The best RV SITES camping near
Toledo , NORTH CAROLINA

Most Recent Toledo Camping Reviews
Reality doesn’t match website

We were so excited to spend a week here based on the website. Not sure when those photos were take but the place is seriously run down. I have never seen potholes so big! The sites at “The Overlook” have a good view but there is zero grass and anything outside of where you park is red mud. I hope they spend some money to restore the campground to beauty.

Terrible cancellation policy.

We reserved for 5 nights and they took the entire sum upfront, $237. They offered us NO refund and NO opportunity to change our reservation to a later date. No exceptions. This is especially terrible during a global pandemic when even airlines are more lenient and understanding of change in plans.

Nice weekend to test new camper

We decided to test out our new camper locally so took it about an hour away to Warriors Path. It rained the whole weekend, but we got out and walked the park as much as we could during the breaks. We’re here during the off season, so much of the campground is closed, but walked around to see if there was a better site for us when we come back. Decided most sites are too small for our 36’ camper, but site #61 worked fine so that’s probably what we would book again. If it were warmer and drier, there’d be a lot to do here—hiking trails, golf course, mountain biking (you do have to drive a couple miles to the trail head), frisbee golf, paddle boats, playgrounds, and the lake to swim-boat-or fish. There’s a Walmart super center just about 5 miles away if you need anything and a grocery store even closer. Kingsport is just a few minutes away with lots of restaurants and places to shop. Lots of wildlife. We saw 30 deer and 15 turkeys on our ride to the mtn bike trailhead alone. We will definitely return.

Just FYI, there is no sewer hookup, which isn’t a problem, but just in case you need to prepare. There is a dump station. No WiFi or cable. We played lots of board games since it rained the whole weekend.

Beautiful setting, gross bathhouse

Beautiful spot next to the river. The downside was the bathrooms/showers were really gross. Otherwise it was a good campground.

Awesome for dogs and people!

We camped here back in August and had a blast! We brought our two dogs and they also had a great time. This site is very dog friendly (obviously), with many sites having their own fenced in yards. We opted for a site without a fence, which we regretted once we got there. The gravel at our site was painful for our dog’s feet and they had a hard time walking on it. The dog parks made up for this! There are multiple large dog parks located at the campground. The restrooms were awesome, but are single person use only. We felt like we were the only ones using them (that’s how well maintained they were). Campsites are close together but we didn’t mind. The staff was great, they helped us find our site and even helped us back our camper in. There was power and water hookup at each site. There is tons of stuff to do around the area too. Chimney Rock and Lake Lure are right around the corner and SO FUN.

Expensive, Narrow Site

My husband and I, along with our 2 dogs, stayed at Rutledge Lake RV Resort for 1 night in our Mercedes Sprinter campervan. We prefer to make our reservations online, and found it a bit odd that they actually use a third party booking site that only submits a request to book so we didn't have a confirmed booking until mid-morning the day of our arrival. They also don't offer guaranteed site numbers so you don't know your site until you arrive. In addition, we found out after we arrived that due to the temps we were not supposed to use the water connections. We found it to be to be an extremely expensive reservation, especially given the inability to use the hookups we had purchased. For reference, we paid$68 for one night and had just completed a 4 night stay at another park for$74 total. While the lake was pretty, the sites are very narrow and there is zero privacy. There's also a fair bit of road noise as well. There don't seem to be a ton of great options in the Asheville area and since we needed WiFi in the morning for my husband's work meeting, we opted to stay here, but we wouldn't choose to stay here again in the future. For campers that like lots of amenities, perhaps this is a great fit, but it just wasn't worth it for us. I think it's also worth mentioning that in trying to use the key card the automatic gate dropped on the front of our vehicle, and then in order to park close enough to the hookups my husband hit a post when opening the driver's door.

Ok park

Park is ok for overnight stay, if traveling, the best thing about the park was the riverside sites. Interstate traffic was loud, WiFi wasn’t strong enough to connect to, no amenities other than the bath houses (we didn’t use) & walking trail that apparently ran along most of the length of the road,sites were muddy (due to all the rain) when you come off the interstate you have to make a extremely hard right to get into park, not possible with a big rig…had to go up to the office/shop and turn around.

Stunning Campground

We didn’t know what to expect when we reserved our campsite at Mama Gertie’s but we were blown away! We stayed in the upper campground which required a drive up a steep road from the lower to upper sites - but it was absolutely worth the trip. Stunning views of the Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains plus great facilities. There is a bathhouse and laundry facility in the center of the upper campground plus full hookups at each site. There are a number of pull through sites that also get their own porch and porch swing right on the edge of the mountain. We had a back-in site with great views of the mountains. Still our overall favorite campground - and the city of Asheville is a blast too.

Made for large groups not intimate getaways

Be prepared for an encyclopedia of reading all the rules. I found the yurts and cabins to be way too close together for any type of privacy. Maybe they have it set up that way for big groups to come in at once? But it was so noisy with kids and dogs echoing in the valley, and we could even hear the neighboring cabins talking while sitting around their campfire. I suppose if I was there with a group of close friends it would be okay but it seems with all the land they have that they could have given each person more privacy in their spaces. One more thing that may help is we hiked all of the trails and noticed in several places there were 3-4 inch protrusions where small trees where cut down but not cut all the way back to the ground and I almost sprained my ankle. They all did spray paint some of the roots and had the trails nice and cleared but the exposed ends of the small trees throughout the trail are a real hazard. I’m super fit and have good eyesight and hike a lot so I was able to dodge many of them but I’m sure the kids and the older adults may get hurt. Other than the close proximity of the cabins/yurts/RVs and the exposed tree stubs I think they have a great concept (for large group events) and we enjoyed our stay. One more thing the shower handle falls off in the small yurt.

one of the best

great location with great hiking trails and place to kayak