No Fires
No Firewood Available
Up the Creek Campground is located in Utah
3 Reviews of Up the Creek Campground
Urban Camping With Urban Rules

I will say there is something very interesting about being in the middle of this rocky desert and finding an oasis of trees and tent only campers! Oh did I mention it is in the middle of a town yet seems like it is in the middle of a quiet sanctuary?

Up the Creek Campground is a strange anomaly in Moab offering a retreat from hiking and exploring for the weary camper looking to feel like they are a part of the downtown life but not so much that they have to get a hotel.

For me being a single person it was only $25 but they do charge by the person not by the tent site, which is kind of strange to me but the price I paid seemed fair.

But then came the red tape: NO campfires, NO dogs, NO bathrooms from 11 a.m. - 1 p.m., NO sleeping on the grass only on the dirt, NO wifi, NO electrical provided at tent sites.  So basically it is primitive camping with a lot of NOs!

While I don’t have to have electrical or wifi or even a dog it seemed odd to close the bathrooms for a large block during the day and to regulate that while campsites had dirt and grass that you could be removed from the grounds camping on the grass.

So again with the good of the trees and grass also came almost a heavy feeling of limited use of those amenities, which I would say are their best features.

So what is the bonus of being at this campground, because I am always trying to find the absolute positive?  Being close to downtown, in fact only a block from some of my favorite spots including several shops and places to stop in for a meal or a good cup of coffee.  You are also very close to the access points for rentals and adventures.

City camping at its’ finest!

We have camped at this campground twice now and both experiences were great! This is a tent only campground in the middle of Moab. I would say it maybe holds a dozen or so tents so you have plenty of space and few neighbors. It is super quiet for being in the city. I was surprised at how few cars you hear going by.

The facilities are clean, although a little dated with shower curtains on the small shower stalls and your stuff goes way over on a bench so you have to hope nobody else comes in while you get dressed. I prefer the kind where each shower gets a bench and a door. It feels a little more private that way. I can’t really complain about getting a shower though since many campgrounds in the area do not have them.

Price per night is $40 a night which is plenty steep for a tent site, but I really love that after a day of hiking, you can wander the streets of Moab and find cute souvenir shops and great food. We really love Moab so it’s worth a little extra to camp in the city. We felt completely safe here and would do it again!

very cool, downtown camping spot

stayed here for two nights, and it was very nice! disclaimer: I was recovering from altitude sickness while staying here the first night, and slept for 12 straight hours, but when I woke up it was a really nice campsite! the staff work hard to keep it clean and green for us. and while there were many other campers and we were in downtown Moab, it was very quiet and peaceful. they had picnic tables and clean bathrooms/showers. would recommend!