Elgin , ARIZONA

Most Recent Elgin Camping Reviews
Patagonia

Stayed one night in a group site on the left large enough for six campers. There were three others when I stayed and one had a generator running non stop all day and night. This site,and the few other sites I saw, are right next to Harshaw Rd. which is pretty busy with fast moving traffic all day. Fire rings. No water. No hiking trails.

Patagonia has Old West character and Red Mountain Food is a good place to buy groceries. There’s a nice hiking trail out of Patagonia off Blue Haven Rd.

Hidden Gem

If you want to enjoy some time away from it all, head here. Also, on the West side of the mountains there are excellent sites with views from the Lion King. Bring water and sun block and enjoy.

Excellent family site

This is a great campsite for tent or campers. It has great access to the lake and the fish are almost always biting. Bring the kids bikes so they can explore a bit and enjoy the sunsets.

Beautiful, easy dispersed camping

Loved our two nights here! We hiked the Arizona Trail, built shelters next to the RV and loved hearing the sounds of the wildlife at night.

Secluded

Dispersed camping. No amenities. The spots at the cieneguita camp are full Everytime we have camped at the preserve but there is plenty of open area to pick a spot. We camped just past the cieneguita sites tucked back in the mesquite thicket. The dirt at the spot we camped at was so fine it was like talcum powder so everything was covered in dirt in no time BUT it’s camping. You can hear periodic gunfire as this is BLM but people appear to be shooting in areas that are away from campers and towards hillsides. Super quiet otherwise and great skies without light pollution for looking at stars. Pretty cool spot.

Peaceful at night

The directions to this area were accurate. Multiple sites off of the dirt road. Traffic was a little heavy during the day but died down at night. Shooting was allowed after a certain point so gunshots were heard during the day. The site I stayed had a lot of broken glass and random garbage. I filled a couple grocery bags of cans and bottles. The views were phenomenal during the day and even better at night. For a free campground I cannot complain. I would stay here again.

Nice escape, nice drive

We have camped here for probably close to 20 years. Always at a boat in site because there is very little privacy in the main tent camping area. At a Boat site you, the kids and the dog can all be loud. It’s a small lake but worth the drive to escape the heat to fish, float, boat, hike or hang out at the camp. Has a small marina with rentals. Hot as hell in the summer but the water is there. Watch out for ants, they are everywhere.

Great hiking spot

We had a great time camping and hiking at Cochise Stronghold. Stayed at the main campground but will stay at down at the dispersed area next time.

Worth the bumpy ride

Another app calls this Forest rd 687, probably because where all the camping sites are. Coming from Tombstone you travel on N Middlemarch rd which is 10 miles of dirt washboard and just plain bumpy for 10 miles until FR 687 comes up as you Y to the left. FR 687 is not exactly smooth either and not that wide (maybe 1 1/2 vehicle), but your basically there. From the cattle guard you just went through I would say 2-3 miles of established sites even for the bigger rigs and if your smaller or tent camping, just past the next cattle guard and it goes on and on. It would be hard not to find a site with a beautiful view of the Dragoon Mtn ridge, even from within your rig. Of course that would be after you dust off all the windows. Your roughly at 5000’ so winter camping be prepared for snow on occasion. It also can be a little breezy. I’m up here at the end of December and their calling for snow next week. Plenty of hiking, mtn bike, horseback riding and rock climbing. The locals love it up here too, so there is some traffic. Other than that it is pretty quiet and peaceful. This is all dispersed camping so come well equipped, because if you forget anything the closest town with supplies is Sierra Vista or Benson.

Gorgeous, isolated, wild!

You could not ask for more beautiful or isolated place to camp in the Southeastern Arizona mountains. Amazing views, and wildlife that includes antelopes, bear, lions, and javelina. Campground itself is very clean and seems pretty pristine.

One of the reasons for that, doubtless, is the road up there, which is not for the faint of heart. It is unpaved dirt & rock, and one-lane with the occasional turnout. There are times when you are traveling within two or three feet of sheer drops off the mountain face for hundreds of feet. If your heart, your transmission, and your tires can stand it, it is an amazing and gorgeous drive. Those last four miles of road will take you approximately 45 minutes, as long as you don't meet too many cars coming down or up.

I had intended to stay there overnight, but knowing that I couldn't get down the hill quickly, with a friend telling me that the (human) coyotes can be problematic in that area, and finding that I had no cell service about the last mile of road, I decided that, as a woman traveling alone, discretion was the better part of valor. I'm going to see if I can get my friend to come up with me later this month, in which case I will amend this review. But I thoroughly enjoyed the drive up, a brief stay at the campground relaxing, and the drive down.