The best GROUP camping near
Cowan , TENNESSEE

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Cowan Camping Reviews
Nice park, friendly staff, lots of trails to hike and a Japanese Garden

We are in site 80 for 5 weeks for the holidays. The campground was largely empty during the week. AT&T coverage is poor at best with only 1 Bar and 0.2-0.6 MB/s. I use AT&T’s Mark the Spot app and ping this location every time we stay here. Hopefully, some day they will improve service here. T-Mobile had 1 Bar but 4 MB/s. There is no WiFi. We had marginal satellite coverage at our site with the trees bare and there would likely not be much at most of the other sites either due to the heavy tree cover. We were however, able to get 29 OTA DTV channels with our omni antenna. We did have 50A service at our site, but I don’t believe they all have it yet.

Our GPS(RV Life app) always indicates that you turn from Monte Sano Blvd onto Denison Ave, but don’t go that way, very narrow. Go one street past Denison to Nolens Ave, which goes straight into the park.

The sewer receptacle connections are not threaded, so you'll have to weigh down your sewer elbow to prevent it from coming out of the receptacle.

Cloudland Canyon REPEAT!

Great sites, and close walks to waterfalls, Cherokee Fall super close.

Ok for an overnight

This park is very run down. If it weren't for how nice the lady was and the super sweet dogs, I'd give it two stars.

Pros: -Easy to get to if you come in/out from 99, and not terribly difficult if you come the other way (through the state park entrance) -Sites are big and even -Only a few minutes away from town where you can get groceries, find restaurants, and a couple big-rig friendly gas stations. -Full hookups -Not crowded, so it's very quiet. There's a train track nearby, but it didn't wake me at night -Free firewood! -Online reservation system works well -Had to adjust my reservation because of engine trouble, and was able to call and make the change with no difficulty

Cons: -Multiple RVs that look like they've been broke down there for years -Weird random toilet and a bunch of junk in the check-in station -No one AT the check-in station, and with no cell service I just had to sit there for 20 minutes for someone to come around, so I definitely don't suggest staying without a reservation (I had one) -No service for TMobile and almost none for Verizon (was told at&t works, but I can't verify)

Things that could've just been me: -Couldn't get the water to work (I've never used an underground water connection before) -Couldn't get my furnace to work (again, could have been me, but it worked at the site before and the one after 🤷‍♀️) so I had to use a space heater and pay an extra $2.5/day. It was still freezing at night

Things that might bother other people: -There's a few large dogs allowed to roam off leash. Didn't bother me in the slightest, I love dogs and they were so, so sweet and knew all the basic commands. Very well mannered and playful but they'll bark when you drive by. If you have dogs that aren't friendly to other dogs or if you're afraid of even friendly ones, this probably isn't the place for you. -No laundry, public showers, or restrooms. Not an issue for me as I have all that in my rig, but if you don't it could be a problem if you plan to stay long term.

All in all, I'd definitely stay there again. It's not the Ritz or anything but it's fine if you're just passing through for a night or two.

Decent little place to stop

Came through traveling from FL to OH for just one night. Easy checkin, helpful staff. Site fit our 44ft 5th wheel just fine. Pretty clean, easy to get to, easy to navigate, and close to gas, stores etc. Only thing I'd suggest is requesting a site not under water. Many had standing water. Ours was ok though.

Great Camping for all types of campers

I’ve used my hammock in their “hammocks only” sites and I’ve done the hike-in backcountry sites and love this place. As a resident of the Franklin area, it’s super close to get away for the weekend.

Beautiful mountain top camping

Monte Sano is one of our favorite places to get away for the weekend. The staff is super friendly!!! Nice campsites, clean bathhouses, and campground usually stays pretty quiet at night. Beautiful night views of city lights from several camp spots. Park also has a nice Japanese garden, planetarium, hike / bike trails, and scenic overlooks. Just minutes from downtown Huntsville!!!

Beautiful clean state park

We really enjoyed Rock Island State Park. The campgrounds are easily accessible and roomy. We were there only couple days but would love to go back and visit some of the cute shops and ice cream trailer at the entrance later. It is probably lots of fun in the summer with the huge beach. We plan to visit again soon. FYI there are some sites with sewer. I didn’t realize this when I reserved. They have great dump station but prefer to have that taken care of before we pull out.

Very pretty park

Very pretty park for a weekend getaway. Good pads, but short, very few can accommodate 30’. Several good hiking trails.

An exercise in packing

The Walls of Jehrico trail offers a handful of first-come/first-serve primitive campsites set adjacent to two separate water sources (streams).  Any equipment must be carried in and out which makes for a perfect backpacking experience.

Your campsite offers little privacy due to trail proximity but that should not distract from a wonderful experience.

There are minimal places to stock up on necessities along the road so be sure and come equipped.  There is also no cell service so make sure you plan accordingly and have an emergency system in place.

Primative sites offer lots of space, but little privacy

Our site was massive, but was situated right next to park entrance and major hiking thoroughfare.

Our site had a place to park and a fire ring that was full to the rim of coals and half burnt logs. It didn't take long to clear it out, but the pit was extremely muddy and lighting a fire meant a ton of smoke. No picnic table here.

The best sites were along the ridge, but are divided into AB sites. So you are sharing basics amenities with a neighbor. This site design seems to be suited for families or groups, but if you are wanting a site with a view you are kinda stuck. Not all of the improved sites are suitable for tents.

Their staff is A+ if you have never been, call ahead and book over the phone. The staff know this campground well and can steer you in the right direction every time.

The lower score comes from the park being rough around some of the edges. The CCC museum is a small shack, not really worth your time. The Northern Alabama Japanese Tea Garden is a bit of a head scratcher to say the least. There is a disc golf course the plows through the middle of it and the trails (while peaceful) lead you off to the main road.

We had booked two nights here, but decided to move on after only one night.

(Sadly didn't have time to take pictures, but the leaves were beautiful.)

Leaves were in peak color, the temperature was 65 all day and night due to wind and was a really pleasant