Aiken, SOUTH CAROLINA
Most Recent Aiken Camping Reviews
Beautiful View

Nice campground & beautiful lake. We launched our kayak from campsite.

My favorite SC camp

Quiet, peaceful camp on beautiful Lake Murray. RV and tent sites. Clean bathhouses.

Beautiful views!

My family loves this campground! It’s clean and has a Great Lake to swim in.

Favorite State Park

Sooooo many beautiful campsites to choose from! Lots of trees and spaced apart. We camp here almost every other weekend during the warm months and once a weekend during the cooler months.

A unique camping experience

Goat island can only be accessed by boat but with 5 separate spots it’s a pretty neat island to camp at. There are picnic tables and fire pits at each site, but no other accommodations. There are rarely any other campers there, but when there are they tend to leave trash at their sites. The light pollution is at a minimum for the lake so it’s beautiful and very secluded at night. There are small, but clear beaches by some of the sites suitable for beaching a pontoon or other boat, but no docks. There are squirrels and birds on the island but I haven’t seen any other wildlife there.

Amazing lakeside RV site

This SP is only open March to October but it’s hosts took great pride in clearing the sites for the season. I parked my travel trailer in site 95 and it was a great site. We were able to drag water floats and things down to the waters edge outside our site. The bath house is not new by any means but everything you need is there, keeping in mind that this park is more for water sports and recreation than a resort. The roads are a little rutted on some sides due to washout but the park is a great spot to camp. No fire rings or grills in EVERY site but there were some man-made fire pits. The trails on the park were not marked at all except for the Nature Trail in the campground. Fallen trees had destroyed the other ones but they were bike trails. This is a great and relaxing place for a camp. Spent 3 nights here and visited other state parks close by that were more expensive and less maintained than this one. Check-in is 2pm and check-out is 12 noon. I would definitely come back here again!

Not a pleasant stay

Campground had some lovely views, some sites with lake access. Water and electrical hookups at most sites. RVs and tents share same area. Bright lights were burned all night, no need in complaining to camp hosts they burned strings of bright LED lights all night too. Large groups allowed, across from our tent there was a party that included 13 children. Generally noisy, lots of traffic moving at all hours. Bathhouses well maintained. Maybe okay for RV but no sleep if using a tent.

Weekend

Stayed here this past weekend and what a wonderful tent site! Slept in the hammock and woke up to a beautiful view!

Quiet!

Clean camp sites. Abundance of wildlife. The out houses & vault toilets are in good shape

Clean

Very clean & several beaches to swim at

Unorganized

We arrived on a Saturday morning to reserve a walkin site that was available online. Paid for the site at the office only to arrive at the site and see that it was already taken, along with all the others.  Went back to the office to inform them and then were told the ranger would go check on it. Drove back to the office an hour later to be told that the site was actually the people who were already there, even though it was available in the computer. Offered a $7 refund and a different site not next to the water, like we wanted. It was poor communication all the way around and the campground was overly crowded more than the allotted cars per campsite at multiple sites. Archery activity was canceled for that day, but the people in the office had no idea why. Not on my list of places to go back to.

Positives for the park, sunsets over the lake were gorgeous and the bathrooms were nice.

Wasn't for us

We are more of a state park kind of campers and these spots were very close together. Great for passing through but you won't see me there again. Internet was spotty at best.

Camping within history

From the main entrance is a winding wooded road to the main store. There you find friendly and helpful staff, parking for vehicles and campers, a store with all your basic needs and other little goodies. Firewood and propane are also available. Inside the store they also have a mini library you can borrow from and next to that a nature area with a live snake and turtles. Our site was easy to find, level and best of all near the waters edge. The kiddos enjoyed playing putt putt, the playground and the beach area. There is also plenty of history to see, experience and learn about.

Great campground with beautiful lake

Really great time at this campground. Sites are very large with plenty of room between sites. Some lake front, lake view and woods. Site 64 was huge with plenty of room for our two golden retrievers with lake view and woods. Kayaked around the area, water was nice and dogs loved swimming. It was in the high 90s so the shaded site helped. Bath houses were clean and centralized throughout the campground. Everyone was very friendly. Have a large beach area and playgrounds and picnic areas too. Great place to bike, will bring mine next time. Good hiking trails around the park.

Camping at its best

Gorgeous island and campground. This is by far a destination of choice. Waterfront sites, hiking trails, wildlife, boating and biking. The sites are spacious and so well maintained. The park is pristine. Will go again and again.

Island Time!!!

Easy drive into park. Most sites gravel with a blacktop driveway. They are all good size. Tent sites all have tent pads. Clean bath house. Boat ramp. Sites on the water make it great to keep your boat or kayak at your site. Fun, family park. Great fishing. The camper cabins are great. If you need a bed and air or heat, it’s the way to go.

Peaceful

We have stayed at this campground a couple times over the last 3 years. It is a fantastic place for families to go camping, you will see deer, you can go fishing, swimming hiking. It has a little something for everyone.

Ranger Review: éclipse Equinox Hoodie Cover Up at Baker Creek SP Campground

Campground Review:

Baker Creek is a seasonal campground, and is the place to go if you love the water and love to spend your days floating lazily in the South Carolina Midlands.  At night, if it's not cloudy, you'll get to gaze at the constellations in the gorgeous night sky.

The sites are close together, which we certainly noticed during the July 4th holiday, but at times when it's not so crowded, I'm not sure it would matter. We snagged the best sites in terms of privacy (88-96), which are on the water and have no sites across the road from them. We had to switch our site (91) with a friend (89) because we were hammock camping and sites 90-93 don't have many trees. As such, those sites also get hit by sun most of the day, although they have gorgeous views of the water.

The majority of the campers during the July 4th weekend were in RVs, and we noticed there is less consideration towards tent campers with regards to noise and light. I guess the RVers think everyone is inside their campers and therefore can't hear them driving their car at 3 A.M., starting their boats at 5 A.M., or leaving a bright security light on all night.

There are many swimming areas around the campsites, and they are shallow enough near-shore that kids can spend, literally, the entire day playing in the water. Bring inflatables, kayaks, boats, and canoes!

An odd thing about the sites is that there are charcoal grills, but no fire rings! Many makeshift fire rings have been constructed using the large granite rocks that can be found in the lake, though.

The bathroom, while old, is kept clean by the camp hosts who stay there the entire season. Hand soap is provided but no hot air or paper towels are there to dry hands.

The trash dumpsters are a fair distance away (you'll need to drive if you have a bag of trash) and no recycling facilities are provided.

I've read online reviews that mention how old and run down Baker Creek is. I disagree. It's a beautiful SC State Park on a gorgeous lake. If your tastes run more upscale, Hickory Knob State Resort Park is right across the water and might suit you better.

-------------------------------------------------

Product Review:

As a Ranger for The Dyrt, I get products to test from time to time - today I am testing the éclipse Equinox Hoodie Cover Up https://eclipseglove.com/collections/frontpage/products/equinox-hoodie-beach-cover-up

The éclipse line of products spoke to me because I love to be in the sun all day, and I'm great about applying the first round of sunscreen, but after swimming and chillaxing, I get too lazy to put on more. I don't want to get out of the sun, but I just know I'm burning, especially on my chest and shoulders. Usually, I'll put on a big, long-sleeved shirt to try to hide from the rays.

éclipse makes cover ups with a special type of fabric that increases evaporative cooling and is also UPF 50+. But the sides of the shirt and undersides of the arms are open, allowing airflow where the sun isn't hitting. There is a front pocket and inside that is a cell phone pocket, which is a perfect size for making sure it doesn't slide out.

I found it was also a good shirt to wear in the hot summer evenings while camping, because it provides mosquito protection without being stifling.

I got compliments and questions about it when I wore it to Baker Creek. The neck is high to keep the sun off delicate neck skin, but that makes it not as fashionable.  Another option that might look more flowy and cute is the Aurora Shawl

My husband took the éclipse Adjustable Neck Gaiter

on his day-long canoeing trip and it blocks the skin that a shirt doesn't normally cover while still cooling the neck. It's versatile, and can be worn in many different ways

The éclipse products are easy to clean and will be a staple in our beach/boat bag from now on!

Lack of privacy and more

Several things turn me off of this campground. First, the campsites offer absolutely no privacy or separation. Second, we paid for a premium site, however, our site (#65) flooded and became clay-muddy when it rained. It was also difficult to find due to poor labeling. Third, many of the sites did t take advantage of the view of the lake by having the hookups on the “wrong” side of the site.

Lakeside

Small campground. The sites are all dirt, very few are level. The are pretty close together. In need of maintenance.

Geese, ducks, ROOSTER!

Beautiful place but the rooster! 4:30 in the morning! Maybe get far from the office.

Site 29 Very Nice!

Water access wasn’t very good but the site was big and private! It’s quiet and well kept.

Great Family Campground!

This is a great family campground on a beautiful lake with most sites directly on the water. Our boys kayaked all weekend. Great beach area as well. One of our favorites!

Very clean

Nice and friendly staff

Quiet and Beautiful

Some sites are challenging to back into but worth the effort. Large resort State Park with lots of activities and access to Strom Thurmond lake. Friendly and very helpful staff.

Spacious sites with great lake views

Had a very relaxing overnight stay here.  Would of stayed longer to enjoy even more of the area.  Highly recommend coming here for a night or a week.

A great quick stop. It served us was a quick respite from the road. Friendly staff and pretty, quiet environment let us relax and soak up a beautiful day by the springs.

Loved it!

Nice swimming and fishing lake. Nice views and waterfront lots.

Fun times!

Our family loves this campground! Lot for the kids to do! Had activities planned throughout our time there. Not much shade and camper had a hard time cooling but overall a wonderful experience. We will be back!

No tent camping

No tent camping no fishing and no swimming. Why go?