the dyrt
About Richard Bong State Recreation Area
Richard Bong State Recreation Area is located in Wisconsin
14 Reviews of Richard Bong State Recreation Area
Nice State Park

The Weekend we were here they had a free Kids fishing weekend and John the naturalist was amazing!! There is a ton to do at this park the nature center has activities all weekend long

clean, simple, and open view

great for relaxing or calming walks, great open view, small lake, enjoyable.

Tons to do in this awesome state park not far south of Milwaukee

This campground wasn’t heavily booked and had great sites. Richard Bong State Park is huge with tons of hiking, nice fishing and kayaking. There is a launch pad for model rockets which my kids loved.

nice place

we had a nice time tent camping here! the property is HUGE and most things are about a 10 to 15 min walk from the campsites. lots of hiking, boating, swimming fishing and more! a great place for anyone!

Good place to crash after an Alpine show

Used to stay at this campground every year after watching shows at Alpine Valley. We always stayed on a group site which isn't by any other sites which was really nice. Just had to worry about our group and not others around us.

Bring your ATV!

It was easy to get reservations to this campground. We picked it because it was an hour and half from Chicago. We went for the ATV track. We took our bikes down by the pond and park. They have flush toilets and showers.

Large natural area with options in addition to camping

Wisconsin’s first and largest recreation area has a wide variety of opportunities available. A collection of grassland, prairie, savanna and woodland provides volunteer opportunity as well as hiking, camping and even dog training.

The ranger staff was enthusiastically helpful. The first person at the gate directed me to the inside to register. This ranger collaborated with another to advise me on a site that was less buggy and still let me have sun access for the solar panel. They settled on a site in the sunrise campground. Besides the host, I was the only one in this loop.

The campsite is very large. However the trailer length would be a deciding factor on your choice of sites. Site 28 gave enough space for my trailer and car before the bumper stopped vehicles. Beyond the bumper grassy area expanded to give me more room than I would need. I quickly set up the screen room since mosquitos were all over me. Once settled in, a peaceful tone took over. My mind blanked out the sound of vehicles and let the chirping birds resound.

The visitor center has live animals and displays. 16 miles of hiking trails through a variety of ecosystems - one is a self-guided interpretive trail. Watercraft have a place on Vern Wolf Lake.

Be prepared for the bugs while you stay here.

Nice park

It’s a big park. The staff could be a friendlier and it’s in better shape. Good for a weekend.

Relax Refresh Renew

This is our go to place for the first outing of the year to check out our gear. It is close enough to home that if we have an issue we are nearby to get it fixed. The trails are great for hiking and bird watching. We love going out in the spring when the bull frogs are out and listening to their chorus. There is a great winery just down the road if you want to take a field trip and have something to sip by the fire at night. There are lots of activities at the nature center and you can bring your own toys ie: ATV's, rockets, bikes to enjoy the vast amount of acreage that is available for use.

Great for young explorers!

A little cold but perfect weather for exploring! Great little site.