Standard (Tent/RV)
Pull-Through Sites
Max Length: 50 ft.
Buena Vista KOA is located in Colorado
11 Reviews of Buena Vista KOA
Wide open and a lot to look at

This campground is in a great location.  Its close enough to BV for a quick trip to town and set back off the highway enough to make it quiet.  Views abound everywhere in the valley here and this campground joins the fun.  Most sites are on varying elevations up a hillside so we weren't looking right at our neighbors.  The ground were very clean and facilities kept up nicely.  This campground, like most KOA's, is great for families.

Very friendly staff

They were sold out when we called but had a site on a 20 amp they allowed us to use, very accommodating. Mountain views all around, an ice cream social, and clean facilities made this a very nice stay. Thanks Buena Vista KOA!

Great Place Wonderful views.

We stayed here while visiting family. The staff was great! It’s a great location, has hiking and biking trails and some amazing views of the mountains. It is close to all the things Buena Vista has to offer. A wonderful place for families, a nice playground and on Saturday night we had a ice cream social. The campsites are gravel and dirt so it is dusty. We will stay here again.

My kids love this place!

This is a great spot if you want to camp and have some fun and conveniences all in one place!

Location is great and is close by to Mt Princeton Hot Springs, rafting on the Arkansas River, hiking, and the town of Buena Vista.

Pros:

• Variety of accommodation options: cabins, tent sites, RV sites
  • Large pull through spots available for RVs
  • Well stocked KOA store with groceries, souvenirs, and camping essentials
  • Very friendly and helpful staff
  • Fun indoor game room with air hockey, ping pong, darts, and a pool table
  • While we stayed here, the camp hosts had an ice cream social which was also a fundraiser to send kids with cancer to camp

Cons:

• I prefer more isolation when camping, as you would expect for a KOA the sites are close and there are a lot of people and people sounds
  • The bathrooms were a little stinky
  • This is a very dry area, so it can be a little dusty at times

My kids think this is the world’s greatest campground, which overcomes any negatives!

Great facility but no trees

Great facility but no trees. Clean bathrooms. It was our first night in a camper.

Morning Mountains

Great views from the tent and relatively quiet neighbors! All your KOA amenities with a great location just outside of Denver

Price Per Camp To High For Limited Tent Amenities

I am not exactly sure why this area looked so much more dusty than other photos I had seen but when pulling into this campground I was a little shocked and underwhelmed.     I am used to KOA camps having some of the best amenities in the camping world but this one seemed a bit outdated.   While they did have some nice amenities, the campsites themselves seemed to have little to no shade and were more dust and gravel than anything.

As a tent camper I have slept on some hard surfaces before and learned to pad my site accordingly for comfort, however there were a lot of large rocks in the area where tents would be located which were rather large.   With these present it is hard to imagine other tent campers having a positive experience here or having moved them for comfort.   Perhaps the best bet when staying here would be one of the unique cabins or RV options.

Tent sites were very high considering they have no hook up connections.   After tax $40 this just was a bit over the top in my opinion.     The no frills style of camping in this area has a picnic table and nothing else to justify the price point.

A positive to staying in the area was the proximity to many hiking trails and places to explore along the river.    I noticed that within a 5 minute drive I could easily be in several access points for recreation opportunities ranging from fishing to hiking.    The snowcapped mountain passes were only a short distance as was the ghost town of St Elmo.     This is a huge positive for the campsite.

One thing I really did enjoy about this site was the camp cook area which is accessible to everyone staying at the park.  In addition, there are a lot of small prairie dogs which make for a fun view throughout camp, especially near the road way.

On a negative note however, the bathrooms were outdated and in need of some TLC and the outdoor recreation space was in need of some soft space as opposed to the rocky landscape.

Outdated

My wife and I do a lot of traveling and have come to enjoy the cleanliness of KOAs when we are looking for something more comfortable during a trip.  The KOA in Buena Vista had some nice features such as some unique cabins.  The rest of the KOA was very outdated.  The bathrooms, even when cleaned, still had the appearance of being filthy and broken down.  Unless we needed a quick campsite, I don't think we will be staying here again.

Amazing views!

The views are breathtaking! A short hike right in sight! This place has yummy pizza on sight and they deliver!

Very Popular Place

Like most KOAs, you get a wide variety of people stopping through, and will inevitably pay more than most of the smaller locations in this area that have fewer amenities. Be prepared to share elbow room, but otherwise a good, safe spot for a night.