The best EQUESTRIAN camping near
Cragsmoor , NEW YORK

Most Recent Cragsmoor Camping Reviews
Not a great “camping” experience

Stayed in a spot without water hook up. All spigots to fill camper with water were situated just off main driving lanes resulting in a lot of congestion of cars behind us when attempting to fill tanks. Spots were very cramped and sites lack any natural character. Kind of like a parking lot or a tailgate scene. Hiking trails were nice our stay was very crowded with lots of time traffic on all trails. May have been the overall crowding that negatively impacted our experience. Overall, not what we were expecting or looking for on a weekend getaway.

Beautiful and serene state park

TLDR: I would go back to this park in a heartbeat!

So I just got him from Promised Land State Park and it couldn’t have been a more relaxing weekend. We stayed at Pickerel Point in one of the loops.

Pros: Beautiful scenery, nice bath houses, big sites, easy access to the lake and pickerel point beach. Small town about 5-10 mins away where you can get the very basics, and another larger town with a grocery store, liquor store, and hardware store about 20 minutes away

Cons: dump station is a little tricky to get into or out of with a longer rig, sites can be pretty far out of level so bring lots of leveling blocks. It took 30 lego levelers for us to get level.

Fantastic, spacious campground

This is an amazing campground! We had plenty of space and easy access to the lake. We went on a busy weekend and they are currently only operating at 50% capacity. I would recommend reserving a spot well in advance. This is a very large campground with multiple different areas. It has a good water pump and the bathrooms were well maintained and had a nice sink washing area.

Beautiful hikes nearby

Very peaceful and quiet with lots to do in the area.

Beautiful facilities, rocky sites

Pros: -beautiful new bathrooms -private lakeside walk-in sites -beavers! Far away but exciting nonetheless -the Conservation Walk on the island is short, easy, and beautiful. Well-marked.

Cons: -chunky bluestone gravel on the sites, so bring a sleeping pad! -has a beach but it's not much to look at -sites have nice sizable fire pits, but they are very tall. It's difficult to cook over them, and sitting around the campfire in the evening is a much less visually appealing experience than I'd like

We stayed in site 157. Accessible via a path from the designated parking space to the site about 2 minute walk. Lakeside, but visibility not great due to vegetation. All sites have little trails down to the water.

Site 174 by the road and less private, but prettily overhung by evergreens.

The cabins look very nice inside.

Great state park

Bring your bikes and kayaks. Camped here numerous times. Some sites full hook up, and some more private than others. Nice bike loop around lake, many hiking trails, beach to swim and watch sunset. Does get crowded because it is popular. Lower lake campground is less crowded but sites close together and not as nice a view.

Secluded but still convenient

We went to Stokes for a one nighter to test out my new truck tent.  We stayed at site 11 on Lake Ocquittunk.  While making reservations it said almost all sites were full but upon arrival the vast majority of sites were empty which made for a quiet/relaxing night.  It was a fair sized site with room for a couple large tents.  Site was located on a small hill next to the lake with the road directly in front and water about 50 yards away and the bathrooms about 100 yards away.  Facilities were clean and stocked so no complaints there.  After packing up we drove down the road and were able to get in a nice 5 mile hike up to the fire tower.  Due to cooler temps there were really no bugs to complain about while camping.

Overall we had a great time and will definitely be coming back for a more extended stay.  If you are looking for more secluded campsites try to get 13 or 14 as they seem to sick back more.  Sites 8-11 are adjacent to the road and in peak times probably have a fair about of foot and vehicle traffic.

Better than I expected

I had to make a last-minute reservation for a campsite on my drive back from Maine to DC on a Friday night in September, so was a bit worried about finding anywhere decent at all.  This campground was one of the few with any sites available, and I got the second last spot.  So I had pretty low expectations.

Actually this campground is pretty nice--the campsites are of a normal size, with enough rocks and trees between sites to provide a decent amount of privacy.  Again, my campsite was one of the worst, right on the road, but still not too bad.  It would have been pretty decent if every campsite around me hadn't been full, generally with families with a bunch of shrieking kids.  But that's a weekend in September…

There are also a limited number of campsites right on the water.  The lake is nice enough, although much of it is covered in lily pads.

Bathrooms are fine.

No wood for sale on-site, but there are several places nearby to get wood, and any other supplies you need.  The campsite is not exactly remote, I think it was about a 5 minute drive to a gas station with firewood and all manner of supplies.

I would definitely stay here during the week when it might be a bit quieter.

Great place to stay!

beautiful sites for all types of campers

Lovely campground

Great location and quick to get to from NYC. 45 minute drive and location has a lot of amenities. Full bathrooms and slop sinks throughout the campsite. The campsites are a bit close to one another but if you have a big group you can book several sites near each other and have a great time with family and friends. The wildlife do roam around your campsite so be mindful of putting food and garbage away before sleeping. Hike trails are all over the place and the lake is nearby. Definitely coming back again and making this place a regular visit for my family and friends.