Benton , TENNESSEE

Most Recent Benton Camping Reviews
Nice little hideaway

You could pretty much drive by this place without giving it a second thought. I am glad I didn't. We got there late after 1pm. I was afraid that we were out of luck. But we found a nice spot right on the water. It was raining and the temps were threatening to drop but we wanted one last camping trip before winter. I am glad we chose this spot. A little rocky for the tents but we made it work. I did notice some much better spots for tents. Some sites were big, one of them maybe even big enough for a small gathering, but some were really small. It would absolutely NOT ba a good location for a class A motorhome but maybe some of the smaller class C's could get settled in there I saw a small camper trailer sitting comfortable. I would not like to try to get a larger camper or 5th wheel in there, way too tight to turn around. All of the sites had solid packed ground so it would not be hard to level whatever rig you use. Drive right up to the camp site better yet use a truck bed camper or tent. We brought a porta-potty and tent for it and were glad we did. Bathrooms are on the property but are just glorified outhouses the smell was not the most pleasant part of the trip by far. To sum it up we WILL be back but I will be getting there earlier in the day.

Great Campground

We love camping at Fort Mountain. Its usually a good bit cooler due to the elevation, and the private wooded campsites make tent camping in Georgia’s summer heat much more enjoyable. Good hiking and things to do nearby.

Scenic, but always crowded

Amicalola Falls is well known for a reason: the view is truly gorgeous. But it is always insane with crowds of people. It makes for a really slow going making your way up, and there’s very little peace to be had when you’re there. It’s tough enough to enjoy under those circumstances, but when you note that many are also not wearing masks, you start to get skittish.

A beautiful week.

We spent a week in Fort Mountain and we can’t say enough about how wonderful it was. The sites are beautiful and feel very private. The facilities are spotless, and the staff at the visitor’s center/store were terrific. The overlooks were spectacular: absolutely beautiful.

Short weekend trip

Went here for a weekend hiking and hanging out. Did know what expect and was positively surprised. Large sides, well spaced. Many hikes right off the campground and a nice waterfall. We will come back

Amazing campground with amazing hikes and views!

Had a great time with family. Ellijay Apple Barn isn’t far from the campsite. Highly recommend stopping for some apples and some yummy snacks! Great for children for sure.

Excellent Journey Park

This is a KOA that is top of the line. Although it is a “Journey” Park, meaning usually it’s meant for short stays and traveling through, it is a park many would want to stay longer. They have great signage and it was easy to find the park.

We used the KOA app to sign up for a reservation.

They have RV Sites - full and partial hook ups, Cabins, Tent Sites, and lots of activities. The park is clean and well kept. It is quiet at night even being near an interstate. RV Sites are mostly level, there were a few that were not as level.

You are led to your site by staff at the park. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Each RV site has a table and fire ring, some do not have sewer hookups but they use a waitlist system to get full hookups. This was a bummer since we paid for full hookups and we’re currently working, no one called to let us know- we were notified upon checking in. Fortunately we were only visiting the area for 6 days for work, and we know how to boondock well.

They are very pro-pet walking, with very convenient waste disposal and frequent pet waste stations.

Cellular service for AT&T and TMobile we’re both excellent.

The park is full every night and has lots of people in and out daily.

Georgia State Parks Rock!

Having only two nights here left a great impression. One of F D Roosevelt’s Civilian Conservation Corps masterworks so important to this parks existence that they have a museum on site describing in great detail the transformation of this particular valley. As with all of the Ga. state parks I’ve had the pleasure to visit the campground is immaculate. Lots for the kiddos here with a man made lake and paddle boats and canoes for rent, a miniature golf course, and a creek that runs through the campground that seemed the biggest attraction for a great many of the kids. Hiking trails are exceptional for the adults. We chose a very strenuous trail that delivered on the promise of a beautiful vista looking down on the park and campground. We were there in the last week of July 2019 before Covid so much I describe might be in shutdown mode right now.

Lovely find!!

Wasn’t expecting much at first, but ended up being pleasantly surprised and happy I stayed here. I can easily say this is one of my favorite campgrounds on my road trip so far. Mostly because it offers so much for free. Plenty of camp spots as well as the ability to park/camp right next to the water. (There’s no Water or Electric hookups) Also, not a lot of places selling firewood nearby. But there is a gas station called Rocky Spring Mart towards the “Cuzzin RV Park” that sells some.

There’s a large boat ramp, and the park itself is perfect for fun water activities. So bring your kayak or paddle boards! There’s even a swim area.

There are flushing toilets and 1 shower stall per bathroom with decent pressure and hot water. They are cleaned daily. (If you’re a tall person you might feel a bit exposed in the shower due to the height of the doors)

There is a park manager that keeps track of every new camper. He asks a few questions and gives you a list of the rules. He’s kind, and will gently tell you if you’re violating said rules.

Speaking of which THE PARK/CAMPGROUND IS CLOSED ON SUNDAYS.

Overall, I’ve had a fun and relaxing time here, and would definitely come again if I’m ever in Tennessee again.

Heaven on earth

This place is amazing. The trail isn’t really a trail but it’s so worth it. if you enter through gee creek rd it’s only about half a mile to the top. It is an off beat path and there are no markings. The key is to keep going up. it’s rough and the path is off road for sure. It is so worth it. Take it easy and take breaks. Also there are several natural springs as you make your way up so depending on rain it can get muddy. Def one of my favorite hikes in Tennessee.