About Teklanika River - Denali National Park
National Park Service
Hike In
Teklanika River - Denali National Park is located in Denali National Park in Alaska
6 Reviews of Teklanika River - Denali National Park
Pristine Beauty

Looking for jaw-dropping scenery and untouched beauty, then look no more than Teklanika River. With vast thick wooded areas surrounding you the lure of the wild will keep you wanting more. Venture out to the open fields and valleys in search of catching a glimpse of the prized wildlife that call this home.

Great campground that you can drive your car or RV to!

We really enjoyed that we could drive our car further into the park to camp in this campground. Sites are flat and aren't too close together. Had outhouses and running potable water. Fires were allowed. Short walk to the gravel bar and Teklanika river. Nightly ranger programs. We bought a bus pass so we could take daily trips to a part of the park we wanted to explore and then would hop back on when we were done.

wilderness

requires a road permit and you to park your car or rv and stay until stay complete. near a glacial river and one hour into Denali National park. has pit toilets and water. ranger talks posted. great for families. near bus stop to take camper bus farther into park. no marked trails but you can hike along river or road.

Amazing Gem 30miles Into Denali

Teklanika Campground is a phenomenal location for camping in Denali. Accessible to both tent and RV campers at mile 29.1 on the Denali Park Rd this campground has vault toilets, picnic tables, and fire pits and requires a minimum 3 night stay with no access to the front of the park (without additional fees) once you arrive. Campers here purchase a Tek Pass which allows access further into the park via the bus system (the only way to get further into Denali from this campground). Our favorite feature of this campground was the Tek River which is directly next to the campground. The river bar made for excellent hiking and adventures for the whole family with plenty of animals to see. We would definitely camp here again!

Wilderness by the river

The farthest that you can drive into Denali to car camp or take an RV. Incredible location with long views of snow topped mountains, long sloping hillsides, and spruce forest. Wildlife all around: Moose, bears, snowshoe hares, ground squirrels, lynx, and more. The park bus will also take you there if you want to leave the car behind. Super clean Pit toilets and water available. Campground hosts very friendly and helpful. Bring Bear spray for hiking, bug spray, and warm clothes (even in summer). Bring your own firewood if you can. Reservations best made 6 months in advance. Sites are first come when you show up. Try to get one near river.

The real into the wild!

This campground is located at mile 29 of the denali park road so if you're taking the bus that's where you need to get off! Make sure you have your thermarest and sleeping mask the midnight sun is real and you'll need it to get some shut eye. Permafrost in Alaska is also real and you'll have a frozen bum if you forget your thermal rest. Also deet is essential here. This was my favorite place to camp in denali after setting up camp I scrambled up the hill on the other side of the road and watched the caribou herd for what seemed like forever. The day I left I was awakened by a moose and her calf in my camp site who were luckily non aggressive and didn't seem to care about me at all. Mean while I'm sitting in my tent having a heart attack ready to die. Anyway amazing place check it. Happy Adventuring!