Salem, NEW MEXICO

Most Recent Salem Camping Reviews
Great park

We didn’t get to use any of the amenities as we were just stopping through on our way to Florida from California. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. We had no problems fitting our rig that is 70ft overall length in. Will be stopping here again.

Quit Stop

Was a big grass camping area lots of space. Close to the water from camping sites….Grills tables and shade area….

Spectacular views

Spent an August Saturday night at the campground. Drive-in, pit toilets (pretty clean) and ~50 sites. Low light pollution and amazing views of the Organ Mountains. Organ Needle, Rabbit Ears, Sugarloaf, and Baylor peaks are all visible from the campgrounds. Would have been perfect except for neighboring campers that were making noise until midnight.

Best park in town!!!

This place is actually now a resort. Indoor heated pool and hot tub. High speed internet. Cable. 2 clean laundry rooms. Dog park. Dog walk. New clubhouse. Weekly events. Playground. Top rated Good Sam Park.

Star gazing camp sites

Just a great free place to pull off for the night. Outhouses and trash cans available, but that's it. Countless spots to chose from. Pack it and pack out. We were the only ones there for two nights. It was super quiet and the stars at night were amazing.

Camp amongst the boulders

This place is so unique. Many sites are tucked away in these massive boulders. Clean facilities and nice visitor center. You are the middle of the desert so be prepared!

Coolest Park Ever.

So we actually did not camp here. We cancelled at the last minute and stayed in a hotel due to a sick child. But we visited the park just now for the last 2 hours! It is a giant playground if you love rocks! Our kids weaved in and out of the almost endless rock formations! As for the camping, there is a strip for campers and tents and some have electric hookups. They all have a covered picnic table and fire pit. There are also campsites within the rocks! Those all have a picnic table and fire pit, no electric. There are vault toilets around as well as a very nice visitor center with flushing toilets, showers, and accessible bathrooms/showers. The visitor center bathroom is extremely clean and has water and vending machines. The visitor center has toiletries for sale and we grabbed some t-shirts for the kids! We will be back.

Family Day hang out July 2019

Always worth going

cute!

folksy and artistic quiet. Research where you need to exit you might miss it then have to go into Silver City to turn around.

Amazing!

Beautiful spot. Amazing rock formations. Probably one of the coolest campgrounds I have ever stayed at. Each site is named after a constellation you can see in the sky at night from the campground. And during the day you can see for miles and miles, it’s just so beautiful, call me, and serene! Definitely coming back.

Beautiful park.

We parked our cargo van in the tent camping spot since we dont need water or electric hookups. The tent sites are up in the rocks and they are very cool. The bath house is new (located at the visitors center) and has clean showers and toilets. We really enjoyed staying here for the night.

Modern Stone Age Campground

Little bit expected Fred and Barney to rumble up from around one of these massive natural stone megaliths at any moment! Hey this campground is nice, for being situated in the middle of nowhere desert land! Be aware: it’s hot, it’s cold, it’s sandy, it’s windy, you might not be able to stake your tent where you want (um rocks, big underground rocks). Each non-electric campsite is nestled between the huge rock formations! There’s a group campsite that’s also used to host star-viewing parties (June 21st if memory serves). There is also an RV area with hookups out in the suburbs. The visitor center has some history and information about the area as well as showers and (I assume) potable water!

Trail biking and bouldering enthusiasts will love this picturesque campsite!

Clean beautiful quiet nice campground 10+

Bring your own wood

Nice in the summer.

The desert was pretty hot and I was wishing I'd set up camp near Cloudcroft. After passing white sands I saw the sign and thought, "check it out". Glad I did. Nice windy road climbs up to a great campground with plenty of trees and views of the peaks above and desert below. There is no water in the CG, but its available at the entrance, so take a gallon or two in with you.
I stayed on a Saturday night and it was loud. Kids and dogs.

clean and comfortable easy to get to.

found it clean and everyone was friendly.

So great!

Exactly what we needed!

Great spots to camp right on the lake, beautiful scenery and water.

Only issue was the amount of trash everywhere. In the water and all around the shore. Pretty disgusting that people can do that to the nature they are pretending to enjoy.

Marina was open for an ice refill, but did not have any firewood in stock. Seemed to be just opening for the season. Friendly, nice folks, lots of lake to get away for yourself too.

A great one night stay.

I had a short stay (one night) but the views were awesome. At night I could see so many stars, and in the morning I could see all the way across the Tularosa Basin to Lincoln National Forest, probably 80 miles away! The sunrise was awesome! I could easily see White Sands National Monument in the distance.

Beautiful Views

The camp host was fantastic. I got here after hours (not knowing that they lock the gates at 9 pm) and she let me in and gave me a space to crash. I was only there for a few hours and it was easy to get in and out without waking everyone else up.

Amazing, no wifi

If you need wifi, this is not the place to stay. However, be sure to visit for the day. It is so unusual. The camping spots are really cool! Pets allowed

Peaceful and small

It is hard to get an electric site here with a reservation. Boondock for a day and quickly move over to an unreserved electric site once someone leaves. Fun hiking on a volcanic mountain. You can find geodes and thunder eggs. Clean bathrooms. Excellent wifi (verizon and at&t) with booster. No limit on # of pets. Close to Mexico for dental care and shopping.

One of my favorites

Really beautiful park near Las Cruces. Very clean, nice bathrooms. Inexpensive. Pets allowed. Very large sites with a great view of the mpuntains and the Rio Grande.

OK for a stop over

Spent one night at Las Cruces KOA. This place is on the side of a mountain, but they did a good job of leveling spaces. Like most KOAs, this place loves gravel, and placing sites close together. But, the shower house was clean and there was plenty of hot water. They had a nice dog park for exercising our travel companions. The office guy was very friendly and helpful with directions.

Quiet, Inexpensive, & Warm in December!

This very popular state park, on the edge of the Elephant Butte reservoir, is a great wintertime get away. We spent the winter solstice here and woke up at sunrise to see the moon setting in the west and the sun rising in the east. Spectacular!

The campground offers many reservable spots, as well as first-come, first-served sites. Each site has water, electric, picnic table (with sunshade) and a fire ring. The bathrooms are either vault toilets or full service with showers. There are no trees for privacy, but the sites are nicely spaced apart so you don't feel like you are on top of your neighbors.

Now, we don’t normally get critical of other reviews on this site. But some were very negative about the bathrooms, and we simply cannot understand why. The bathrooms were heated, the toilets were clean, as were the showers. The water was warm! Yes, these showers are the push-button type which only gives you a minute or so of water before you push it again. However, the showers were free with the campsite, which only costs $14 (2018) and is in the desert! Water is a precious resource here, so you can’t get your nose out of joint over decisions made by management to limit water consumption when you’re only paying this little.

During the summer months when the reservoir is up to recreational levels, boating and fishing are the most popular activities. Judging by the size of the boat-launch parking lot, you’re going to have to get up early in the morning to grab a spot. There is a great hiking and mountain biking trail right out of the campground which winds between all the other park roads, picnic areas and amenities on the western side of the lake. The trail is relatively new and in most areas is graveled. However, rainstorms have washed a lot of sand across the trail in areas and it can be pretty soft. Further south along the trail we encountered many more arroyos which upped the challenge. The nice thing is that you can always hop back on the pavement to return to the campground.

The town of Elephant Butte is nearby which offers a few restaurants, a general store, and gas. But just 15 miles south is the larger town of Truth or Consequences (interesting story about the name). This town has everything you might need, grocery, gas, food and other lodging….and hot springs! Check out our blog for more details about the latter.

Family trip

Great location and very clean. Sunset was great.

Small and quiet

Small campground with no dump site. All the electric/water sites are pull-through and very close to one another. Grass and trees!

upper Campground

I was here in mid April and it was almost full. had nice pull thru site and very friendly camp host. I hav 18 foot trailer and had hookups for dirt cheap. sites are close together

Fast water,fun times

Can’t canp near the water, but can stay at sites within walking distance. Grills and bathrooms, nice to sit in a tube and float down and has a trail to hike back up after the ride

Proximity to Base Is Outstanding

Most people do not plan a vacation stop just to check out a Military Base, in fact usually that isn't something that is an option, but when I found out that the base located nearby is actually the test site for many of the warheads used today and there was in fact a museum here, I had to at least try to see it.

I found that Aguirre Spring Campground was literally at the footprint of the road to the base so it was perfect.

When I arrived I had no idea that the mountains would be so breathtaking. It is strange how they jut up different than anything else in the area and for this perfect setting for watching the world around you. The view of the area itself was worth more than the $7 fee for camping here.

So what about the facility though? I mean what can you get for $7?

Well it is pretty basic, a pit toilet, picnic tables and fire rings. It is also pretty small but spaces seem to feel comfortable despite the size of the facility probably because you don't have a lot of neighbors.

While you can see the traffic for the Holloman Air Force Base it doesn't fully allow you to see the base itself and instead you have to take the drive down the road which makes you realize that while camping here you are in fact monitored well. They have lots of signs telling you to stay on roadways because of active sites and also that there are drones monitoring the area. So while this might seem remote you are in fact probably at one of the more supervised campsites in the nation and just don't realize it.

We took a risk in trying to go see the museum, not knowing what exactly that would entail and it wasn't to hard actually, that is if you don't mind having a DOD check at the gate which takes about 15 minutes on a good day. Of course not having anything to worry about on our records we quickly passed and were allowed a permit to the museum which is on base, you do have to carry your credentials with you as you walk around however. We did see someone get turned away while we were there so not everyone is allowed access.

TIPS:

• If you are wanting to stay here and see the base make sure you have a valid license otherwise you will be immediately turned away from the base.
  • When camping here there is a strict nightly curfew for closure which has been implemented and they do close the gate so make sure you are set before 6 p.m. I am not fully sure why this exists but I am sure it has something to do with the base nearby.
Peaceful Desert Campground

Leasburg State Park is an awesome place to camp with stunning mesas and clean sites. the Campground is close to the Rio Grande where we played. The Visitor's Center is charming with a book exchange library.

A little rocky but beautiful lake. You can either stay on the north side of the damn where the lake is or stay on the south side where the Rio grande runs. We decided to stay on the river. Decent camp spots. We tried swimming across the Rio Grande. That shot was hard 😂