Henderson, TEXAS
Most Recent Henderson Camping Reviews
Very enjoyable

We visited here for a weekend get away with friends and their families. We all have young kids and had a blast, playing at the sandy beach on the lake and just enjoying some play time around the campsites

Nice but Noisy

There's a power plant over there. Didn't know that when I booked my site.

Nice short distance hiking trail, I enjoyed quite a bit.  The sites were clean, well kept. The bathrooms were also clean (Always a good thing to have!) Lots of fishing boats, and plenty of room for parking for the day.

I'd camp there again.

Very pretty

We had a good time here, nice campsite, pretty treeline right behind our campsite. The raccoons are a riot though. They all came out at once and kind of pushed us into the tent. They weren't aggressive or anything, but you know. We went out on a boat on the lake, that was fun. The lake isn't very big though, but it was still a fun time. Make sure to bring a watch, they didnt have any at the little shop ( I was scared to bring my phone)! I will say though that it was kind of pricey? This was a while ago and we stayed 2 nights, I remember it being like 60$. We had the water and electric campsite. Nothing special and only me and the boyfriend (with texas liscence plates). Should not have been that much imo, and I've told people and they think it's crazy too. Just make sure to check the website before you drive all the way out there and spend way too much money. It is pretty though and peacful.

You’ll Enjoy Every Second Of It

Absolutely stunning Texas state park located along the Texas Forest Trail that showcases the rolling hills of pine trees that dubbed this region the name “Pineywoods” of East Texas. Clean lake with available kayaking and canoeing, and even paddle boats. RV hookups or tent campgrounds.

A hidden jewel in deep East Texas

Ensconced in the deep Piney Woods of Davy Crockett National Forest lies the site of the original Franciscan Mission to the Caddo Indians. The local tribe’s word for friend was tejas (tay-hoss) meaning friend. The camping sites are all situated in the woods scattered among the hills above the Neches River Valley. They do not have sites for extremely large diesel pushers, but 32 foot trailers or RVs fit nicely.

The location has Texas state park normal accoutrements like fire rings, tables, lantern posts, showers, bathrooms and new front office with interesting rain harvesting equipment to view. Serene and beautiful area with hiking trails of easy to moderate level of difficulty with a historic walk to the site of the original Camino Real also known as the Old San Antonio Road.

Nearby you have historic markers every 3 miles or so on the current King’s Highway with Caddoan Indian Mounds to visit, sites of early settlers, including the original Rice Family Dog Run Cabin on site. There is a lovely lake for perch and bass fishing and playgrounds for young children.

It is favorite park of mine to visit and I return every few years.

Basic but everything you need

Very basic with full 50 amp service and Direct TV.  Bathrooms very clean and air conditioned.   Level gravel lots and quiet.  Plenty of space between sites.

Rain or shine

I visited this park on a trip with my field botany class through my university. If you’re interested in ecology or botany, this is a great site to visit! It was quite wet for much of our stay, but the region was still absolutely stunning. The campsites were nice and the facilities were well maintained. I will definitely be returning here again!

Options Galore!

This is my favorite state park in Texas! Lots of options for all kinds of campers. For camping, lots of different sites available for RVs/Campers, Tents, etc. some along the lake, some in the woods, and also cabins and shelters available! Hiking options vary from a nature stroll, to some more serious up-downs through the hills on the outskirts of the campground. Bring your friends, family, and pets, there is truly something for everyone here, even kayak and canoe rentals at the lake!

Peaceful, shady, beautiful lake

We have been to Tyler State Park many years. The spring time with the wildflowers and blooming dogwoods is wonderful. The lake is wonderful there are kayak, canoe and paddleboat rentals. Campsites are shaded by towering pines.

Excellent park

Stayed here three times and each time was excellent . They had activities for the kids. The campgrounds were clean and the sites were pull thru so easy to park and enjoy. I will be coming back to stay

Not a campsite

This is the parking lot for a shut down Ryan’s Steakhouse. This is NOT a campsite by any means. Look elsewhere.

quiet and very primitive

There's not much to this campground, although it is very beautiful with enormous loblolly pines. This is a primitive campsite. There's no water, no electricity, not bathrooms, etc. Just an area you can use to set up tents or hammocks. We met a nice older fella who said he comes there every day and builds a fire at dusk, stays for a little bit, then leaves.

We bikes from the Ratcliff Recreational Area and we had to cache water.

Piney

A few miles from arriving..you can start to smell the pine trees!

Nice lake for kayaking but the lake is small.

Great trees and scenery. A few nice hiking/ bike trails.

Nice place to stay, especially if you like trains!

We stayed here during a spring break. Road bikes and took the steam train. Cooked over a fire. Had fun.

Great trails!

Sites are good but trails for biking and hiking are great!!

Family Fun Camping

This park is very clean and maintained. All the people that work there are so nice and helpful. Full hookups, pull though the pond (66 ac)is no wake great for learning to kayak, water board, canoeing and paddle boats. A lot of walking and hiking trails.

Excellent

This is a beautifully maintained and family oriented themed RV park. Loads of activities for kiddos and very relaxing for adults. Sites are back ins and have beautiful scenery in every window of your RV. The park has tiny houses along the pond to rent and are spacious. Water park is above and beyond! Fireworks for the 4th were beautiful over the pond! Highly recommend this park !!

The water is beautiful, never crowded, camping is eh

Tere is a natural fed spring that is clear and beautiful. There's BBQ pit area and picnic tables. Cell Signal is almost non-existent. Sandy but still a lot of fun for the family.

There's RV camping and I believe tent camping also. We normally make a day trip as Its only a couple hours from home

Piney Forest
  • Hills in Texas …Nawh
  • Some good hiking..you can work up a sweat, loop D is the most challenging
  • Dense shady forest
  • Fire wood can be purchased at the park or at the gas station right outside the park
  • Small lake with a couple of lit fishing piers
  • Awesome park store that rents paddle boats and canoes

Ever have the feeling you are being watched especially at night. At Tyler State Park you may well be. Take a walk at night on the park road and shine your flashlight into the trees. A glowing pairs of eyes will be staring back at you. It is the Raccoons living in the trees. There are smart and persistent, so don't leave any food coolers outside unless it has a lock. They helped themselves to 2 lbs of fajita beef and another 1 lb of chicken. Also be prepared to jump when opening the park trash dumpster.

We went with some friends who also pulled their pop-up camper. We picked Sites #14 and #15 because they were connected and the kids had a lot room between sites to play. We love the lit fishing piers, after the kids are in bed, can indulge in some "me" time with a nice cigar, a couple of beers and a folding chair.

One of our favorite parks

I should mention that my husband is from Canada. He was very unenthusiastic about camping in Texas. Well Tyler State Park made him change his mind! He LOVED the large trees, said it was the closest he'd felt to home in quite some time. We love the variety of types of sites they offer. Lake front, group, hike in, cabin, they have something for everyone! Only downfall is they book so quickly.

Nice state park

Clean bathrooms … good spacing between camps … beautiful

Quiet Seclusion and Untouched Nature

Campgrounds offer electric and water, you’ll want a fan in the summer. Heavy tree cover means little air movement, even right on the water. Little popularity from the locals means this place is quiet and serene. Wildlife can include alligators so watch your little ones! The Spanish Moss and dense tree cover makes you feel like you’re on the bayou!

Great, quiet

We would camp here again, not full hook ups but the staff was the best we have ever runn across. Very helpful in every aspect. Swim area, alot of trails. Quiet campground

Excellent something for everyone

They have sites for all campers,tents etc. Full hook-ups to water only. Paddle boats to rent. Swimming hole, several lighted fishing docks. boat ramps. You and your family will love this park

Screened Shelter - BEST EVER! and oddly, no mosquitoes !?

There are many options to camp at this state park. There’s RV sites, tent sites (both primitive and “cushy”), cabins, cottages and screened shelters. my past experience with screened shelters were always dusty, dank, spider-filled shacks that I would only store my cooler and belongings in (tightly sealed) but these at Martin Creek were IMMACULATE to say the least! They seem cob-webby from the outside but once inside, the concrete floor is smoother up the edges of the walls about 2.5’, reducing entry of insects via cracks in the joints of floor and wall. The park employees vacuum these areas, as observed when I passed others that had recently vacated. The rafters in these shelters were spaced out far enough for me to hang my hammock. 4 people slept inside without air mattresses or camp pads and slept wonderfully (flat surfaces are good for our spines sometimes) not a big in sight. There is an electrical outlet inside as well as a light, and there is an outlet outside as well. Small lock on inside, watr spigot and doIble lantern hook nearby as well as a wooden/metal picnic table (good condition). I slept in Shelter #6 and it was a few yards away from the water’s edge. Great views of a small lilly-pad laced bay and we caught 7 catfish using normal nightcrawlers as bait. Fried them up for lunch the next day and they tasted like heaven! But, everything tastes better when you’re camping. We had also set up 4 tents around the area (not disturbing local flora/fauna) and we slept to the deafening croaks of frogs. Only 1 raccoon came upon our camp area to a spot where someone had thrown a corn cob, otherwise, we take all the necessary steps to avoid crossing paths with those relentless nighttime furry bandits. Shelters 7-9 are also located in great areas of the lake nearby, there is the power plants across the lake and for some reason, we like to believe that it was the reason we had ZERO mosquitoes! Many house flies and the non-biting ants were everywhere but not to the point of insanity… they list this ant as an issue on their website I do believe. I’d take this shelter over a hotel stay ANY TIME!

Nice camping with small lake

This pretty park is beautifully treed with tall pines. The camp areas nearby the lake they are more open. Farther away, they have more trees. There are regular camp sites, shelters and cabins and great hiking trails of 1-5 miles or so, one built by the CCC. There is a small store where you can buy things you might have forgotten at home, plus they rent paddleboards, kayaks and peddle boats or you can bring your own. The swimming area is near the store, there are also a couple of docks to fish off of. The lake is small and no-wake.

Has the amenities

Campground is available for RVs, tents, and large groups. There are showers and toilets available. Water/electric/sewer hook ups are also available. The grounds have a fence that indicate it is a private area. It borders Lake Hawkins, has a boat dock, fishing pier, and an improved swimming area. Sites are somewhat private but the tent side is frequented by local groups such as scouts or churches. There is a walking path that is called a trail by the park, it is mostly an access service road that a golf cart can drive on. The are is popular for daytime use in the summer because of the improved swimming area. There is a day use fee, per person, and a camping fee. The grounds are county owned and operated. Dogs are welcome.

good family camping

great place to family camp