About South Llano River State Park
Hike In
South Llano River State Park is located in Texas
14 Reviews of South Llano River State Park
Covered picnic tables at each site!

Several options on campsites here. Sites with water and electricity, walk in sites and primitive hike in sites.

Even though we were tent camping we grabbed a site with water and electricity. All sites that we saw had covered areas that had picnic tables. Level site to set up our tent. A bit rocky but nothing horrible.

The options for hiking were pretty nice and wildlife was heard and see all over during our night stay. Everything from armadillos to wild hogs that we heard off in the distance. Hares and tons of different birds to check out. They even offer bird blind areas for the enthusiastic birdwatchers.

A few trails were closed off during our visit for the wild turkeys.

Folks in the park office were extremely knowledgeable and eager to offer suggestions and ideas as we were road tripping through TX.

Ranger Review: MH10 headlamp from Ledlenser at South Llano River State Park

Camp Site Review:

The camp sites at South Llano River State Park are pretty good. Each has a cover over the picnic table and the cover has shelves! There is also water and power at each camp site. The driveways are long and able to fit a large car/truck/van and a trailer. The campsites range from grassy to rocky.

The bathrooms are kept clean and have showers and hand soap.

For things to do, there are a bunch of hiking trails you can do, which range from fairly easy to moderate. There is a small lake to fish in, a river to fish or float in, blinds to watch birds, and it is in a prime spot for butterfly migration.

At the Park HQ, you are able to rent tubes to float the river, buy souvenirs, and learn about birding in the area. There is also a small grave yard from settlers near by. The Rangers also put on activities like showing skulls and animal skins, nature walks, and bird talks.

Over all, it is a nice place to spend the weekend.

Gear Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I sometimes get items to review. For this review, I received the MH10 headlamp from Ledlenser.

When I got it out of the box, my initial thoughts were that it looked pretty cool. I also loved that it was rechargeable via USB. It also came with a travel pouch, a red lens, a green lens, and an adapter to put the lenses on. A downside I found was that I wasn't really able to fit the headlamp, lenses, and adapter into the travel case. I also didn't like that there wasn't a spot to store the lenses when not in use. I feel they could get lost easily.

When dark came to South Llano River, I turned on the MH10 and wow was it bright! It lit up the who camp and when I pointed it into the sky, it was just missing a bat and I could have been in Gotham.

The MH10 has three levels of brightness and I typically used it on the lowest setting when around other people. When by myself, I had it on the highest setting so I could see more clearly.

You can also twist the lens of the MH10 to focus the light more. It gets a little hot when you leave it on for awhile, but there is a warning label and hasn't gotten hot enough to really hurt.

The coloured lenses worked well enough on the MH10, but I found it difficult to get them on without feeling like I was going to break them. It could be my inexperience with them though.

I was unable to get any clear photos of the MH10 working in the dark.

All in all, I enjoyed the MH10 headlamp from Ledlenser and I think it is a great headlamp for going camping.

Tubing

Rent a tube at the headquarters and float the river. Get out and hike back to the start. Never gets old on a hot day to sit in the spring fed waters. You can kayak to town. Coordinate your own shuttle. Lots of backcountry hiking. Not the most exciting terrain, but it gets the heart going to do the hills. Bring plenty of water with you back there.

Beautiful park with great river

Beautiful park on the south llano river in Junction! Nice paved roads and great access to birding trials and river!