The best RV SITES camping near
Ninety Six , SOUTH CAROLINA

Cyber Monday Gift Extended Try Pro Free for 6 Months

Most Recent Ninety Six Camping Reviews
Spacious sites

A lot of the sites are on the waters edge and offers beautiful views. The red clay was horrible though, especially with a white dog and after it rained. We had site 145, beautiful views but difficult to maneuver into the site and access the water, but we made it work. We would return though. Site 144 and 143 had gorgeous views of the sunset…I’ve heard 108 and 77 are prime spots. Be aware of booking a site and how you’re awning will face! Bathhouse is about 1/2 mile away, so too far to walk when you have to go. Not many bathhouses either so there was a line for the shower (only 2 shower stalls and 3 toilets for at least 75 campsites with the tent sites included). Only 2 single access dump stations for the entire park, so there was a line of 8-10 campers at both on a Sunday morning!

Dangerous Camp Site

We’re new campers. We’ve only visited state parks so far. This was our first KOA stay. This place was clean and the owners are constantly working and really nice. They showed us to our campsite and brought firewood to our site when we bought it in the store. They had a cute little general store and a play set for the littles. There is a pool for warmer weather. I only gave this campground two stars because of the location of our site. I camp with my two small children and the location of this site was simply unacceptable. Even if I was alone with my husband, I would have been terrified of this site. It was SO CLOSE to a main highway that I could reach out the back window and touch it with a broom! There were no trees or anything between our site and the road. There was no guard rail. If a car ran off the road, it would hit our camper. I didn’t sleep the whole time and wanted to leave early. Interior sites were okay. We won’t go back.

Busy this time of year

This time of year (hunting season) was full of bigger rigs and generators. The few spots that weren’t taken when we first got here eventually got scooped up by about 20 Boy Scouts. To say the least this campground was loud and crowded with not much to see or do. $5 for the night with a pay box but I never saw any rangers coming through to check. Toilets were clean but no water source Every campsite did have its own fire ring and picnic table.

Great stop if you’re looking for amenities

Stayed for one night, the tent sights were flooded so they put us in an RV spot. The fire pit was clean and ready for use. The bathrooms were spotless, you could eat in there if you’re into that sort of thing. Over all nice places

Great Experience!

This was so cool! It’s a primitive, tucked in the woods spot on the lake. The camp sites are wonderfully spaced out. We stayed in sites you had to park and walk to, but the walk was very short. Be prepared- bring lanterns to navigate the dark forest. Also, be prepared to see people walking the trail next to the camp sites during the day. This was a great spot for a little weekend trip! Great fishing, beautiful view, and an exciting experience!

Sites have great size

This is a beautiful place, with great sites, that have a good space between each other, this way you can have some privacy!

Nice and Private

I got primitive campsite number 7 Was happy I was only one in my area so I had some privacy Pretty lake view Grate fire no fires outside of grate

Friendly, clean, gravel and grass, basic campground

Easy access off of highway.  Great for an overnight stay.  Our site was not a good one for more than one night due to very muddy.  Other sites have nicer gravel area to set up under your awning if desired.  Ours did not.  Our travel trailer is 38' so unfortunately, we had to unhitch our truck.  Since we are just staying one night, we wanted to stay hitched up, especially since it's been raining since last night, with continued rain forecast for another day.  On the positive side, it's a nice little campground with very friendly and helpful staff.  The bath house has two showers and four toilets, all very clean.  The clean and well lit laundry room has three washers and dryers, which I appreciated very much.  The office has a little store attached with a variety of items.  They have a nice pavilion where they had live music last night, which was very nice. The campground is about 7 miles east from a Pilot Travel Center to fuel up using your EFS card.

Nice Campground About to Get Better!

We camped at Baker Creek (relatively local to us at only 30 miles away) for the first time 7-9 October 2020. We went for kayaking and mountain biking as well as just some time away. Baker Creek is off the main body of Clarks Hill Lake/Lake Strom Thurmond and as such is much quieter than some of the other campgrounds (e.g. Elijah Clark).

Pros:

• A smallish campground with many sites on the water or at least water-accessible.
  • Clean bathhouses
  • Super friendly Rangers and Campground hosts.
  • Quiet on land and from boat traffic noise
  • Comparatively inexpensive

Cons:

• Showing its age, it needs some work. Appears a bit run down with erosion evident on many sites.
  • No fire rings although fires are permitted (previous campers have built makeshift/ad hoc fire rings using the plentiful rocks in the area).
  • Can seem cramped with 50 sites in arelatively small area.
  • No T-Mobile call service in the area.

The Good News (Renovations!):

Speaking with the Campground Host, and later one of the rangers, here are some developments about Baker Creek SP that will definitely be of interest.

1. The park is closing the end of October 2020 as usual but is not projected to open in 2021 until 1 May once renovations are complete.

2. Renovations to the campground include modernizing the sites which included reducing the number of sites from 50 to 30, increasing the size of the sites, installing 50A outlets and fire rings at a minimum.

3. Once the park reopens, it will be open YEAR ROUND.

We will definitely be returning after they reopen and I'll post a new review.

Overall, the best state park in SC

We travel and camp at many places across South Carolina but this was our first visit to Calhoun Falls State Park. What a gem! Beautiful scenery, large, spacious lakeside campsites. We enjoyed privacy, lake access from our campsite, and spectacular sunset views over the lake. Rangers and staff at park store are friendly and helpful. We can’t wait to go back.