About Mission Tejas State Park
Mission Tejas State Park is located in Texas
6 Reviews of Mission Tejas State Park
Awesome park with a lot of history!

My girls and I loved hiking on one of two parks in Texas that you can WALK on the El Camino Royal!!! Great playground, facilities and staff!

A hidden jewel in deep East Texas

Ensconced in the deep Piney Woods of Davy Crockett National Forest lies the site of the original Franciscan Mission to the Caddo Indians. The local tribe’s word for friend was tejas (tay-hoss) meaning friend. The camping sites are all situated in the woods scattered among the hills above the Neches River Valley. They do not have sites for extremely large diesel pushers, but 32 foot trailers or RVs fit nicely.

The location has Texas state park normal accoutrements like fire rings, tables, lantern posts, showers, bathrooms and new front office with interesting rain harvesting equipment to view. Serene and beautiful area with hiking trails of easy to moderate level of difficulty with a historic walk to the site of the original Camino Real also known as the Old San Antonio Road.

Nearby you have historic markers every 3 miles or so on the current King’s Highway with Caddoan Indian Mounds to visit, sites of early settlers, including the original Rice Family Dog Run Cabin on site. There is a lovely lake for perch and bass fishing and playgrounds for young children.

It is favorite park of mine to visit and I return every few years.

Rain or shine

I visited this park on a trip with my field botany class through my university. If you’re interested in ecology or botany, this is a great site to visit! It was quite wet for much of our stay, but the region was still absolutely stunning. The campsites were nice and the facilities were well maintained. I will definitely be returning here again!

Nice state park

Clean bathrooms … good spacing between camps … beautiful

Historic gem

More than meets the eye here. Texas was founded on this spot and the Caddo natives lived in the area. They are putting in a bigger interpretive center soon to commemorate the importance of this region. I would like to return to see it and do more hiking here. They have expanded the hiking trails recently. Short drive to the beautiful town of Nacogdoches and its lovely gardens.

A Great Park with A lot of History

We stopped at Mission Tejas on the way back to Corpus Christi for only one night, but I wish we had stayed longer.

The campsites are a good size and fairly standard. Each site has a fire ring, water, a table, and a tent pad. The bathrooms are within easy walking distance.

The Mission that the park is named after is right next to the bathrooms. You can go inside it and there are info signs next to it that talk about the Mission's history and the importance of the Old San Antonio road.

We did a few hikes in the park. All were well taken care of and well marked. We visited the CCC baths and then the location of the old fire tower.

Near the current entrance, there is an old homestead that was moved from it's original location to the park that you can explore.

Mission Tejas was under a bit of construction when we were there. They are getting a new entrance and HQ that will have a museum and larger gift shop.

The Rangers there were amazing. One came by and invited us to an archery event the next day, but we told him we would be leaving early the next day to return him.

He said that he would meet us before we left to show us some things. Our kids were very excited.

So, in the morning, he showed us some skulls, animal skins, and a few dead animals. He also told us some stories about the park. It was a great way to finish our trip.