About Strawberry Campground

Strawberry Campground is located at the edge of the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness.  Set amongst ponderosa pine in a beautifully wooded area, the campground is an excellent starting point for anyone wanting to hike, hunt, fish or simply relax.  Strawberry Basin Trailhead is located at the campground.  Strawberry Basin Trail #375 connects to other trails in the wilderness allowing for day hiking or backpacking trips.

National Forest
Strawberry Campground is located in Oregon
Directions
From the town of Prairie City, OR., turn onto South Main Street.  Follow South Main Street to the junction with Bridge Street.  Turn left onto Bridge Street.  After turning onto Bridge Street travel 0.2 miles to the second right turn which is Bridge Street again.  Turn right onto Bridge Street and continue out of city limits, the road becomes County Road 60 at city limits.  Continue on County Road 60 for approximately 7 miles the road then becomes Forest Service Road #6001.  Travel on Forest Road #6001 for approximately 2 miles to the campground.  This is an OPEN County road to the Forest boundary, then an open FS road to the campground. Please respect private property to the Forest boundary.
3 Reviews of Strawberry Campground
Off the Beaten Track

Really nice small campground. It’s accessed from a nine or ten mile dirt road, a bit of a challenge to navigate the last mile. There was a beautiful creek running through the campsite and great large pine trees. Clean bathrooms. We camped there on a Monday night and the campground was probably two thirds full.

Nice, quiet and secluded

This was a great little campground for getting away from the Memorial Day crowds. Over the weekend we stayed, there were only 2 or 3 other campers as well.

Just south of Prairie City, this was a good location to explore the surrounding Strawberry Mountain wilderness and John Day Fossil Beds. As the road turns to a forest road, it’s gets a bit adventurous, but we just kicked it into 4 wheel drive and had no trouble getting there. We picked a site next to the creek in the back and it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves. We even got a visit from a few deer every night around dinner time. They kept their distance but still came within 20 feet to check us out.

From the campground, you can take the trails to the lake, which was a fun hike. The vault toilets were clean and the Ranger came around every day to check in. The only thing I would change is the temperature. We didn’t realize it was still so chilly at the end of May and we’re thankful for our extra layers and warmer sleeping bags we packed just in case.

Tips for camping here:

*I had my 9 year old nephew with me for this trip and was thankful I brought our bikes and games. Since the campground wasn’t busy, there weren’t other kiddos for him to play with so we needed some fun stuff to do between hikes and outings.

*There’s a steep drop off next to some sites that goes right into the creek. Keep an eye on kiddos or pick a site farther away from the creek if you’re worried about that.

*The campground was a bit dusty so bring stuff to wash up when needed.

*Lots of wildlife in the area so make sure to keep your food and other items locked up so the critters don’t get into it.

*Bring your own firewood, as there isn’t a camp host to buy it from.

Rough road for a Mazda 3...

I was lured to Strawberry Campground by it's accessibility to the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness. I'd been planning my trip for months! But, the drive to Strawberry Campground proved a bit difficult. It started with approximately 6 miles of gravel road…no problem. Then the road became a forest road…no problem. Then it began raining. It looked as though the area had experienced rain recently. The road was slick. The ruts and holes in the road began to increase. When I was about 2 miles away from Strawberry Campground, I turned around. I just didn't trust my Mazda 3 to make it without bottoming out or getting a flat tire. If I had been with someone, I might have tried to make it; but, as a solo camper, it didn't seem worth the risk.

Would I go again? Yes…but, only in a high clearance vehicle.