About Angeles National Forest Chilao Campground

Piped water in the campground is non-potable.  Please boil for a minimum of 5 minutes. At a Glance: 5,300-foot elevation Chilao Campground consists of two loops - Little Pines and Manzanita Maximum RV length is 40 feet - no hookups Campsites are $12/night. Campsites are on a first-come-first-served basis. Reserving or the holding of campsites is not allowed. What to Expect Chilao Campground offers two different loops for tent camping, Little Pines, and Manzanita. Each loop offers 40+ sites for camping. Driving to the campground only takes an hour and a half away from downtown Los Angeles weaving up Angeles Crest Highway (HWY 2).  The campground sits at an elevation of 5,300 feet, giving campers majestic panoramas of nearby Vetter Lookout and Big Tujunga Canyon. Both loops remain open until a major snowfall makes it impossible to enter a loop. It's also important to note that wildlife is very active in this area and campers should ensure they secure their food in proper receptacles.

USDA Forest Service
Angeles National Forest Chilao Campground is located in California
Directions
Location: From Interstate 210 in the city of La Canada, exit at Angeles Crest Highway (Hwy 2) and drive northeast for 26 miles to the signed campground on the left.
7 Reviews of Angeles National Forest Chilao Campground
Great Weekender

Tried to stay at buckhorn but it was packed and everyone was on top of each other so on the search we Went and found chilao on accident campsites Are well kept plenty of room to make you feel like your alone

Solid

Will return

Great stay!

We were told that the water pumps were off but actually managed to camp right next to the one that was working. The bathrooms were super clean too! Really liked this campground and would definitely recommend

relaxing

restrooms were clean! trees on campgrounds perfect to relax in your hammock 🤗

quiet, peaceful, pretty

went up with a friend for quick overnight trip-rangers were super helpful and campsite was nice. facilities were also clean. bonus for being so close to LA!

note: cell phone reception there, be warned!

Ranger Review: ColdPruf Honeycomb Mock Zip at Chilao Campground

Campground review: We reserved our campground in the early afternoon on Friday, expecting it to be busy as usual. There were plenty of spots though, much less crowded than during the summer months. Less than half the campsite was full by morning. We were able to get one of the single sites, which was nice. Many of the sites have side-by-side parking, so you usually are very near to your neighboring campsite.

Even though the daily high was 79 degrees, the low at night was 56, and it was still only 61 degrees by 7 am.

Gear review: As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products every now and then, and on this trip, I purposefully packed my ColdPruf clothing for the nighttime. While camping, I wore the women's Honeycomb Mock Zip top (in teal) and Zehphyr Leggings (in plum). Both items were size small. I usually wear x-small, as I'm petite 5'1", but I also have a pretty athletic build. The top fit perfectly, so I'm glad I got a small and that it fit my shoulders comfortable. The leggings fit a little more loosely, but mainly because they were a little long for my legs. They looks super stylish regardless, so I love them. I was so glad I had both these items on the trip, because they kept me sufficiently warm at night without requiring me to wear an additional outer layer.

The Honeycomb Mock Zip has this awesome texture to it that functionally keeps you very warm, but also gives the fabric a more interesting look for style. The lime zipper gives a nice splash of color too. The zipper goes about 1/3 down the top. One key thing I like about the zipper is that is purposefully sewn with fabric behind it, so that the zipper is never pressing directly against your skin. Very soft fabric, not at all irritating, like some other warm-wear. The thumbholes in the sleeves make it extra cozy, and keep your knuckles warm. The product claims to be designed for "odor control," and I must say, I was pretty impressed to find that this top didn't smell at all when I unpacked from our trip, despite the fact that had worn it while plenty sweaty and smelly. Nice!

The Zehphyr Leggings are nice because they can be worn for layering or on their own. I wore them both ways during the trip. They are comfortable enough to sleep in, so they work well as pajama bottoms. The mesh stripes effectively allowed ventilation such sweat and moisture didn't stay on my skin, while still keeping the warmth in. I find that many other leggings don't breath as well, so I'm happy to have found something that keeps me both warm and dry. The only feature I would change is that I wish the waist band would have more length to it.

A great time at Chilao Campgrounds

My girlfriend and I had to find a last minute campsite, so we start driving up the 2 in hopes of finding one. We ran into Chilao campgrounds first, and signing in and paying was all based on the honor system. We filled out the paperwork in the front and stayed the night with no problems. The site was clean, the firepit was in good condition, and we had enough space for two vehicles. Bathrooms were decent and we had plenty of space, plus a picnic table. We would definitely come here again if we were in the area!