Chenango Bridge, NEW YORK

Camping New York Chenango Bridge
Most Recent Chenango Bridge Camping Reviews
Secluded, beautiful and close to many wonderful hikes

This is one of my favorite campgrounds to stay at in Western North Carolina. The site we chose to stay at was recommended because it was secluded, but also close to the restroom and check in (which came in handy because ended up staying an extra two nights). The campsite itself was spacious and we were able to enjoy many fires and even came with a bear proofing box, first campsite I had stayed in with one on site. They had clean restrooms and showers and friendly staff to help us find the perfect spot. I will definitely be back for more hiking adventures and to enjoy the before mountains that surround the campsite!

Hidden gem in Chenango County

You have to work a bit to find info on the Whaupaunaucau state forest as a camping destination, but for primitive campers that is part of the appeal! This is a relatively unknown oasis outside of the county, but this state forest has a network of miles of trails for both hiking and criss country skiing. There is an offifical lean-to shelter and developed campsite on trail 20 (see map) but there are several primitive sites with tent site and stine fireplace, plus dispersed leave-no-trace camping is allowed anywhere in the state forest, and the possibilities are endless. Lovely hilly vistas, pondside glens, and lots of clearings near clear streams deep in this old stately forest. A great place to get away from it all for hiking and camping but it is also a fantastic place to go if you enjoy botanizing or birding, lots of unusual species to see. Just beware of ticks, they are invading the region

Great for fall!

This was my first time visiting Greenwood County Park and I was pleasantly surprised. Your camping and recreation options are definitely better in the “off“ season because hardly anyone was here, but the fall colors were absolutely spectacular! The lake is pretty, the beach and picnic area is well kept, the campground is like a high quality state park—bravo to the Broome County Parks Department! Really enjoyed the miles of hiking trails which are supposedly also great from snowshoeing and cross country skiing in the winter. Beautiful oasis of a park near the hamlet of Lisle.

Great park with great trails!

We loved our two-night stay at this park. It is a very compact park and once you are settled, everything is within walking distance. 76 sites plus 12 cabins in two loops– an “old” one and a “new” one. The old loop has 35 sites (sites 1-12 have electric hookups but, in my opinion, they are not nearly as nice as other sites with no hookups. These 12 sites are very close together (1-6 are more like parallel parking spots) with no privacy between them. Sites 36-72 are in the new loop and can vary significantly. I was told there are future plans for electric hookups in the new loop. If you are camping in the summer, you will want Sites 36, 38, 40, 42, 48, 50, or 76 as these are very shaded and private. The sites on the outside of the grassy area(52, 54, 56, 58, 60, 62, 64, 66, 68, 70, 72) were in full sun, which was very nice in September but could be brutal during hot summer months. Some have trees for separation, but these sites are spaced a generous distance apart. The sites on the inside of the loop seem less desirable to me and no one occupied them during our stay.

Only the bathhouse in the new loop (which was very clean) had showers, which were very nice (clean with a good hard spray and hot water).

The office was staffed until 6:30 pm and since we pre-registered, the process was very smooth. There is one garbage/recycling area between the two loops and the bonus for us was propane canister recycling. There are a large day-use area and a shelter available to rent, along with two playgrounds (one designated for ages 2-5 and the other for ages 5-12). During the summer months, there is a swimming hole fed by Lower Falls; swimming is only allowed when lifeguards are present.

What we loved most about our stay here was the hike on the Gorge and Rim Trails. You can make a loop by hiking both. It was a good workout, but the views were incredible on the Gorge Trail. With your camping fee, you can also visit nearby Buttermilk Falls State Park and there is a similar, but shorter, Rim/Gorge Trail which was also worth visiting.

Super nice hiking!

The hiking in the part is incredible! The gorge trail is an absolute must do! Some spots of the campground are secluded, but I can see how some areas can get crowded. We went on a slow day and it was very empty. Showers and full bathrooms available!

Stunningly Beautiful!!

Went for a quick getaway to this little gem of a state park in the finger lakes region of New York. I’ll be coy, and use their slogan ‘Ithaca is Gorges’ and Gorgeous!!! The falls trails were all well defined and excellent for a beginner, moderate hiker. More advanced trails were also offered as well as biking trails, so plenty for any level of adventurer!! Lots of educational posters along the way to keep you informed of what you were seeing and the history about how it was created. The locals were pleasant, and eager to share fun facts about their area. We stayed at the campground in the park. It was cozy, clean, and just right for a little off the grid fun. No electricity or water hook ups available, but nice big public baths and plenty of water access all around the camp ground. (Say one water spot every 3-4 camp sites). There was also a dump station and trash dumpsters easily accessible at the entrance. Can not wait to go back, planning a week long trip next year and will do all three tours, wine, beer, and cheese!! Till next September!! Stay Gorges!!!

Wonderful

The place is amazing. Perfect getaway and dog friendly. Definitely will come back

Nice

Very accommodating.

We go camping at newtown at least 2 or 3 times a month. Its a great place.

Away from it all!

Nice, field style campground, away from everything. They have nice events every other Saturday during summer. Pool, playground and a nice little store on site. Had everything we needed, FHU, 50 amp, large pull through sites.

rustic family cabin

we just returned to philly after a long weekend here. this was our 6th consecutive summer visiting here. very secluded. we let the kids and dogs run pretty much wherever without worry. and close to ithaca so you can drive into town easily. the yard is surrounded by wild berry bushes and every year the kids walk up the lane and pick beautiful wildflower bouquets for me. we are used to tent camping so the lack of electricity and plumbing doesn’t bother us one bit. and the water pump is awesome. nancy is a great host and we look forward to our annual trip up next summer!

First time but not the last

What a great campground! Small, beautifully kept and the staff is absolutely amazing. The fishing is great, the amenities are very clean and there is not a bad site in the park.

Hidden Gem

Great place, low key camping with power. Nice spacious lots. Gravel sites help keep the camper clean and keeps the mud down. Convenient location to explore the Finger Lakes. 30-40 minutes from Watkins Glen, Ithaca and Corning.

Family Friendly Camping

I chose this campground because the photos of the pool/splash pad looked fun. It turns out the tent site we had was the most wooded and cozy site we have camped in all year. So much room for tents/hammocks. Trees galore. The tent sites were right behind the athletic field where they did activities the weekend we were there (bounce house). The restrooms were fantastic too, the buildings held two complete rooms with a toilet sink and shower in each. It’s the only shower camping this year my 4yr old wasn’t afraid of because we had the whole room to ourselves.

Awesome!

This is a beautiful campground. I stayed at site 42, which was mostly shady. The upper part of the campground is pretty private, while the lower end near the entrance/exit is more open. There is a small playground for kids. The bathrooms are fairly clean and well maintained. For washing dishes there is a sink in each bathroom. The campground is very walkable to the swimming area, which goes to 12 feet deep and has a dock to jump off of. The hiking to the waterfall is very manageable. There is also at least 2 other state parks within 30 minutes to visit if you have time.

Great facilities

We went up for a weekend trip. Tent camping. Site was sufficiently private and tucked away, but water/bathrooms/showers were close enough. Very clean facilities! Really enjoyed the kayaking and beach area. The trails were not all that great and provided only minor enjoyment.

RV/tent campground in a beautiful setting

This is a gated campground that we stayed at 6/30/19-7/04/19. We are NOT an RV. We own a Napier tent that hooks to our truck so that we can sleep up in the bed. However, due to it being a holiday week, the tent sites were completely booked and they only have 4(which also have water& electric). The tent sites are located in the back of the campground behind the sports field within the trees. I unfortunately didn’t get a chance to see them but they have them pictured on their website. They let us book an RV site and it was rough setting up on a gravel RV site but we understood that we were not within a normal tent element and placed an extra tarp under the tent. The campground is located at the top of some beautiful and scenic driving through farmland in Pennsylvania and you will be 30 minutes from anything like shopping or small town amenities(we drove to Walmart after setting up to get our perishables since we drive up from Virginia). Our site had water and electric, was a drive through spot for a typical RV with a section to the side of the drive through for the fire pit and picnic table. We were located right next to the shower/bathrooms/playground and had some tree coverage and shade. A lot of the RVs in the campground are permanent sites and our neighbors never showed so we had a quiet buffer but it was not a noisy campground. It appeared that they cleaned the bathrooms twice daily and we were impressed with the cleanliness of the bathroom/showers. There were 4 in the building so we never had to wait. The staff were friendly and helpful. They had a store right next to the pool area that offered common items and RV'er might need with a small grocery area as well which included bundles of wood($6 honor system after hours) and Ice($1.78 per bag). We were allowed to run an account which we paid at the end of our stay. Our campsite was required to be paid at check in. The campground is 18 acres with gravel roads, a sports field, fishing, horse shoes, bocce ball, multiple playgrounds, a rec center with some games, claw machines etc. a splash pad and salt water pool. You will be doing a lot of walking or bring your bicycles like we did. They offer scheduled activities for holidays etc and various weekend activities. You can rent non electric boats and they offer catch& release fishing without a PA license in the lake. My son caught 2 sunfish :) They have guidelines for visitors and quiet hours(my cousin came to visit us in the evenings as she lived close by). We enjoyed camping here even if we were on an RV site. We booked site 211 which had the little bit of tree coverage and was located right next to the showers/bathrooms/playground with a quick walk to the lake for fishing. Most of the other available sites in the road ahead of us had no tree coverage but closer to the lake had more trees and shade. OR, just get an actual tent site :) but they are all the way at the back of the campground, furthest from the lake so I actually preferred our site.

Closed

After a person was killed by a falling tree in a storm this campground was closed.

Nice place to get away

I’ve been camping at Gilbert lake for 35 or so years. It’s pretty quiet, the state has made many sites bigger over the last few years and is starting to add electricity to more sites. You can fill your water tank at the dump station as there are no water hookups. There is plenty of places to get water to wash dishes or whatever you need. The Shower/ bathroom buildings are a bit dated but well maintained. There’s miles of hiking trails including one around the lake. Multiple really nice pavilions, disc golf course and a nice beach with lifeguards for swimming. I would definitely recommend.

New York State’s big mistake

The park had great potential the pond is fairly large and is great for fishing or a canoe/kayak. The rustic sites are small but could have been so much more if the state hadn’t walked away. What little is there has fallen into disrepair or was never finished and is falling down. It’s too bad there’s amazing potential there

Magical place to spend time together

Beautiful beaches - great family fun

History, lite hiking, great camp sites

Great site. Pretty self serve, rangers drive through often but never seems to be anyone at the check-in. You can reserve a site or a cabin, or you can show up after three and see what is open. Communication isn't great. Our site which was reserved was not on the board. The reservation system showed us and two others before Friday, at eight thru ten cars came in looking for sites. If I had been late getting in an my site was taken I'd have had to call a ranger to evict. Again, they are driving around doing chores, but no one was there at the office. Trails are well signed at intersections, and they are well worn, but mostly without blazes. Camp sites are tidy and we'll mowed, a trash can at each site, nice combo grill/fire ring. Got a black leg tick, so heed the signage and check for them. Bathroom/showers were well cared for.

Used to stay as a kid

Administered by Chemung county. Fills up very fast. No fuel powered boats. Nice swimming area. Open for winter recreation too.

Great Campground

The sites are roomy. We had one that backed up to the creek, it was great to sit at the campfire and hear the water. So much to do, pool is awesome, the kids loved the playgrounds and mini golf and the hay ride. The owner and staff were super nice. We will definitely be going back at least once a year.

Shady and lots to do

So close to the swimming area and lots of hiking trails. Also within 10 minutes of the town. Beautiful area

Peaceful spacious campsites

You can hear the waterfall nearby from the campground. Beautiful area with a hiking trail to get to the lake or taughnock falls. One of my favorite areas

I have never stayed at the Inn but have been camping on the river for 15 years

I love the property and the family that operates it. My son had his first camping trip there when he was ten days old. It is great family camp ground with amenities that are helpful to parents and new campers such as restrooms, showers, camp shop, canoe/kayak/tube rentals and designated drive in sites with fire ring and table. As well as sites with water/ electric hookup. Yet, it still manages to maintain a more remote and rustic feel by preserving the trees, stream and riverfront property in a mutual state without concrete pads or driveways. There is no commercial aspect that I find when at most “family” parks with pools, arcades and cabins. The sites are larger than most campgrounds and well spaced out. I have been there on busy holiday weekends where it was full but still peaceful and private with a great community of campers and on weekdays and off weekends when it felt as if I had the river to myself. I have never had a bad experience in at least 20 trips.

Good weekend

Pick this park has it was going to be my sons first trip camping. It’s a smaller park with a small hiking trail around the lake there is swimming at the lake with lifeguards, only down side was it had just one central bathroom for the whole campground having to wait for shower stalls was a little issue but very hot water even after waiting which was good and depending where your camp site is it’s a bit of a walk to it..

Real Quiet in Early Spring

Campground has cabins and yurts, pull in sites for RV’s and strictly walk in tent sites. There is a beautiful lake and a very large pool. We went in early spring midweek, it was very quiet and exactly the get away we wanted.

Grew up here!

I’ve been here so many times, camping in tents and also in the cabins. There are a couple different sections to choose from. Cell signal is not great in most places except the sites “on top of the hill”. There is a big lake that is very built up for swimmers and has a playground, water sport rentals and more. There are also volleyball courts and horseshoes. Great place to bring the family!