Equestrian
$15.00 - $25.00
Hike In
Davis Mountains State Park is located in Texas
28 Reviews of Davis Mountains State Park
Great out of the way place. Lots of wildlife

We loved our stay here. So different then any other places in Texas. Had a roadrunner encounter with a baf of fretoes. I will always remember the cool of the evening, the darker dirt of the mountains…hills there in contrast to the heat of the day and that roadrunner!

4th of July

Went for the 4th of July celebration and fireworks. People drive up the hill at the park to watch the fireworks at a distance from town. The mountains here are called sky islands. Even in July I didn't need to use my trailer's air conditioning. It stayed around the upper 80's. Great baby hawk watching in the morning. You can walk down to the fort. I recommend that as a shuttle hike. It can be difficult coming back after going down to it. Extensive hiking across the highway too.

Perfect Winter Vacation

Spent the entire Christmas Week in the Mountains. had a great time. The Sites on the side of the hill were not ideal. Very hard to level and the sewer was up hill. other than that the park was great! there are some sites that are flat and would be better for RV camping.

Davis Mountains State Park

Lovely wide open spaces in a valley. The park has hiking, a nature center, horse trails, and we were lucky enough to go on a ranger-led hike highlighting the history of the area including Native Americans and the fort. My husband was definitely feeling the elevation here, so make sure to drink and eat enough. The campground is wide open but sites are huge so you don’t feel penned in. They have fire bans sometimes so talk to the host before lighting anything. They supply water, hookups, even a shower house.

State Park with history & wildlife

Pretty valley with hills and canyons, vegetation is mostly shrubs. Came here for the birding and hiking. There were a few ranger programs going on while we were here but didn’t catch any of them. Basic tent campsites are far apart which was great, but not shady (at least not by my raised-in-the-northeast standards). Quails running right by my tent made this especially memorable. Everything clean and well-maintained.

Great hiking around

This little park was very nice. Nothing fancy about it at all- but the spots are pretty spacious and the views are gorgeous. It was a great place to rest our head for the night. We did some great sunset and sunrise hikes-- just make sure you pack plenty of water and get your hiking done early in the day- it was very hot here! Also-- there are scorpions, so keep your eye out!

Amazing remote park

Even as remote as this place is, it is still very popular. We stayed two nights hoping to see the stars, but the weather did not cooperate. I hope to go another time. Also, despite having metal fire rings, we were unable to have a campfire, so the cold mornings and nights were not as comfortable as they could have been. We did make it up to the summit and got to take in the miles of views from up there. Definitely one of my favorite parks.

Good sites, lots of shade trees, nice high elevation

Beautiful location, most sites have shade and/or trees. Elevation is around 5000', so temps are nice and cool (for West Texas). Some nice hiking in the park, including primitive areas & Ft. Davis overlook. Excellent birding/butterfly opportunities - there are two bird feeding stations with blinds in the campground. Great staging location for riding Ft. Davis scenic loop, McDonald Observatory hill climb, etc. One or two decent MTB trails in the park, Prude Ranch trail system about 5mi away. Sites can be reserved at TX Parks/Wildlife website. Full services a few miles away in Ft. Davis.