset

Come here if you want to be able to park your car and camp right next to it. Great for a quick rest stop with one of the most incredible views! Saw tons of wildlife in a place that looks uninhabitable!

Lots of Flies

This would be a great park but there are a lot of flies due to it being near cow fields. Well it is Chino. Great Lake for fishing. Large campground. The spots are nice. Hook ups.