Malheur National Forest, OREGON

The #1 Camping App

Link to the App Store Link to Google Play
Most Recent Malheur National Forest Camping Reviews
I grew up caming here.

Since i was real young my family would always go here and we have a camp spot that we called the hilton. I will always go there for the rest of my life. I 100% recommend.

Fall relaxing weekend

Clean, well maintained, cooking supplies provided, heated house with fridge. Outhouse was clean. Recommended bring you own light, the lanterns did not provide a lot of light and your own blanket for the beds.

Bare Bones yet beautiful

I stayed at the teepee next to the John Day River. There are two total and they are a little isolated from the campground. They provide a large camping area and fireplace with a beautiful view of the mountains behind the camp. The front view, however, leaves a bit to be desired. There is a highway in front of the campground and a big parking lot with rv water hookups, so vehicles are constantly coming in and out. There is also a restroom, which is a considerable walk from the teepee, and makes it feel more like a reststop than a campground.

The rest of the campsites are in a wooded loop and seem much nicer than the teepee area. The teepee inside is very bare bones compared to the luxury of yurts offered at other camp grounds. The floor is a concrete slab. There are six green acrylic mats and a small stool and very small space heater. There are holes in the bottom parts of the teepee and a giant gap in the ceiling. All of these elements would be nice in the summer. Trying to sleep in here when its 27 degrees is another story. Next time i will stay in a tent. The campground provides a free bundle or firewood.

Enjoyed the quiet night

Enjoyed a last sunny weekend home at this campground. I am a tent camper and enjoyed the weekend. Quite and clean. Alot of spaces for larger groups and elbow room between most spaces.

Stayed here while passing through.

Nice little camp ground right on the unity lake reservoir. Camp was quite, people were friendly. Showers were free. Bring lots of bug spray, they were everywhere.

Large campground with creekside sites

Loved the campground. Little spendy @ 22 a night & 10 a night for extra vehicle, but the bathrooms were super clean and not fly infested for vault toilets. Lots of sites are creekside, ours was one. Tons of exploring opportunities. Sites vary in size from single small tent sites to large/ group size sites. Upper Rogue River Trail is right by the campground. Short walk to Union Creek store, cafe, and ice cream shop.

Really nice place

Big spaces to park in. Grounds are well kept. Showers are no charge clean and work great. Nice stream to fly fish in.

Loved the isolation in the middle of the forest.

Wife and I stayed here in June 2019, and loved it. The building is quaint with gaslights, and gas fireplace. The fold out bed is old and worn out. I recommend putting an air mattress or at least sleeping pads on it.

There's a big refrigerator and gas stove in the kitchen, along with some pots and pans for cooking. But NO running water for drinking or cooking. so bring plenty of water.

There's a nice vault toilet outside the guard station. The outhouse is much newer than the guard station and kinda looks like a public toilet in the woods. But it's within the fenced boundary of the guard station.

Right in the middle of the Malheur Forest, this would be a great place to stay for deer/elk hunting season.

Fishing is good if you go over to the John Day river.

We saw Pronghorn in the Silvies Valley heading to the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge. I had to see the place that the standoff with the Feds took place.

Beautiful lake and campground!

My husband and I camped here for our one year anniversary! We had such an incredible time with our two dogs! We caught several trout every day and loved how quiet and peaceful the campsite was at night! We can’t wait to go back someday with our family!!!

Off the Beaten Track

Really nice small campground. It’s accessed from a nine or ten mile dirt road, a bit of a challenge to navigate the last mile. There was a beautiful creek running through the campsite and great large pine trees. Clean bathrooms. We camped there on a Monday night and the campground was probably two thirds full.