Santa Rosa, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Santa Rosa Camping Reviews
Wife's favorite

Camped out in the open. Bright full moon. Beautiful trail along creek. Awesome stone shelters

Nice location...perfect for an overnight

There are two camping areas here, Mesquite Loop & Pecos. Mesquite appeared to be more popular with tent campers which is where we camped. The site had a covered picnic table, fire pit (but burning was prohibited during our visit) and ample space to set up a tent. Lake was within view of the site and a boat ramp was located down the road. Beautiful morning sunrise.

Hidden Gem

Stayed one night on the drive back to Texas. Happened upon this place and it was an easy after-hours check-in! Ran into the owner who was working late and he made sure we were settled and checked to see if we needed any help! Plenty of space at the pull through sites with easy hook-up. We will definitely stay here again on our next trip west!

More for Rv’s

The primitive campsites are the only good spot for tent camping. There two big campsites are more for Rv’s

Gorgeous stop off of I-40

Me and my family were looking simply for a night to rest after a long drive. About 25 minutes off of 1-40, we drove through the quaint, pretty town to get to our campsite which is all easy to find and access. We were stunned in the morning by the scenic overlook we camped on and the air smelled and felt great. There is a pleasant hike that leads to a sort of fortification that was historically garrisoned by some Texan insurgents at some point during the Mexican American war. Check it out!

Wonderful Area

Very beautiful drive up to the lake and campsite. While the vegetation and terrain is pretty open, there is still quite a bit of privacy at the individual sites. Bathrooms were clean. Wonderful sunrise over the lake. Very nice playground for the kids.

Loved it!

We were road tripping cross country and realized we wouldn’t make it to the campsite we originally planned for. We found this campground and it was fantastic. A little off the beaten path but was worth it. Each campsite had a picnic area some even had shelters over them! The lower campground was right next to the river (very high when we were there). The upper campground was open (where we stayed) the upper campground had pit toilets but they were well maintained. A short walk down the hill to the lower campground there were shower and restroom facilities. We stayed one night before hitting the road again only $10 for the non-hook up sites.

Nice view of the lake.

I stayed in a primative area near the lake shore. The campground, about 1/2 mile away had tables, toilets and water. Nice place but windy when I was there.

excellent base location

Spent a week on our travels around the western US. This location had one of the hardest working owners in any location. We had noticed a little sound from our passenger front brake. Ask if he knew someone, he did and said he would make the call. We then left for day and when we returned the the repair service had come resolved the issue. During the time we were there that is what we saw happening every day. Full Hook Ups not a fancy resort. We used this location to go to National Monuments, Tour Albuquerque and Santa Fe. Lots of overnighters but if when we go back to this area this will be our stop.

Rocky Shorelines And Hard Packed Campsites

I stopped in this camp when taking a brief trip through Fort Sumner on the way back to Texas from Las Vegas. The town of Fort Sumner itself is known for its Billy The Kidd presence and there are many things to do in the area in regard to that which are interesting. But just as much as I wanted to check that out, I wanted to check out another unique spot in New Mexico to stay the night and this campsite seemed to be one of the closest.

I liked this because there were both tent and RV sites, so naturally I felt a bit more at home than I would have it had ben a park which focuses daily on RVs and leaves tents as an after thought.

The lake itself wasn't my favorite lake of New Mexico, though it seemed large everything around it was pretty dry. The banks were more of a gravel than a beach and some of the areas were rocky with larger boulders making it a little more difficult to find a recreational place to just enjoy the water. I definitely needed water shoes to get into or near the water.

I chose a primitive site although they do have some which have connections, my reason for selecting this site was its location which I thought would have a great view of the sunrise and the lake, unfortunately it ended up raining the morning so there was no beautiful sunrise. But for only $8 I couldn't really complain especially since I was able to take advantage of the lake a bit the evening before.

I noticed the lake was typically of any lake with a lot of the activities of the park centering around it, however they also had a few hiking trails, a small visitor center to check out a little light information about the location and outdoor education programs which were mostly held on weekends.

It wasn't really that busy when I was there on the weekday I passed through and camp felt pretty quiet throughout the duration of my stay.

Restrooms located near me were vault style but they did have a bathroom with running water and showers as well, depending on where you elect to stay you will be nearby some kind of accommodations. My site being primitive was really primitive and had no table or fire ring, but I did notice for $10 you could have both just a little distance from where my site was located. I personally didn't need either when staying.

TIPS:

• Check into the park office for minor supplies, anything bigger you will need to travel Into town where there are numerous stores.

• When in the area make sure to stop in at the Billy The Kidd Museum and Bosque Redondo Park both are staples of the area and contain a lot of history which will tell the story of New Mexico past in some of the most infamous ways.

water view

it was April and still a bit cold but there were only 4 sites occupied here and we had the sites right on the water front. it’s more like a parking lot but some sites have trees. I have 18 foot travel trailer and can’t beat the price for hook ups

Loved it!

I stayed at the North Campground in the park and it was great. The bath house was recently renovated and very clean. The only downside to the park was that the tent pads we rock and gravel making it very difficult to stake a tent. Each site had a covered picnic table and a charcoal grill. There was easy access to drinking water and there was an access road to the lake close by.

Pretty oasis

This is a hidden gem. We were evacuated from our camping spot in Northern New Mexico due to wildfires and set out for a new spot. Exhausted from driving, we pulled into this campground. It is clean, well maintained and the dog got a kick out of doing a bit of swimming. There is unique topography and enough to explore for a night or two.

On the I40

Convenient location on the I40. Laundry facility, pool. The tiny town has very little to do or see besides the tourist attraction of the “Blue Hole”. If you’re here you may as well go see it. It’s like 5 mins from the rv park. Also there is a Dollar General nearby to restock on essentials. Quiet place to get a good nights rest.

Great campgrounds

We went 2017 summer and it was one of the best campgrounds we have been to. We had lots of fun in the creek and hiking the trails.

Really pleasant park

The park itself is tucked away into a canyon between two towering cliffs. There are shady campsites along the Pecos river, which was a little high when we visited in June, but otherwise might be nice to float down on a tube. In fact, some adventurous neighbors were floating--but I was one mom and had 6 kids with me (between my own and some friends). There are also some campsites higher up with a commanding view, but less shade.

There is fishing in the river, hiking up to the mesas with commanding views, geocaching, a playground, showers, relaxation, and it is only a short drive to Las Vegas, NM. The adobe picnic shelters were wonderful. No phone signals in the park, but hiking up to the mesa will catch you a decent number of bars (as joyfully discovered by my teen). The campsites are really spacious, and water is easily accessible. The group shelter and camping area was gorgeous. There is a small visitor center with really friendly and helpful park staff.

While this campsite is not particularly visited by bears, etc., please be advised to keep your food OUT OF your tent. The squirrels and chipmunks are particularly good at finding food and did cut a hole through our neighbors tent to get to it! Likewise, unattended food at the campsite will be carried away by our four legged critters with super fluffy tails.

Great place to visit

There are a few prime reservable sites by the river, otherwise it is first come, first served. Most sites can accommodate either tent or rv camping, and some both. The playground and hiking trails are fun for kids. The general store in town is fair, but be selective on buying firewood. Sometimes it is fairly green. It is a campground I go to annually, the night skies are wonderful.

Ok spot.

We had been driving all day and this campground is one of few campgrounds in the area. So it served us well. We just stayed one night, didn't seem like much to do in the area. 10 miles from town. Power and non-power sites. One loop of the campground was closed when we were there.

Nice location

Great get-away location. Near a stream, which can get a pretty fast current on run-off months, so careful with little ones and dogs. There are playgrounds for kids, many different sites, some pretty close together, some not so much. We camped as a group for cubscouts, and it wasn't bad but too spread out. The area is beautiful with nice hiking near by. The folks in the town are very friendly, I bought firewood from them for a great price, definitely got more than my money's worth.

Good Hiking, Nice Sites

A couple of good hiking trails, campsites right on the Pecos. I can imagine it gets a little busy, but it's an underrated park with nice, big sites, good fishing and hiking.

Charming Lake

There is a nice little shoreline trail that takes you around the lake. Campsites were nice, each site had a table. Some of the stalls in the bathroom were missing toilet paper and both the men's and women's bathrooms were out of soap. According to the maintenance schedule the bathrooms hadn't been checked in two days.

Conchas

This has to be my favorite lake in NM. Bathrooms with showers, restaurant and convenient store, and gas station. We always rent a boat slip and go night fishing!

Motorcycle Camping

We arrived late in the afternoon and found the park by asking at a local gas station. It is a few miles NE of town although if you come in from the NW the highway signs are a little scarce. The site was comfortable (we had an RV site with electricity) and a good amount of space. The shower was ok but annoyingly short on time span for each "push" on the button. We would stay there again.