About Malibu Creek State Park

One of the best places for Malibu Camping is Malibu Creek State Park, just 25 miles from downtown Los Angeles, features hiking, fishing, bird watching, mountain biking, rock climbing and horseback riding opportunities.

Fourteen-mile Malibu Creek is the principal watercourse of the Santa Monica Mountains that ends at Malibu Lagoon. There are 15 miles of streamside trail through oak and sycamore woodlands on chaparral-covered slopes. Following the trail along Malibu Creek State Park, the visitor will be treated to spectacular vistas, including volcanic rock gorges, scenic pools, and breathtaking views of the Las Virgenes Valley and Malibu Canyon.

Previous to being opened to the public in 1976, the park was used extensively to film numerous movies and TV shows, such as Planet of the Apes and MAS*H. Most of the park's land holdings were donated by Bob Hope, with later significant acquisitions from Ronald Reagan and 20th Century Fox.

Fee Info
Day Use: -All day – $12.00 per car, per day -3 hrs – $9.00 per car -2 hrs – $6.00 per car -1 hr – $3.00 per car
Malibu Creek State Park is located in California
Directions
The park is located four miles south of Highway 101 on Las Virgenes/Malibu Canyon Road. 1925 Las Virgenes Road, Calabasas, CA 91302
15 Reviews of Malibu Creek State Park
Just OK but close to LA

I have camped here many times over the years. It’s an absurdly expensive campground. It’s close to LA so I assume that is why they feel they can charge so much for a mediocre campground. The sites are close together and I camped here once when it was almost empty but they blocked off half the campground so you couldn’t get away from even just a few neighboring campers. There is a lot of cool stuff in the park like the old MASH set and a rock pool to swim in. But the campground itself is just OK.

Favorite camping of cross country trip.

Showed up Tuesday with no reservations and stayed until Friday morning when the spot was reserved. Cold showers available for free, hot water costs a few tokens. The rock pool is awesome but gets crowded near mid day. Couldn't find the mash site, apparently the bridge washed out. Got by the 10pm gate closing by getting a ride from the campground and walking back from the gate at night. Great location to Malibu beaches and most of LA. $45 is the most we paid for camping anywhere… but worth it.

Bang for the buck

We chose to stay here for the first time while visiting friends in Van Nuys for Memorial Day weekend. It's a quick drive from the campgrounds to almost anywhere. 🤨$45 for a one night spot is a little much, but great compared to a hotel/motel. 😥Gates close at 10pm 😥 so we had to leave friends early to get in the pitch the tent in the sunset. 🤩GREAT scenery of the Agoura Hills , roosters could be heard nearby the next morning ✌Other campers were cool and quiet, especially for a holiday. 🤗One of the rangers gave us a couple shower tokens that someone had "paid forward".

Just a pit stop!

This is a great place to get away from the bustle of LA. Very quiet and peaceful. The bathrooms were very clean! All of the park rangers I encountered were very pleasant. The only thing I wasn’t too happy about was it closed the gates at 10. So we couldn’t come in any time we needed to. I’ve been to a few campgrounds that you can pay at the gate in a deposit box and the next morning you’d get checked in by a host. This would’ve been nice. Instead of having a 10pm curfew. We didn’t have much time to explore but what I saw was great. I’ll definitely be putting this on my list of places to return to.

Good little campground

Hiking distance from a water hole and where they filmed many many movies and TV series You can still see MASH set. You can also do rock climbing

Good location, very crowded.

Plenty of hiking, swimming, and rock climbing to do. BUT very crowded and very noisy. Campground takes reservations but cant reserve sites. This can be great if you arrive right at check in, but not for those planning to arrive after work.

what a nice place to stay!

This campground was a hidden gem. when we went in March, it was quiet and empty, and everything was green. Bathrooms and showers were clean and I watched the workers scrub them out - they were very thorough. Sites were reasonably sized, although parking was tight. The nearby hikes are quite pleasant. All in all, for being as close to LA as it is, it’s pretty awesome.

Beautiful place to camp!

We loved out time at Malibu Creek State Park. There are beautiful trails and the sites are well maintained. The showers were cold but did warm up (there is an additional charge for the showers). We will definitely be back. 15 minutes from Pepperdine too.

Hot during the summer!

I came here during the summer and it was extremely HOT. Typically during the summer season, I like to find campgrounds that have a lot of lush trees so we can be under the canopies and stay cool, but Malibu Creek State Park is so convenient to LA. There isn't much shade on the actual campgrounds, but a few sites do have partial shade. There are some decent hiking trails nearby if you can bear the heat, but all the creeks are dried up so you can't really take a dip. It's much nicer and greener during the Spring or Fall.

The campsites are pretty standard, but they are spacious and have some privacy from neighboring sites. They come with a picnic table and there are coin-operated showers nearby. This isn't my favorite campground, but I love that it is local to me.

Nice Local Getaway

Nice place to visit to get out of the city for a night or two. Didn't get to spend too much time here but I definitely want tonxome back and explore more of the hiking trails and climbing. Facilities were well maintained and everyone was very friendly.