THE BEST CAMPING IN
Alaska
Camping Alaska

Alaska is the biggest state in the U.S., more than twice the size of Texas. Yet it’s the least densely populated state in America, and one of the most sparsely populated areas in the world. There’s a lot of land waiting to be explored. It can be overwhelming trying to figure out the best place to go if you’re thinking about camping in Alaska. Fortunately, we’re here to help.

Located within a short day’s drive from Anchorage, Denali National Park covers six million acres of wild, untamed land. A destination for mountaineers, explorers, photographers, and nature enthusiasts, the park is home to North America’s tallest peak, Denali—formerly Mount McKinley. The mountain alone attracts visitors from all over the world to climb its rugged peaks, ski its snowy slopes, and take in all the natural wonder camping in Alaska has to offer.

Established by Congress in 1917 as a park to conserve Dall sheep from hunting, Denali is home to all sorts of wild animals, such as wolves, bears, moose and reindeer. The park has six campgrounds but keep in mind there is no National Park Service-run lodging. But tent and RV camping are welcome.

If fishing is part of your camping experience, then the Russian River is the perfect place for you. Rated the most popular sockeye salmon stream in Alaska and one of the top-rated spots for rainbow trout, the Russian River is located on the Eastern Kenai Peninsula in the Chugach National Forest, which spans more than five million acres of raging rivers, mountains and beautiful terrain.

More than 100,000 people visit the Russian River area annually and enjoy activities such as hiking the Russian Lakes Trail, visiting the K’beq Interpretive Site—where tribe members guide visitors through interpretive walks showcasing archaeological sites, stories and culture—along with biking and boating. The campground has 83 campsites and is open from May through September.

As one of the ultimate bucket list camping destinations for campers like you, finding camping in Alaska can be overwhelming and, at times, competitive. Trust authentic campground reviews on The Dyrt to guide you through the wilderness in the 49th state.

Recent Reviews in Alaska
Large campsites for RVs and tents

We camped here in July 2019 and we had two families. We had tons of space for a 30ft trailer and two trucks and we liked that there was a small grass area for a tent. We had electric and water hookups and we even had cell service. Most of the sites seemed big and well spaced apart so you didn’t feel like you were on top of other people. The campground was very beautiful and clean and quiet. Even the pit toilets were clean and well maintained. We found the location to be excellent - both Talkeetna and Denali NP were day trips for us. We would highly recommend this campground.

Short proximity to Fairbanks

Wonderful campground if you are looking to get away from town but still in close proximity. Well maintained camping area, with options to camp on an island in the middle of the lake.

They offer boats and paddle boards for day use at a reasonable price! Fun to take the family for a day or a weekend.

Great spot close to Anchorage!

Can fill up quickly during the summer, so will probably be full if arriving later in the day. Nice, simple campground. A very short walk from the beautiful bird creek. And despite close to the rail road, trains were very infrequent during our stay and not a bother.

Family fun

We stayed at the campground while at a Soccer tournament. Great place to stay very clean. River is a short walk from any camping spot! Will definitely be back!

Peaceful Yurt City with all the amenities

This Yurt Village has just about everything you could need for mix between tent camping and hotel stay:

- Small, shared kitchen and dinning with a fridge, grill, and free make your own waffle/donut bar in the morning

- Group fire pit with benches and hammocks

- 2 showers, 3 toilets with towels, mirror, blow dryer and mirror

- Electricity in the yurt to charge your phone

- wifi in the common area

- fan and mini heater for the yurt

- linens provided

We stayed in the Halibut Yurt. It was stocked with some reading material and bear safety kit.  The yurts aren't far apart, but separated by cute paths among the woods.  Our bed wasn't the most comfortable, but that is our only small complaint with this camping space.   The host was nice and the campground was very clean. It is 7 miles from downtown Seward and there is a bike path almost the whole way into town.

BEAUTIFUL SCENERY

Great place to stay and fish! Waterfalls, bears, sea lions, kayaking, Visitors Center and Hatchery Tour. Valdez, Ak

WILAWAW CAMPGROUND

Beautiful Camping sites for tenting or RVing. Double Campsites also. Self Service, No power hookup, water at the hand pump station, campfire wood for sale, $18 a night for single sight, back up and pull in sites, hiking to falls trail, campground host available, restrooms. Close to Portage Glacier, Byron Glacier, Animal Conservation Center and Whittier.

Family Oriented Campground

Cohoe Beach Campground is a family oriented campground. It’s walking distance to Cohoe Beach and the Kasilof River. The owners/operators are very welcoming, friendly, and accommodating. They allow ATVs to operate from camp to access the beach. Just watch the speed within the campground (5MPH). They also have firewood for purchase. The campground is a work in progress, as sites are still being installed. I believe this will be a great campground when it’s completed as it’s location is great for beach and river access (especially during fishing season (set/dip netting or surf fishing from the beach). Sites have fire pits and picnic tables. I will be back as it’s also reasonably priced. It makes for a nice getaway, as it’s close enough to Soldotna if you need something but just far enough away.

Nice even considering price

It is midway down the Homer Spit. Cost is $72/night Typical for every where we have stayed in Alaska it is a gravel lot pretty closely spaced. Full hook ups. Have sites which face the bay need to reserve in advance. I would stay here again. I like everything but the price.

Great RV Park

This is a great place to stay near North Pole/Fairbanks. They were really helpful with booking. The sites have enough space between for slide outs, but still a little tight. Really nice view of the Chena River. You give a $5 deposit for a key for showers and laundry, will be refunded when you return the key.

One of our best stays in Alaska

We went from Ohio to Alaska last year with a 36' fifth wheel camper and stayed at 56 campgrounds in three months. Heritage was one of our favorites. Very nice camp sites with full hookups. Excellent showers, very clean and laundry facilities larger than any other campground we have ever stayed at. Very nice people working there that are always willing to help in any way they can. Great coffee shop with doughnuts and a relaxing place to sit and enjoy them. It's all right on the water and a two minute drive to all the charters on the spit. I highly recommend this campground.

Brand new BUT...

Let me start this review by saying that KOAs and RV parks in general are not our preferred type of camping. Personally, I would give this a one or two-star review but with the understanding that others may like this type of camping, I'm upping it to three stars. This is a brand new KOA that just opened in June 2019 and it has all the amenities you might expect from a KOA - full hookups, large laundry room, small store, etc. Yes, you do have views of the mountains. The lot is gravel and the sites are stacked up like dominoes, with nothing to separate the sites other than a white dividing line (typical for an RV park). But what makes this particular KOA not a good choice is that it is sandwiched between two dog sled kennels and you will hear barking huskies during your entire stay. If you don't mind barking huskies, you will definitely hear noise from the highway. There is NO separation between the campground and the road and should you be unlucky to get a site close to the road, this could definitely be unpleasant. It is also quite a distance from town so you would definitely need to drive. Considering the price tag of $60 per night and many other choices in the area, I'm not sure what the appeal of this facility is.

Just wonderful fun for the family !

Eklutna is just a wonderful fun place for the family. Not only can you do swim 🏊‍♀️, fish 🎣, and kayak 🚣🏻‍♀️, bike 🚲, and ride atv’s . The hiking 🥾 is just so good and omg 😮 the camping ⛺️ has some amazing place’s for you tent’s 🏕. Oh and if your in to looking for Bigfoot well we tried doing some calling for them but because it was day time and just maybe not the right call we did not find them. But there is always next time 😉.

Ranger Review: Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier at Alpenglow Luxury Camping

Campground Review

This place is AMAZING. I can’t wait to go back!  The wildflowers, glacier view, hot tub, and comfortable bed are just a few of the highlights.

Alpenglow is located a little over 2 hours from the Anchorage Airport. The directions from the host are very detailed and if you follow directions it is easy to find. The camp is located next to the MICA Guide business and you actually check in at their blue yurt. When we arrived, our host was waiting for us and walked right up to our vehicle to show us the way to our glamping tent.

There are currently 4 glamping tents available with deck, screen zipper door, a memory foam mattress (very comfortable), and warm, heavy blankets. The tent and bed are positioned perfectly to see the Matanuska Glacier off in the distance! Don’t forget to bring an eye mask to sleep as this is located in the land of the midnight sun and the tent is white. We forgot out and still slept wonderfully in this tent.

A short walk away is a clean outhouse, cedar wood hot tub(open from 7:30-10 pm), shared dinning pavilion, fire pit, and a few games(cards, board games, and bean bag toss). There is a small kitchen the host serves a dry breakfast(muffins, oatmeal, boiled eggs, tea, coffee, yogurt, etc.) and a fridge available for use. You cannot personally cook anywhere on the property as the kitchen is commercial and they are bear aware. Only drinks are allowed in the tent; all food and toiletries need to stay in the car. A walk up the hill will lead you to flush toilets. There is not hot water on site yet, however there is a paid shower available 10 minutes up the road that we used.

There are several excursions available from near by companies (glacier walks, ice climbing, rafting, ATV rides) to make this camp a home base for several days of your vacation or just a quick get away from the city. My husband and I came here directly after completing a mini triathlon; this relaxing experience was exactly what we needed.

Product Review

As a Ranger for the Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time– today I am testing Liquid I.V. Hydration Multiplier.

I purchased they multiplier pack and have sampled two flavors: Acai Berry and Passionfruit. I enjoyed the taste of both. As I mentioned above, I competed a mini triathlon on my weekend getaway. I drank one packet of the hydration multiplier the night before the race(1 packet is for 16 ounces of water) and a second before and after the race, in addition to plain water during the race. The mix makes the water a little thick, slightly syrupy but not chalky or gravely and the powder mixes in very well. Although I can’t say how I would have felt during and after without this product, I felt great with no muscle cramping and no thirst cravings. The product seems a little expensive for daily use for me, but probably comparable to similar products on the market.

Excellent campground...Boondocking only.

New campground adjacent to Jim Creek ATV parking lot. Nice long, flat RV sites with great fire pits and picnic tables. $17 a night for Boondocking only; there are no sites with amenities. Can ride ATVs from your site out to recreational area.

Nice quiet getaway

Nice quiet campground. Very little vehicle traffic due to the location being at the end of the road. Running river not too far from the campsite makes for perfect background noise to sleep too. Well ventilated outhouse style toilets were surprisingly clean. Bring your own firewood since there was no fallen trees to cut up.

Pretty nice

Camped not exactly at this location but down the road a bit.. tent camping only. $20 a night per tent, per tent. First come, first serve. Pretty stoked I got to see homer before it gets it’s heavy tourist season. Worth checking out, had a nice cup of joe at Coal Town Coffee, cute shops as well.

Ranger Review: Midland USA Camping Bundle at Entry Cove State Park, AK

Campground Review:

Technically, this area is not a managed or maintained camping area, and like most remote beaches in Alaska it's first come, first served but you're not likely to have much competition. This spot is located in beautiful Prince William Sound, approximately an hour boat ride from Whittier, Alaska. We set up camp where the beach meets the wooded area  As always, it is up to campers to keep the areas free of garbage and pack in/pack out everything. Don't forget to bring along a little shovel to, ahem, bury your personal business and TP. Remember that the tide differential can be huge, so don't let your boat get stranded while exploring the area.

**************************************************************************

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I am occasionally provided with products to test. We recently tested the Midland EX210VP E+Ready Bundle and ML500 LED Lantern with two of the harshest critics around– our 3 and 7 year olds.

EX210VP E+Ready Bundle – The items in this bundle are a pair of X-Talker T31 walkie talkies and the ER210 emergency weather alert crank radio. The walkie talkies were slightly smaller than others we’ve owned in the past, but they ended up being perfect for our kiddos and felt comfortable in the adults’ hands. The compact size means they fit perfectly in backpacks and jacket pockets, and can also attach via plastic clips. Often my husband will take one of the kids for a canoe ride and exploration in a nearby bay or cove and I’ll stay to beachcomb or hike with the other child, so it’s nice to have an option for keeping in touch while we’re separated, especially since we’ve encountered black bears and other wildlife in the past. Cell service is practically nonexistent in many parts of Alaska so we can’t always rely on our phones.

I was most excited about the crank radio and it didn’t disappoint! First of all, it’s not heavy and pretty compact - about the size of a little camcorder. My kids loved the flashlight aspect and fought over whose turn it was to hold it. My husband loved the fact that it’s a NOAA weather band radio and he was able to easily access the sea forecast(does that weird computer voice creep anyone else out?) It took a bit of cranking before we could begin charging up a cell phone through the USB cord, but I’m happy as long as we have that capability. And if the battery or crank fail, you still have the option of running the device via solar power.

ML500 LED Lantern – The light output on this is great, although we really didn’t need it since southcentral Alaska is currently seeing 21 hours of functional daylight. My daughter dropped the device on the some jagged beach rocks at low tide and the lantern still worked perfectly, even if the exterior plastic saw a few scuffs. The metal loop is perfect for hanging from the top of the tent. A wide base means it’s stable in a boat, camper, or on the picnic table. And yay for warranties, this is for one year. We didn’t need to run the lantern for long periods of time, but Midland says it’s good for 65/19 hours of illumination at low/high settings, respectively. Cons: This is very minor, but I do wish the lantern had come stocked with the three D batteries required to power the device. I realize Midland most likely went this route to lower the total cost of the light- a set of just two D batteries at our local store runs about $11.

Overall I’d highly recommend all of these products from Midland. Our items were all color coordinated (red and black) which is kind of nice. We frequently camp with our young children on remote islands and areas only reachable by boat, so it appeals to my mom sensibilities to have gear that is reliable and can be used in a safety/communication capacity as well as for fun.

Great campsite with great hosts

Stayed one night in June 2019. Owners were very friendly and engaged with everyone. There is a fun nightly “World Famous” pancake toss that everyone is encouraged to participate in. Sink a pancake in the bucket and win free breakfast. Breakfast in the restaurant was fantastic. Campground is in the woods. Full hookups available as well as a dump station, RV/car was station, hot showers, group fire pit, and market. Close proximity to fuel in town. Overall great place

Childhood favorite! Family friendly campground with boat launch

I grew up at this campground…literally every weekend camping was spent here! Its changed since I was a kid but it's still a great campground. There are TONS of spots (60 I think) with a mix of secluded spots and also group spots. There are two main loops one in the woods and one along the river where there is a boat launch and where you can fish from shore. There are well restrooms and a shower facility as well. Definitely one to keep in the rotation of spots or to make it your go to family spot like it was ours for so many years

Friendly host, lots of space

The host was really friendly and helpful, easy going guy who owns the property. It’s a flat rate and you can camp wherever you want! There is lots of space to have your own spot. There are lots of fire pits and picnic tables around, as well as outhouses. Great location right by the river and bridge and a short walk to the lake with amazing views of the glacier!

Convenient location and secluded sights

This is a really great stop over camp site for road trips. The sites are all different and pretty secluded, hardly saw anyone while there (September).

Beautiful cabins right off the creek

The Riverside Salmon Cabins have three beautiful cabins for rent only a few feet away from Montana Creek.   Our stay was supposed to be for the Sockeye cabin, however, that cabin was occupied, and we instead stayed in the Chum cabin.  The third and middle cabin is named the Silver Cabin.   Each cabin is similar in size and décor with a deck, out house, and firepit.  The Silver cabin has a slightly larger fire pit area.  The Chum cabin had the best (newest?) outhouse, although all three were clean and nice.   There is a wilderness sauna between the Chum and Silver cabins that is shared – it does not appear that the Sockeye cabin rental includes the sauna.

The cabins are built for 2 with a comfortable queen size mattress. The cabins are solar powered and have a heater.  They are dry cabins with no running water, but 5 gallons of potable water is provided.  There are two plastic chairs for the deck and a promised bundle of firewood offered (although we did not have one during our stay). There are fixings for tea with 2 teacups.  No plates, bowls, or silverware are provided and the sink is not supposed to be used for washing a lot of dishes. Apparently you can get cell service AT&T; we had none with Verizon phones.  Less than 2 miles down the road on the way to town our phone service kicked in.

Overall the cabins were wonderful and the land very peaceful.  However, we unfortunately had some communication challenges during our stay.  We attempted to contact our host by the number provided on the confirmation email once we found our assigned cabin was occupied upon checking.  After 6 hours of exploring in town we had not heard from him.  Luckily another cabin was open and we decided to stay there.  We never heard back from the host even after our stay.   I’m sure this was a fluke as many previous customers have given great reviews on other reservation sights.  My recommendation is to reach the host prior to your stay to avoid a similar situation.

Ferry from Homer to Kachemak Bay

We ferried from Homer, which is a GORGEOUS ride. As mentioned below, we did an out and back hike from the South Grace Ridge trailhead to the summit of the ridge which provided some of the most beautiful views I have ever seen! The yurt is spacious and comfortable with its padded bunks. Such a beautiful experience.

The yurt is approx. 12 miles from the spit, on the N. shore of Tutka Bay, and is about 100 yds. from the drop-off on a rocky beach and is protected from breezes by the mature forest found in Tutka Bay. A solid gravel bottom provides good places to anchor your own boat. Suggested trips: The yurt is very close to the South Grace Ridge trailhead. Hike up switchbacks through the old growth forest, traverse the alder and grass transition zones, and find the alpine zone at about 1800’. There are spectacular views from the sharp ridges you encounter as you head N. towards the summit of the ridge. Look for rock ptarmigan in the alpine areas, mt. goats and marmot. Tutka Bay is also a perfect place to kayak, weather permitting. Go S.E. to the head of the bay and look for beaches and coves exposed at low tide that will provide landing spots. Head N.W. and just outside the mouth of Tutka Bay you’ll enter Little Tutka and find the Herring islands. You can also use the yurt as a starting place for a multi-day kayak trip, heading up the bay.

Some of the best Winter Camping and Snowboarding around.

This is a great place to build a snow cave or do some winter camping. It gets cold so dress warm in the -20--40 range. There are lots of great places to drive up to and snowboard to the roadway. There is no camp site so you need to pack in all your stuff. If you are into winter camping it is amazing.

Primitive camping by the river.

We stayed here before our river trip down the Nelchina river. Nice place to set up a tent and sit by the fire. Lots of wildlife in the area. Saw bear tracks close to tent so make sure you use bear safe containers and don't take food in your tents. Amazing views all around. The river is nice and has some amazing views.

Please pack out what you take in and leave no trace. This is a nice spot to camp with a picnic table and out house and great tent spots. Last time I camped here it was tent camping only.

Words can’t describe

But I’ll do my best. We went for a drive today and found that wonderful camp ground unfortunately we did not get to say there because of trees that needed to be worked on. But you can bet we are going to be going back and staying there it was a cute little place beautiful lake and I can’t wait tell we get to see it all. It was just a bit windy and the boat dock was rocking but that’s because we have never been on a floating boat dock before 😂.

New campground, prefect for fishing trips

I think this will be a 5 star once it is fully built!   The owners of this private campsite have developed 9 sites with picnic tables and firepits and have plans for additional sites, water hookups, and bathrooms.  They were fantastic hosts who went out of their way to make us comfortable.

My stay was in their rented RV, although you can camp with a tent or your own RV.   The RV rental had heat, hot water, and electricity powered by a generator the host ran once a day to make sure the battery was full.  It was clean, comfortable, and fully stocked. We booked it through airbnb and it sleeps 3.

ATVs are allowed at the campground and you are are about 3 minute ride away from the beach.  We had the campgrounds to ourselves on a Thursday night in May, but we hear the campground is completely full during fishing season.

The brand new campsites are clean.  The don't have a lot of privacy (which might improve later in the season once the trees are full).  There is only a porta potty for restrooms right now. It was clean and the owners plan to build regular bathrooms in the future.  The campground is right off the road and you can see/hear the few vehicles that drive past.

Wonderful Campground for all

This USFS Campground is right off the highway at Kenai Lake near Coopers Landing. Easy access for most any size RVs or trailers, well spaced, improved, level sites with big wooden tables and metal fire pits with metal cooking grates. Water and very clean restrooms and locking trash cans throughout the 2 loops. There is a boat launch. One side has Quartz Creek  running along it and another has lakefront campsites. There are first come, first served as well as reserved campsites. Some are single ($18) and some are doubles ($28) and there is a dump station. Salmon run up Quartz Creek and once they arrive the Bears will too. Very close to Coopers Landing and the Russian River. Lots of hiking, Mtn Biking trails, boating and fishing within very close distances as well as small stores, gas stations….

This is a great, quiet campground very close to many popular areas in Alaska. It is very busy once the Red Salmon arrive, esp fron mid July to mid August…