Fossil, OREGON

Most Recent Fossil Camping Reviews
Awesome Views & Solitude

First off, I had a great time staying here. Before I arrived I had some ideas of what my stay would be like and while I did have a nice stay, it was not exactly the trip I had expected. I am a female in my early twenties and was tent camping solo for the first time. I grew up camping with my family so I am experienced but this was my first time camping completely alone. When I planned my trip I assumed this was a spot where other travelers and campers would stay so I was hoping that the presence of other people would provide some comfort to counter the fact that I was camping alone. When I arrived there were people in the day use area but as I drove back to where people would normally camp there was nobody in sight. As the evening came I realized there was not going to be any other campers for miles. Needless to say I made it through the night just fine with no emergencies but I was so nervous the whole time that I had a very restless sleep with my hand practically on my bear spray all night.

I woke up the next morning, went on a beautiful hike with some amazing views and continued on my road trip. Overall the location is great, I would camp here again if I were with other people or if I were staying in a converted van or camper of some sort. But being a solo, young, female tent camper in this location without any other campers around for miles was a little too scary for my taste.

Top of the pass

Camp ground is high up over 4700 feet so even in the summer it tends to get a little chilly at night but not bad.

This is a medium busy campground right on the maon road, but its never too noisy after dark.

The place is very clean and the vault toilets well looked after and not stinky!

The spaces are a good size and the ones for tent camping are at the back of the loop.

Not much trails but you can find something to do.

One of my best nights camping was ip here. During the week late summer, Huge full moon, then the coyotes began to yip/howl..magnificent

Secluded

Nice free camp ground.

Have to becafreful and not pass the road you need to take off 26.

The road to the campground goes through private ranch lands then up into the forest.

The road is paved but has a few cattle grids and often times cattle laying on the road, but they move .

This place is never really busy even in the summer, but there is often a couple of sites taken.

Some nice trails lead off from the back of the site.

This is a nice place just to get away and miraculously i get a couple of bars on my AT&T cel.

Exotic High Desert Adventure

One of the most beautiful places I camped in Oregon. The remote location, dry desert landscape, lovely clear river and incredible canyon rock formations make for a very interesting experience. Was there on a Thursday and was the only camper, although there are people using the boat launch during the day. For $8 can’t be beat!

Beautiful location, but part of the camp is closed

We tried to go to the GPS location stated at this listing but at one point the road was closed. We tried a different route and found couple of camping spots but without any signs. Luckily there was an other car camping there so we settled, and after all it was a beautiful location!

Lockit Campsite Lower Deschutes

If you’re rafting in— When you enter the Lockit area look for a composting toilet on your left. There’s one official site directly below the composting toilet. We stayed in the big open field next to it.

I don’t think this is technically an “official” campsite but it has a lovely composting toilet that smells like fresh cedar. Had been rafting all day and decided to make this spot work b/c other official sites were full. Turned out to be a great decision. It’s a bit rough lugging all of your stuff up. Flat spots for tents are up by the train tracks.

This spot turned out to be one of my favorites. The most beautiful scenery. Night sky was unreal. Feels like no one is around for miles. Can’t say enough.

Beware of the train that rolls in every 4hrs or so.

No drinking water or hookups of any kind. No fires. Must bring everything.

Beavertail Campsite Lower Deschutes

Stayed here for one night during a 3-day rafting trip. It’s worth the drive down the never ending gravel road. A quiet little oasis on the lower Deschutes surrounded by beautiful rock. 15 or so campsites and was surprised by how big the sites were. Large picnic tables, clean bathrooms and water pump.

Quick access to the river. We easily parked two rafts, a kayak and a cataraft here overnight, so if you’re rafting, etc. no worries.

We went in August and fires were prohibited.

Will stay again next year! Highly recommend. Bring cash for payment.

Junktown and Methville

Only a couple of spots available to back in to and the others are taken up by the less than desirable full time occupants, the owners or slumlords who own the motel across the street from the park have purchased older RVs and rent them on a monthly basis, it will do in a pinch but do yourself a favor and go to the RV park 5 miles out of town by the reservoir.

Great little gem

Came through CC by chance. Intended on staying at DeSchutes River but they were full. Paid 10 bucks for a night. Several pit toilets throughout the area. Sites were adequate with privacy barriers for those close to each other. Appeared to be a swimming area on the river close up the camp (didn’t check it out).

Be prepared for some wind due to topography.

Clean, beautiful, quiet, relaxing, family friendly

First come first serve sites with fire rings. There is overflow camping in the lawn without a fire ring but with a picnic table. Restrooms are very clean and campground is well maintained. Winds can pick up in the canyon so be sure to have strong tent stakes. Right next to the John Day River great walking path along the River. Fenced dog park for your pet and free bicycles for use.