About Deer Run Campground

Deer Run Campground is located in the beautiful Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area on the Ashley National Forest at an elevation of 6,200 feet. Flaming Gorge Reservoir is less than a mile below the campground. Exciting recreational activities abound, including boating, water skiing and fishing.

Recreation

Flaming Gorge National Recreation Area is known not only for its beautiful red cliffs, but also for its world-class fishing for lake, brown and rainbow trout. Boating, water skiing, jet skiing, canoeing, kayaking, swimming and scuba diving are popular activities on the reservoir. Cedar Springs Marina is adjacent.

Bear Canyon Trail, an easy 3-mile round-trip trail for hiking and mountain biking, begins nearby and leads to views of Red Canyon and Flaming Gorge.

Facilities

This small campground contains family campsites equipped with picnic tables and campfire rings. Flush toilets, showers and drinking water are provided. A dump station and marina are located in the immediate area at Cedar Springs.

For larger groups, the nearby Arch Dam, Greendale, Dripping Springs, Antelope Flat and Dutch John Draw Campgrounds have several group sites available.

Natural Features

Deer Run is situated among juniper, pinyon pine and sagebrush above Flaming Gorge Reservoir. Shade is limited and the reservoir is not visible from the campground. A resident deer herd gives this site its name.

Nearby Attractions

Flaming Gorge Dam offers guided tours of the working hydroelectric plant and the dam, and the adjacent visitor center contains area history exhibits.

The Green River below the dam provides spectacular rafting opportunities. A trip down the river offers unique geology, outlaw history and Native American rock art.

ADA Access: N

Sites
National Forest
Deer Run Campground is located in Utah
Directions
From Vernal, Utah, take U.S. 191 north 42 miles. Turn north onto Forest Road 183 and travel approximately 2 miles to the campground, adjacent to Cedar Springs Marina. From Manila, Utah, take Highway 44 for 28 miles. Turn left on U.S. 191 and go north for about 4 miles. Turn north onto Forest Road 183 and travel approximately 2 miles to the campground, adjacent to Cedar Springs Marina. From Rock Springs, Wyoming, take I-80 west toward Green River about 6 miles to the junction with U.S. 191/Flaming Gorge Road. Take U.S. 191 south for 67 miles, passing through Dutch John. Turn north onto Forest Road 183 and travel approximately 2 miles to the campground, adjacent to Cedar Springs Marina.
2 Reviews of Deer Run Campground
Convenient and the Showers are much needed!

We were on a five day road trip and this was our last day. So we were four days with out a shower and we needed them. Anyway, it's not far from the Flaming Gorge Dam. There were only two sites still available when we got there. They do take reservations so most sites were reserved. They also have it built to where there are single sites ($25) or double sites, which mean double fee ($50). There was one of each available. Thankfully, we were able to take the lower priced site. They have fire pits, nice ones in fact and picnic tables at every site. The doubles have two of everything (at least picnic tables, I can't remember on the fire pits). There are water spickets scattered around and a lot of vault toilets. You don't have to go far to find one. Up by the showers the toilets may have been flush. I didn't go in, the vaults were sufficient. They smelled from the outside but once inside it wasn't so bad. They were very clean. Plenty of toilet paper, which on a busy weekend can be an issue at most of these campgrounds. There is a host there as well. You can not see the reservoir from the campground but it's not far and it's pretty cool. The dam has a visitors center and if you enjoy geocaching, there is an earth cache there. The river coming out of the reservoir (I think it's the snake) is spectacular with the high walls and really blue water. The visitors center had a fish mount that was a fabulous 150 lb trout pulled out of the reservoir back in '88. It was a massive fish. So I imagine the fishing is good. I know I want to go back with a canoe and a fishing pole!

Back to the site. It was comfortable, the ground was pretty hard and it made it difficult to get tent stakes in, a lot of rock under the surface. Water was directly across from us and the toilets were just a site away. There was firewood available but when we got there it was $6 and when we showered it was $7. So, not even an hour after we arrived the price went up. The part I loved the most was the smells! I don't know what they were, if it was a sage or something different but it was fantastic! I wish I could share the smells with everyone I know.

I think if I went back I might explore other areas a bit but if you need a shower, this is the place to be. If you aren't camping there and still want a shower, it's $4 to take one. If you are camped there it's free.

Close to Cedar Spring Marina

Deer Run Campground offers nice campsites for smaller rigs. No Class A's for sure. Sites are nice and private but there are no views of the reservoir. However, the Cedar Springs Marina is less than a mile down the road. There are vault toilets and an occasional water spigot. They don't offer recycling waste cans. There is a camp host on site. Cell signal was about 3 bars.