the dyrt
National Park Service
Ozark - Buffalo National River is located in Arkansas
15 Reviews of Ozark - Buffalo National River
Incredible hikes/waterfalls/caves/wildlife

Incredible campground and beautiful park! We saw a ton of Elk and the trails were incredible! Amazing waterfalls!

Good swimming - okay camping...

Arrive to the campground early in order to get a spot. This place becomes very crowded on weekends & during camping season. Campsites are very close to each other so it makes for loud mornings and loud nights. The facilities are a little dated and and in need of repair.

The hiking and swimming made this place a lot better. This campground has great river access. The water was very clear in some spots and that was pretty neat!

Beautiful and remote.

The Buffalo River is a must see Arkansas attraction.

Remote Camping With Blue Waters

Arkansas is one of my favorite places to camp. The state’s focus on their outdoor spaces is apparent when you travel to any one of their campsites or state owned facilities.  They really stick to their “Natural State” theme to say the least.

I traveled down Scenic Route 7 from Eureka Springs to Little Rock and found Buffalo National River, which until that trip I didn’t know was even there.  And how did I discover it? A sign pointing me into the direction of Ozark Campground and outdoor space.

At the time of my visit I had no idea what to expect when I got out of my car and started walking toward what appeared to be a hiking trail.  It opened up to the beautiful turquoise waters of the river, something I didn’t know existed in this area of Arkansas.  Nothing I had read or researched had mentioned this natural beauty just waiting to be explored.

Satisfied with my find I looked more into the camping area which included fire rings and picnic tables. There didn’t appear to be anyone settled in due to the recent rains and the moist ground where the primitive dry campsites were located.  I noticed on the entry kiosk there was additional information about the site including that it is a seasonally non-charging facility which sounded way to good to be true considering there were 31 spaces there and had to be a popular favorite when the weather was better.

During the summer months there is a flush toilet, so I went to check it out and it was nothing to exciting but well maintained.  During the winter they did provide vault toilets but no running water.

A negative I could see for some is the lack of cell signal with AT&T, this was an issue pretty much the entire scenic highway however not just at the campground.  I also noticed it would probably be pretty difficult to travel down the road if weather was icy, with the rain that had passed through it was slick so I can only imagine if the ice was full force, otherwise I would say this would be a great place to get winter mountain photos.

TIPS:

• Check out the river the water here is some of the most clear you will find and perfect for a number of activities. I found it to be perfect for swimming or relaxing but a lot of people kayak here.

• Bring a walking stick. There are several areas around here you will find perfect for hiking.

Beautiful and serene

Plenty of options for tents and RV's. Lovely section of the Buffalo River. Flushable toilets and shower facilities available. Can get crowded and loud during peak season. Several trails to hike of varying intensity levels. Really cool sink hole to look at on one of the trails.

Gorgeous Views

Buffalo River Campground is a great place to camp. Located on the beautiful Buffalo River, the views are incredible. It’s Dog friendly too and there are many hiking trails close by, some of which even connect to the campground. The river is also clear and a great place to cool off, tube or canoe down. I will def. return here!

June 10 - 17th 2018

Loud equipment to repair multiple camp sites around us.. Didn't know the showers were 100% out until we got there.. Got $130 fine for not knowing the seat life preserver was not acceptable.. Apparently you are supposed to know to read the fish and game website to know about the year changes in floating laws.. Even if you don't fish and knew nothing about it.. Thank you Buffalo ranger.. You kinda are not my favorite person right now.. :(

Stunning river

Amazing scenic cliffs, breath taking beauty. Park Rangers are all so helpful & welcoming!

Buffalo National River + Kayaking

The Buffalo National River in northeast Arkansas was the first National River. The river runs for 135 miles and is one of the few remaining undammed rivers in the lower 48 states. When paddling the river you'll pass by some steep canyon walls. There are a number of developed as well as primitive areas to camp. We stayed at the Steel Creek Campground which had a large open field for tent camping. It was surrounded by a groove of trees that ran along the river. There's plenty of space for tent camping and some space for hammock camping, but all the sites are available on a first come first served basis.There are some great hiking trails in the area, but the real attraction is the river and the opportunity to paddle it. In the small town of Ponca (pop.13) there is an outfitter/gas station where you can get equipped and arrange shuttle service for a drop-off and pick-up paddle trip. When hiking around the area you'll often hike in the surrounding mountains which overlook the river. It lends perspective to see the topography up close and personal while paddling the river as well as from a distant while hiking in the mountains.

Ranger Review: Ledlenser MH2 Headlamp at Ozark Campground, AR

Ozark Campground is a simple loop of campsites with great sandy river beaches a minutes walk outside the campground. Nestled alongside the Buffalo National River, Ozark is accessible yet hidden at the same time. We chose this area for a perfect weekend getaway and for an exquisite Autumn camping trip. This was also the perfect time try out my new Ledlenser MH2 Headlamp.

Campground Review:

The sites are first-come-first-serve and cost $12 a night (with a maximum of 6 people per site). There are toilets and water spigots around the campground, but no showers. I set up camp at site #4 which was right along the treeline and had plenty of hammocking spots. Each site has a table, fire ring, grill and hook to hang your food or trash.

When we were there, the campground was manned by a friendly older gentleman who pointed us toward the vacant flat areas since we drove in late at night. The campground has a picnic/day use areas, beaches and lots of nature trails (for hiking and horseback riding). We went on a weekend in mid-October and there were probably about 10-15 other sites being used while we were there for 2 nights. So it is a pretty popular spot but I can definitely see why. The weather was fantastic with cool Fall nights in the 40's and nice warm days anywhere from 60 to 75 degrees. This is a great spot for a family getaway. I highly recommend it!

……………………….

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get to test products. At Ozark Campground, I tested the MH2 Headlamp by Ledlenser. I happen to already have a headlamp, which I got for cheap at a local outfitter store. The MH2 blew my headlamp out of the water! I decided to do the nice thing and give the MH2 to my partner in crime since he has yet to own a headlamp, but by the end of the trip I was full of regrets for not giving him my old one! :)

What I loved about this headlamp:

1. The focus is unbelievable. First of all, my old headlamp has zero focusing capabilities. The MH2 allows you to target anything in the distance. At our campsite, we spotted with the bright setting an animal in the bushes. We were able to focus the beam on whatever animal it was and we were able to see perfectly a little armadillo staring back at us! I looked at the same thing with my old headlamp and barely saw anything but its eyes.
  2. Bright as hell! Enough said!
  3. So easy to use, with its tilting head for seeing the ground in front of you as well as the three easy-to-set settings (bright, dim, and strobe).
  4. It's so light and comfortable for being such a handy piece of equipment!

We will be definitely be using the Ledlenser MH2 for all of our outdoor adventures in the future!