the dyrt
Fires Unknown
Pets Unknown
Water Unknown
About Chilao Campground
Due to an unforeseen water leak, there isn't any piped water available. It is high recommended to bring your own water. 5,300-foot elevation. Chilao Campground consists of two loops- Little Pines and Manzanita loops. Maximum RV length is 40 feet. No Hookups. Campsites are $12/night. Campsites are first come - first served basis. Reserving or the holding of campsites is not allowed. Checkout/change of day is at 11 am. Be Bear Aware. ACTIVITIES Camping
USDA Forest Service
Chilao Campground is located in California
Directions
Location: From Interstate 210 in the city of La Canada, exit at Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2) and drive northeast for 26 miles to the signed campground on the left. Call (818) 899-1900 for current conditions and additional information.
4 Reviews of Chilao Campground
relaxing

restrooms were clean! trees on campgrounds perfect to relax in your hammock 🤗

quiet, peaceful, pretty

went up with a friend for quick overnight trip-rangers were super helpful and campsite was nice. facilities were also clean. bonus for being so close to LA!

note: cell phone reception there, be warned!

Ranger Review: ColdPruf Honeycomb Mock Zip at Chilao Campground

Campground review: We reserved our campground in the early afternoon on Friday, expecting it to be busy as usual. There were plenty of spots though, much less crowded than during the summer months. Less than half the campsite was full by morning. We were able to get one of the single sites, which was nice. Many of the sites have side-by-side parking, so you usually are very near to your neighboring campsite.

Even though the daily high was 79 degrees, the low at night was 56, and it was still only 61 degrees by 7 am.

Gear review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products every now and then, and on this trip, I purposefully packed my ColdPruf clothing for the nighttime. While camping, I wore the women's Honeycomb Mock Zip top (in teal) and Zehphyr Leggings (in plum). Both items were size small. I usually wear x-small, as I'm petite 5'1", but I also have a pretty athletic build. The top fit perfectly, so I'm glad I got a small and that it fit my shoulders comfortable. The leggings fit a little more loosely, but mainly because they were a little long for my legs. They looks super stylish regardless, so I love them. I was so glad I had both these items on the trip, because they kept me sufficiently warm at night without requiring me to wear an additional outer layer.

The Honeycomb Mock Zip has this awesome texture to it that functionally keeps you very warm, but also gives the fabric a more interesting look for style. The lime zipper gives a nice splash of color too. The zipper goes about 1/3 down the top. One key thing I like about the zipper is that is purposefully sewn with fabric behind it, so that the zipper is never pressing directly against your skin. Very soft fabric, not at all irritating, like some other warm-wear. The thumbholes in the sleeves make it extra cozy, and keep your knuckles warm. The product claims to be designed for "odor control," and I must say, I was pretty impressed to find that this top didn't smell at all when I unpacked from our trip, despite the fact that had worn it while plenty sweaty and smelly. Nice!

The Zehphyr Leggings are nice because they can be worn for layering or on their own. I wore them both ways during the trip. They are comfortable enough to sleep in, so they work well as pajama bottoms. The mesh stripes effectively allowed ventilation such sweat and moisture didn't stay on my skin, while still keeping the warmth in. I find that many other leggings don't breath as well, so I'm happy to have found something that keeps me both warm and dry. The only feature I would change is that I wish the waist band would have more length to it.

A great time at Chilao Campgrounds

My girlfriend and I had to find a last minute campsite, so we start driving up the 2 in hopes of finding one. We ran into Chilao campgrounds first, and signing in and paying was all based on the honor system. We filled out the paperwork in the front and stayed the night with no problems. The site was clean, the firepit was in good condition, and we had enough space for two vehicles. Bathrooms were decent and we had plenty of space, plus a picnic table. We would definitely come here again if we were in the area!